Dealing With Your GSD's Ears NOT Standing Erect. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2005, 11:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
The Italian One

Default Dealing With Your GSD's Ears NOT Standing Erect.

I thought it might be nice for some of us to share about dealing with weak or floppy ears.

So lets talk about it. You've tried everything and your GSD's ears just won't stand, now what? How do you deal with the disappointment? How do you deal with the doubt? How do you deal with the dumb comments unknowing people make about your GSD?

Let's help each other by sharing those experiences.

Bark A Little on Facebook
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2005, 05:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Re: Dealing With Your GSD's Ears NOT Standing Erect.

Well, I'll start. It's such a silly, little thing, but wow, how important these ears become! We tried just about everything with Asia's ears. He's a GSD X, so I had my doubts to begin with. We did the taping, glueing them together, Knox gelatin, cottage cheese, too many chew bones to mention and at about 6 months, I gave up. They aren't going up, they were never going to, much too thin, and no amount of tape in the world was going to change that. I was a little disappointed, but once I excepted it, it was a lot easier just to move on. We got Chyna about the time I decided Asia's ears would never stand. She's purebred and her ears looked very promising from day one, so I guess I turned my hopes onto her ears. That helped a lot with the disappointment, too. I now have my cute, floppy-eared Asia, and I also have my noble, very classic GSD-looking Chyna. I imagine if we hadn't gotten Chyna, I might have been a little more disappointed, as it is, I feel I got the best of both worlds. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/068.gif[/img]

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
khurley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2005, 10:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have a brother and sister and both of them have floppy ears. Bikers will stand up once in awhile and he has one that is up more then the other. Kates ears never even tried to come up. She was a sickly little thing, not quite sure how sick but I fell in love with her as soon as I saw her. I have just accepted the fact that their ears are the way they are. I do get people asking about Bikers breed, but thats mainly because he is a LC and most folks around here have not see one. I was told not to let them play rough with each other, they could break the cartlidge in their ears. Which made sense, But I never stopped them I felt like it was good for them, as far as leaning certain skills from each othere and just having a good time. I did have a girl in ob class ask if Kate was a pure breed, I said yes and she asked "what kind"?.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/really.gif[/img] All I can say is they are wonderful dogs and I love them so very very much.

Biker GSD (RIP My sweet boy)
Rugby English Bulldog (RIP We love you)
Rita English Bulldog

http://www.dogster.com/?54790
Rugs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2005, 11:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Funny, that this was just posted. I'm going through it with my Ultro. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I have come to accept that he as very soft ears. His right ear is up, has been for a long time and is not coming down. His left ear however is up with the tip flopping backwards. At first I was not worried and since most of the ear is up, I figured the rest of it would straighten up some day. But he is now 6 months old and it is still like that. Some weeks ago, the tip stood up for about 2 days 90% of the time, so I thought there was hope, but after those two days, it went back to flopping backwards. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Just yesterday I contacted a breeder who know about taping and with the help of G-burg, we taped the tip of the ear. This morning however, I guess because the weight of the tape, it is making the ear lean forward. So at this point, I don't know if that is ok or it is not woth it, as I don't want to screw up the whole ear just to fix the tip. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
I love him dearly and I would not have him replaced, but he is such a gorgeous dog that it would be very debastating if that ear never stood up straight. Has anyone's dog straighten their ears after 6 months? Or is there no hope any longer? I've never had problems with ear, my other four dogs have awesome, erect and strong ears, Ultro is my fist ear problem. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
GSDBESTK9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2005, 11:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

[ QUOTE ]
You've tried everything and your GSD's ears just won't stand, now what? How do you deal with the disappointment? How do you deal with the doubt? How do you deal with the dumb comments unknowing people make about your GSD?

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, I'm not dealing with it very well so I have no advice to give. I think the reason I'm not dealing with it well are a few things....
1) Everyone told me not to worry and when I finally went to see a vet that KNEW about ears when Ekko was 7 months, he told me it was pretty much too late. I still kick myself for it.
2) After taping only once, Ekko had an ear infection and has had them ever since. Also lots of scratching at the ears, so I was never able to tape again.
3) I have a pic of Ekko after the 1st taping where his ears stood for 3 hours. This pic of him is absolutely gorgeous!!

Don't get me wrong, I still think Ekko is gorgeous even with the floppy ears. But he truly looked like a different dog with those ears standing. The breeder had offered to take him back, but I'm not going to give him back over floppy ears. I love him so and always will [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/puppy3.gif[/img]
Even now at almost 19 months, I still have hope that I can try taping one more time, but I know in my heart it is not to be. As you can see, I am not coping well. I hope someone has great advice on how to deal with this! LOL
Tula is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2005, 01:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

[ QUOTE ]
This morning however, I guess because the weight of the tape, it is making the ear lean forward. So at this point, I don't know if that is ok or it is not woth it, as I don't want to screw up the whole ear just to fix the tip.
I love him dearly and I would not have him replaced, but he is such a gorgeous dog that it would be very debastating if that ear never stood up straight. Has anyone's dog straighten their ears after 6 months? Or is there no hope any longer? I've never had problems with ear, my other four dogs have awesome, erect and strong ears, Ultro is my fist ear problem.

[/ QUOTE ] I would try glueing in a small piece of toilet paper roll. Cut a piece the same shape and size of the tip of his ear, just a little longer for added support, and glue it onto the inside of the ear, I used Tear and Mend. We did this with Asia TOTALLY soft ears, and they never bent or fell because of the weight, it was the only time I got to see his ears erect. It didn't work on him, but his ears were never going to go up. I've seen Utro's pics and I'm betting with a little help you could probly still get that tip up, but I wouldn't mess with taping again. If it's bending the ear forward, like you said, you don't want to end up with a bigger problem than you started with.

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
Old 02-03-2005, 01:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

hmm, that's a good idea Kim. I just checked him at lunch time and his ear is still up. I'll see how it goes, but if not I'll do what you said. Thanks for the advice!
GSDBESTK9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2005, 02:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

[ QUOTE ]
I just checked him at lunch time and his ear is still up. I'll see how it goes, but if not I'll do what you said. Thanks for the advice!

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] Keep us posted!

Old 02-23-2005, 04:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default Re: Dealing With Your GSD's Ears NOT Standing Erec

I want so badly to post a picture of Bandit now with his ears standing. He is 2 1/2 yrs old now. Some of you may remember how distressed I was for the longest time. We taped, worried, used tent-ups for a short time and thought that his ears would never stand. We fed cottage cheese, gelatin, and he chewed bones. Nothing seemed to help. Finally one ear was standing at times and he was way over 6 months by then. His other ear would stand occasionally but would flop back over. Finally now his ears are standing all the time. They are not hard ears like his brother's but they stand straight up and are beautiful. I have tried to post a picture from photobucket but just cannot master it.
I would e-mail someone a picture if you could post it for me. Just send me a pm.
anngie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2005, 08:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone's dog straighten their ears after 6 months?

[/ QUOTE ] I taped Caleb's ears when he was 7 months. He has thin and very soft ears, but I was determined to make those ears stand up (I do realize now how silly that was). I used the toilet paper rolls cut in the shape of the ear. I tried rollers first, but they didn't work that well. The toilet paper rolls did work though and they worked wonderfully. Caleb's ears are still soft and thin, but they do stand. They flop when he runs though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.