Dealing With Your GSD's Ears NOT Standing Erect. - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 267 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 07:35 PM

Re: Dealing With Your GSD's Ears NOT Standing Erec

Why not just leave them & see what happens naturally? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/11_confused.gif[/img] I think he looks totally adorable with those floppy ears! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/18_thumb.gif[/img] He looks like he's going to be big no matter what his ears do [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/05_biggrin.gif[/img]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ark von Ochs Stellt 5/29/09--10/30/12

"German Shepherd breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German Shepherd breeding." Max Von Stephanitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 267 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 09:41 PM

Hahhaa, thank you. I agree he looks pretty adorable, but when he lies down to sleep and his ears fall forward, he looks even cuter (if you can believe it).
I guess I'll just wait until his vet appt. on the 18th and see what he says. I just hope it won't be too late.

Cody - Pure Bred GSD, 93-05, RIP baby
Samson - Pure Bred Golden Retriever, 2 years
Tyson - Rescued GSD/Malamute, 4 months
post #43 of 267 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 09:44 PM

Re: Dealing With Your GSD's Ears NOT Standing Erect.

I never took chances with ears----if they are not up & standing on their own by 4 months, I tape them. Better safe than sorry. Apparently the German highlines are having as much trouble with ears as the American-breds did 15 years ago. There are huge similarities between the 2 "show" lines......

post #44 of 267 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 03:19 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Dealing With Your GSD's Ears NOT Standing Erect.

I scoff when people try to comfort me with that "oh his ear is cute floppy". I will never be happy with his ear being floppy. If I have to, I'll glue it up for the rest of his life. Luckily, that just requires a tiny dab of glue in the corner and no one can tell. But...just in case it works, right now he is getting calcium injections and tapings. He doesn't mind them at all. If there was no chance I wouldn't keep doing it but this vet has made it happen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OFA Good/Normal | DM Clear |H.O.T
post #45 of 267 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 11:09 PM

Umm.. I got some pretty bad info from my vet.. and now I just don't know what to do.

We tried gluing his ears, but we used too much glue and he got restless before it dried, pretty impossible and we could have used a third person.
He hasn't reached the 5 month mark yet... but I'd guess he's about 4 1/2 months old right now. His ears are completely floppy, not a 1/4 up, nothing, they're the same as our golden retriever's.

This is so frustrating! I mean, I think I'd be fine with his ears being down if I knew for sure there was no hope in them coming up.. but not knowing what information is accurate and whether gluing would work for a dog whose ears aren't even showing signs of raising? it's killing me :P

Cody - Pure Bred GSD, 93-05, RIP baby
Samson - Pure Bred Golden Retriever, 2 years
Tyson - Rescued GSD/Malamute, 4 months
post #46 of 267 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 02:25 PM
Crowned Member

There is definitely still GOOD hope for you at 4.5 months!! Where are you? Maybe someone in your area can recommend a breeder or vet to help!

post #47 of 267 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 08:47 PM

This is Teja...she is a 3 month old purebred....her ears are standing fine..but I was told to be careful with them [image]http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=r049hl[/image]
post #48 of 267 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 08:48 PM

oops...well tried to post a pic but havn't figured this site out yet
post #49 of 267 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 08:14 AM

My wife an I just addopted another GSD from a breeder in TN. We have known her for years and have taken our GSD down trying to breed him. Anyway, the dog is 16 months old and the original owners(from what I understand) allowed the children to pull on his ears and I guess never tried correct the issue of his ears not standing. Do you guys think that it is too late to try and fix this?? We have had our other GSD 10 years now(bought him in Germany) and it kinda bothers me seeing this pups ears flopped over like this. He has been a great pup so far and I would really like to fix his ears. If there isnt a natural way of fixing them is there an alternative?? Thanks.
post #50 of 267 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 11:45 AM
Crowned Member

At 16 months, I have only heard of the calcium injections and taping working but I don't have much information on it. Skycrest Animal Clinic in Long Grove Illinois has had great success with it and my GSD is having it done now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page