Dealing With Your GSD's Ears NOT Standing Erect. - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 267 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 12:59 PM
Knighted Member

Re: Dealing With Your GSD's Ears NOT Standing Erec

I thought I would look for the tear mender glue in case we needed it later on. Kept reading it was hard to find. Yep, i cannot find it anywhere!! I checked Canadian Tire, Home Depot, Home Hardware, Zellers, and finally Fabric Land. At this point I don't think we need to tape, both ears were up for a short time then the left one developed a wrinkle at the base and it tends to lean inwards over his head, the last couple of days i have seen it more upright then before so I think its on its way to standing on its own. From reading here most seem to talk about the tips not standing, his have been up from the beginning, its just this little wrinkle at the base.
Yesterday the vet tech, who obviously knows nothing about GSD's told me hmmm if its not up now it never will, and had never heard about teething interfering with ears on GSD, told me thats a myth. Soooo it seems vet staff need some educating because if I had not read up on it here and the internet I would have had a fit thinking it will stay that way. I still have not heard a definate time frame where you should glue or tape. Some say 5 months is the cutoff and others say up to a year, my breeder says 6 months.

Carmspack Gus
Nov/25/2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 267 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 02:20 PM
Crowned Member

[ QUOTE ]
I thought I would look for the tear mender glue in case we needed it later on. Kept reading it was hard to find. Yep, i cannot find it anywhere

[/ QUOTE ]
You can also order it from the catalogue "Care-a-Lot" . Phone # 800-343-7680 product #1768 2oz. $3.99. Hopefully they'll go up fine on their own and you won't be needing it!
[ QUOTE ]
Yesterday the vet tech, who obviously knows nothing about GSD's told me hmmm if its not up now it never will, and had never heard about teething interfering with ears on GSD, told me thats a myth. Soooo it seems vet staff need some educating because if I had not read up on it here and the internet I would have had a fit thinking it will stay that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

A VETERINARIAN once told me that GSD's ears have to be clipped in order to make them stand up! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/08_rolleyes.gif[/img]
[ QUOTE ]
I still have not heard a definate time frame where you should glue or tape. Some say 5 months is the cutoff and others say up to a year, my breeder says 6 months

[/ QUOTE ]
Five to six months is about right. The general consensus seems to be that after six months it's getting too late, but before then they're still teething which causes the ears to go up and down. Here's the link to the website on glueing in case you end up needing it. web page

Kimberely

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
post #23 of 267 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 10:07 PM
Knighted Member

I found the glue!!!!! LOL For anyone living in Canada, Tear Menders is carried by Home Hardware. The problem is the sales people really don't know it. If they don't have it in stock they can order it and have it to you in less then a week!!

Carmspack Gus
Nov/25/2012

post #24 of 267 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 12:10 AM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph

I know I'm like, 2 months late on this topic, but I had to post.

My GSD Strauss has rather large ears...and I purchased him to be a show dog. He has one that stands one that flops, and I can't tell a lie. I absolutely HATE It.

He's a wonderful working dog, but he's also a pet...and that's not what I wanted. No offense to you pet people of course...my animals are very special to me, and are companions first and foremost...but I didn't shell out all that money for another companion.

I wanted something to show. I got no breeder support, no refund, nothing (Even though it was in his contract). So, now I have nothing to show, and I get that evil question all the time "Is he a purebred?" Yes he's a purebred >.<

I did every single blasted thing that people told me to do with his ears. Gluing, taping, cottage cheese, gelatin. Absolutely NOTHING worked. He got a massive ear infection the last time I tried. His ear just swelled and smelled terrible, there was a ton of hair missing, and he looked miserable.

Now on both ears, he has white scar hair, he's bald in some places, and he's all scarred on the edges.

He's a year old now, and I still can't stand to look at the ear. I love my dog, but I just hate the flop. Obviously I'm not dealing with the ears very well...

It also doesn't help that since I don't have my own dog to show, I have nothing to show at all, and there is nobody near by that is willing to help a "Newbie" get on their way.

The only way to do that is to purchase a puppy...and I just don't have the money for that. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/02_frown.gif[/img]

Jackie and the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(and one cat)

Strauss: The Patriarch
Wesson: The Grand Champion
Mikasa: The Hellbeast
Soul Eater: The Moon and Stars Dog
post #25 of 267 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 07:40 AM

Xeph, Amen to your post. I have a puppy who is 8 mos. old and has problems with his ears. They are not flopping, but they are not standing either. I hate it, too. I purchased him from a breeder/AKC judge who has some beautiful GSD's,but somewhere in the gene history were soft ears. My puppy's mother & father were both erect but that doesn't mean there puppies will be. I wasn't informed enough about the breed to get a clause in the contract to return him if his ears did not stand by a certain date.I don't know if I would have anyway because we love him. Even though I never wanted to show, I wanted him to look like a show dog! I wish I could help you some other way but just wanted you to know that ears not standing don't look right to me either.
post #26 of 267 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 01:01 PM
Crowned Member

Puppies are a crap shoot. You never know what you're going to end up with. Even with impeccable breeding, problems will arise. Just because you buy a GSD with the intent to show, or do shutzhund, or SAR, there's no guarantee that they'll have the right temperament for the task. If you purchase a dog solely for the purpose of showing or working them, you do have the option to find a pet home for them. Personally, I get way too attached to my animals to be able to do that. Try to appreciate the qualities they do have. I'll take a great temperament over a pair of firm ears any day. Check out all threads on fear biters and aggression, and then be glad that all you have to deal with is floppy ears.

Kimberely

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
post #27 of 267 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 03:14 PM

Kimberely, thanks for the post. You are right about that.Terri
post #28 of 267 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 07:01 PM
Crowned Member

I kept Strauss because I get attached to my animals too. I really wanted to start conformation showing, but I'd always had the plan of working the dog too. And he does, he works. He herds, he does schutzhund, he tracks, we're training for SAR and Therapy work, he's in Rally O and Obedience, he's started agility. He's a busy dog.

Part of the reason I hate the ear, is, as I stated, people ask me if he's purebred. The other reason is, it was in the contract that I got that if he did not turn out, a replacement would be given. The breeder did not honor the contract. I know a puppy is a crap shoot, but so is an older dog.

Strauss was supposed to be my "in" to conformation, but now that I have nothing to show, I'm falling even further behind >.<

Jackie and the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(and one cat)

post #29 of 267 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 12:10 PM
Knighted Member

Xeph
I don't know how old your puppy is or if it's too late, but I know that you can sometimes get other breeders to tape up ears if your breeder won't. Gunner's ears flopped and I called the breeder and she didn't call back. I was getting nervous because I know you have to get them taped up.

I ended up calling another breeder (in WI) who said my breeder should do it but if she didn't than this second breeder would for me. Well, my original breeder finally called back and taped his ears (twice) for me. Although they are "soft", they are standing nicely now. And I know some may not agree, but this is also a benefit of purchasing a puppy from a local breeder.

So, if it's not too late, you might be able to find someone else who would agree to tape them for you (probably for a fee).

I was actually "okay" if they didn't stand, by my husband and breeder insisted that we purchased a purebred GSD and his ears SHOULD stand. And now they are!

Sandy
post #30 of 267 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 10:22 PM
Crowned Member

I taped his ears, I've had others tape his ears. They never stood. All I ended up with was a dog with infected ears. They shouldn't have had to be taped at all. All these occurrences of ear taping these days >.< It bothers me immensely. We shouldn't be needing to tape ears so much...what happened to a nice, firm ear?

Strauss is a year old...the ear will never stand, it'll always be floppy

Jackie and the
(and one cat)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page