Dealing With Your GSD's Ears NOT Standing Erect. - Page 27 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #261 of 267 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobe914 View Post
There's no real health risks involved with floppy ears. It's said that they tend to be more prone to ear infections (due to moisture build up/not being as aired out) then upright ears. I've had both and never had any issues with my floppy eared boy. I did find that my pricked ear Dutchie seems to collect a lot of dirt in there, but we live in a dusty/windy area.
I read somewhere that pricked eared breeds with floppy ears were more likely to develop joint issues due to cartilage issues throughout the body (hence floppy ears) but it seemed very "crack science" to me.
Thank you for the insight!! I've been having a tough time finding any reputable articles online.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #262 of 267 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 05:23 PM

Will this ever go to normal ears???

So I have a pure breed German shepherd. And he is now 8.5 months and one of his ears is leaning. Im really worried and wondering if they will ever go to normal german shepherd ears.

There is a pic of him. (Just cropped myself out)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151223_161904-1.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	339242  
post #263 of 267 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 07:55 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tula View Post
[ QUOTE ]
You've tried everything and your GSD's ears just won't stand, now what? How do you deal with the disappointment? How do you deal with the doubt? How do you deal with the dumb comments unknowing people make about your GSD?

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, I'm not dealing with it very well so I have no advice to give. I think the reason I'm not dealing with it well are a few things....
1) Everyone told me not to worry and when I finally went to see a vet that KNEW about ears when Ekko was 7 months, he told me it was pretty much too late. I still kick myself for it.
2) After taping only once, Ekko had an ear infection and has had them ever since. Also lots of scratching at the ears, so I was never able to tape again.
3) I have a pic of Ekko after the 1st taping where his ears stood for 3 hours. This pic of him is absolutely gorgeous!!

Don't get me wrong, I still think Ekko is gorgeous even with the floppy ears. But he truly looked like a different dog with those ears standing. The breeder had offered to take him back, but I'm not going to give him back over floppy ears. I love him so and always will [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/puppy3.gif[/img]
Even now at almost 19 months, I still have hope that I can try taping one more time, but I know in my heart it is not to be. As you can see, I am not coping well. I hope someone has great advice on how to deal with this! LOL
I went through this years ago with my first shepherd. His parents were so regal with those erect ears, but my guy looked like a doofus with one ear hanging down. I was ashamed of myself for being so "superficial", but doggone it- those ears really make the look of a Getman Shepherd Dog! I guess you can never predict what the ears will do, since they aren't really up when you bring home a young pup! :/

post #264 of 267 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 11:49 AM

Unhappy 20 weeks and ears still floppy

My GS is 20 weeks old and ears are still floppy. His ears seem larger than other GS I've seen. His parents are both GS but not sure beyond that. Any help and hope?!!
post #265 of 267 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 03:32 PM

Houdini (8.5wk) only has one ear erect and the other one seems to be on its way. I used to think I didn't care but ever since I got him, the German shepherd breed has won over my heart and I can't imagine my little one not looking like his brethren. I wouldn't be worried if he didn't insist on napping with his head wedged under the sofa. Could that cause any damage? It's not like I'm raising him to be a show dog so I'll love him either way.
post #266 of 267 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 10:36 AM

ear damage

My GS is now 14 weeks. The ears were up at 10 weeks for 2 weeks and then went back down. I often massaged or played with ears out of habit. Could I have damaged them and made them go down for good?
post #267 of 267 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 01:50 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

I think we just answered this exact same question a day or two ago? If they were up at ten weeks, odds are they will go back up. This up and down with ears is normal. You didn't damage them by massaging them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page