Dealing With Your GSD's Ears NOT Standing Erect. - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 267 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 09:32 PM

Re: Dealing With Your GSD's Ears NOT Standing Erec

I did the toilet paper rolls too. Poor Bandit. I tried moleskin, all kinds of hair rollers, tampons,popcicle sticks, everything I read about that anyone had done. He got to where he would run when he saw me get the tape out. Don't give up though. Bandit's ears have finally starting standing up all the time in the last 6 months. He was 2 in September.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 267 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
The Italian One

[ QUOTE ]
I want so badly to post a picture of Bandit now with his ears standing. He is 2 1/2 yrs old now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anngie, does this guy look familiar?

Everyone, this is Bandit. And yes, Anngie he is a very good looking boy! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/18_thumb.gif[/img]

Home of Sundance, Butch, Wyatt & Whiskey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 267 (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 06:01 PM

I've never had to deal with soft ears in any of my GSD's..Funny thing tho,,when I got my aussie , here I would be living with my first flop eared dawg,,and her's started standing up straight as the GSD! LOL..

It IS a physical thing! To have a "prick" eared aussie? YIKES~! LOL..Luckily one good glueing did the trick, but if it hadn't worked,,I would still love the little weasel,,she would just be my generic "border" collie with no tail..
*vbg*
Diane

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge

post #14 of 267 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 05:16 PM

Max ears stood at 6 months old , his ears were very large
post #15 of 267 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 04:43 PM

I am guessing I am a bit late here but I saw what Rugs said and I bought our two dogs from this lady here in NC (I live near Charlotte by the way) and she said the cartlage is sensitive and they can't bit them, etc. I let them play and all and my dogs ears used to stand up but not anymore. The males right ear is up really good and the other straight down and same with the female but both of hers are both way down. Like I said, they used to be up on both dogs and both ears, not anymore and I can't get them to do nothing. They are almost 9 months now and I am guessing it's too late. I am going to read all this stuff on this forum board to see what I can get. Looks like a cool place by the way!!!

Shawn-
post #16 of 267 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 10:29 AM
Knighted Member

Hey Shawn....Welcome! Bikers ears were up when he was a puppy, then they were down. I kept waiting for them to go back up, since alot of people said that if they were up once they will go back up. Never did happen, I tried to tape and he hated it. So I just decided to let them go. My female, Kate's ears never even tried to come up. My dogs are 1 1/2 years old. Bikers one ear will stand up but for the most part, they are down. Some people will say you could try tapeing. I just didn't see any reason to put him through all that just because I wanted his ears to stand.

Who did you get your dogs from? There was a breeder in Raleigh that we had looked at. I'm in New Bern.
post #17 of 267 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 05:59 PM

Well... the place was near Raleigh I think. It was about 2 hours from here. Not quite in Raleigh. I cannot remember the name for some reason. I will go ask my father and see if he can remember. I live down here in Weddington right near SC boarder under Charlotte.
post #18 of 267 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 06:35 PM

Well my father cannot rememeber either. He said it was way up 77. That is all I know haha.
post #19 of 267 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 07:42 PM
Knighted Member

I have to say I was soo relieved when I started reading that its not just me that worries about the ears! Floyd's ears were both up, perfect, then one morning i woke up and one was leaning in over his head! I freaked, i thought omg what did i do to him? Called the breeder, she chuckled and said no worries, its normal, as a result of teething. Do you think I believe her? Nope lol i started surfing the net looking for proof. Sure enough there it was, tons of people worried about the very same thing I was. The only thing that has me confused is, many say not taping before 6 months and its to late, others say can take up to 1 yr. So here I sit still not really knowing when to really worry about it.

Carmspack Gus
Nov/25/2012
post #20 of 267 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 03:48 PM
Crowned Member

I remember how focused I was on Dante's ears when I got him (He was 4 months old) and how hard it was for me.
I finally understood that he would hate having his ears taped and since he wasn't going in the show ring or going to be bred I'd just let them ride and see what happened. His right ear ran the whole gambit from leaning to folding to flopping before finally settling into a "friendly" ear.
When I talked to the breeder she suggested breathe-rite strips but even those I knew would drive Dante insane.
You really can't tell that the tip is soft if he's at attention though that ear doesn't have the slightly concave structure that his other ear has...but when he's running [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/33_rofl.gif[/img] it's flapping in the wind!! Sometimes at night when he's really tired the tip will flop forward (used to go backwards) or when he gets wet it'll flop forward.

I struggled with letting go of the whole ear thing, it was a chore to realize that no one has the perfect GSD and Dante though not the perfect GSD was the perfect GSD for me!

Edited to add: And between the funky ear, the black spots on his tongue and his sable coloring (Including the shoulder stripe) I was always being asked what kind of cross he was. Now that he's older and more mature it happens less.

Edited again to add: [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/33_rofl.gif[/img] Just now Dante came in the study and flopped down on his blanket. I looked over and that "friendly" ear tip is rolled backwards again!

Dante - March 2004
Kaos von Wolfstraum Oct 2011

"Today is tomorrow's time machine" ~ Dr G ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page