German Shepherds Forum banner

Ears?

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Duke27 
#1 ·
Do any of you fine forum members think that Duke's ears will find their way up? My wife and I will love him no matter what, but we do both favor the ears up look. We got him from a rescue at 8 weeks old. He is now 12 weeks old and we are just curious as to what others on here think. I posted a similar thread a few weeks ago, but in the wrong place on this forum. He is not purebred, but has a great deal of German Shepherd in him. We were also wondering if anyone could tell us what he is mixed with. His mom got pregnant at not even a year old and she was found on the side of the road with 10 puppies so we don't know what mix the father was. He is eating Taste of the Wild - High Prairie Puppy.

The pictures didn't load in the order that I posted them so here is the best description of them:
The picture of the dog with the rose collar is his mom. She got pregnant before she was a year old.
The small puppy pictures are of him and two of his littermates.
The rest are of him today eating an ice cube.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
I bet you'll at least get a version of ears similar to moms. I'm also betting that this litter likely had more than one sire. The light puppy looks to be husky... the darker puppy looks to be rottie. Your pup clearly has a bit more of the shepherd looks - no clue as to what else can be mixed in there (although rottie is a strong possibility) Just cuteness.

#6 ·
Yeah, I didn't even know that was possible until browsing this forums for a bit. I just thought that once a dog was impregnated that was it. I didn't know she could have puppies from multiple fathers?

Thanks for all the replies so far.

#7 ·
Yes... unlike women who typically release 1 or 2 eggs, dog can release 2 or 20 or whatever... and in theory each egg can have a different sire but usually one sires the majority and because of the small window of time, opportunity just isn't there.

#12 ·
They might! Mom's ears appear soft, could be due to genetics, or she may be mixed. I think it's not easy to tell until they are done teething what those ears would do.

The male in the picture had ears up at 4 months, then they went down until 9 months, then did the "alphabet" until 11 months, then stood. He has a very large ear, so they aren't as strong as his sire and dams, who have more moderate ears.

I have a friend who's Shepherd had ears all over the place until 6 months, but they never stood, just too soft.

Attachments

#13 ·
Here are a few updated pictures of him sleeping today. He is able to move them up, down, and around really well when he gets excited or unsure of something. He has some really strong bases, but I know it's still too early for anyone to know, and I have had some great replies thus far. This is really just for me to keep track of his progress.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.