Almost 4 months - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Almost 4 months

I know I shouldn't worry yet, but I can't help it. Here is my boy, Rhone. He will be 4 months old next week. I have had him for a month and have not seen his ears go up once. Breeder says not to worry until he is 5.5 months.
I have heard that longer coats sometimes take longer because of the weight of the fun on their ears. Is this true? I have tearmender on hand and am waiting...do you all suggest I wait until 4.5, 5, or 5.5 months to use it?
Thanks.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 06:07 PM
Crowned Member

Rhone is adorable! I agree with his breeder not to worry about the ears until he is 5.5 months. If they don't go up by that time, then I would suggest contacting the breeder and asking for advice.

Sting Chance von Gaard AKC GSD 2/8/2006
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Beth View Post
Rhone is adorable! I agree with his breeder not to worry about the ears until he is 5.5 months. If they don't go up by that time, then I would suggest contacting the breeder and asking for advice.
I'll bet they will go up very soon. My first shepherd was a long hair. His ears turned sideways for a while, then went up into a teepee! It was around 5 +months. He had a great ear set.

Even my present female was about that age too. Then 1 went up and then the other.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 06:48 PM
Crowned Member

Our wgsl coaties ears were slow to go up, think it was during the 4-5 month range when they finally did. He had my wife a bit concerned, by comparison our mixed line girls both came home at 9 weeks with them up and so did our WL male coatie.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 07:44 PM
Master Member

Give him soft rubber kong toys and fill them with yogurt or peanut butter, they really need to chew a lot to get those ear muscles stronger. Good luck!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Our wgsl coaties ears were slow to go up, think it was during the 4-5 month range when they finally did. He had my wife a bit concerned, by comparison our mixed line girls both came home at 9 weeks with them up and so did our WL male coatie.
Curious, what is wgsl?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian G View Post
Give him soft rubber kong toys and fill them with yogurt or peanut butter, they really need to chew a lot to get those ear muscles stronger. Good luck!
Thanks, he gets lots of bully sticks and chew toys...I also add a bit of plain yogurt and sea kelp to his food. I've been trying to get knuckle bones for the butcher, but with no luck. :/
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 10:06 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlakinsky View Post
Curious, what is wgsl?
West german show line, which is what I thought your pup may be, but I've been known to wrong, lol
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 10:14 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlakinsky View Post
Thanks, he gets lots of bully sticks and chew toys...I also add a bit of plain yogurt and sea kelp to his food. I've been trying to get knuckle bones for the butcher, but with no luck. :/
I know it's frowned upon here, but chewing on rawhide always seemed to get those ears perked up within a couple weeks. Also, night time walks is good, they use their ears to "point" to strange noises.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
West german show line, which is what I thought your pup may be, but I've been known to wrong, lol
Thanks for clarifying that, and yep, he is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page