German Shepherds Forum banner

I am so frustrated....

8K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  katdog5911 
#1 ·
I have read the other threads on here, looked at videos on line, did research and I just am unable to help Sherman's (6 month old pup) one ear stand up. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I have tried the nasal strips with tape, with glue, and they don't stick. I tried moleskin too...can't get it to stay in the ear. Every thing falls out in a minute. Of course Sherman isn't exactly cooperating either. I tried to give him a bone right after to distract him....nope....didn't work. I am ready to give up! But I love those German ears and I hate to not at least have given the one ear a little help. What the heck am I doing wrong? I am also thinking of buying forms but maybe they won't stick either. I have to say it is really hard to do by myself.....I need another set or 2 of hands.
I saw a video using dog hair gel on the outside of the ear.... Anyone ever heard of that method?
Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae

See less See more
#7 ·
Thanks... I am trying to do this solo. Not so easy with a pup that wants no part of it. I will have to try and get some tear mender-I guess at a pharmacy??? Or maybe I can just try the eyelash glue again. Where do I need to place the strips if I use them?

#8 ·
I did it myself with a couple sneak attacks... I used 2 strips set together in a 'V'.

Took the dog to the park, threw the ball and let him run around like crazy... when we got home I let him nap on the couch. Half the time he slept on his back and gravity made hus ear fall in the right position. While he slept I put the strips together, coated them with glue then let it dry till tacky...

Slipped it in while he was asleep then held him down so he wouldn't shake it out till it dried enough.

#11 ·
If you go with a vet, make sure that they know how to correctly set ear forms for a GSD. I've been told that the techniques used for danes or dobermans aren't quite the same and won't be as correct.

I'd almost bet that this ear will eventually go up on its own. Looks heavy but the base is firm and solid. Though correct taping won't hurt.

#12 ·
you can get tear mender at a fabric store, like joann fabrics..I agree with clipping the fur up some, you can also look online, there is a product and I can't remember what they call it, that is made of metal like form, for inserting it's shaped like the ear , to help ears stand..Unfortunately at this age, sometimes they just don't go up because they are 'soft'. I've never had a puppy who's ears didn't stand by no later than 12 wks old, so I'm not a real expert here in how to fix them.. Maybe someone else has the info on the 'metal shaper' I talked about.

#14 ·
I wouldn't be as concerned about his ear till a bit later but his dad had "weak" ears, although they are up now after a little help.
Will try a sneak attack...lol.
I ordered ear forms from canis callidus so will try that if the sneak attack doesn't work.
I have been holding his ear up when he is near me....lol. And it does stay up for a little bit when I let go....

#15 ·
So I tried the nasal strips with eye lash glue. It was great while it lasted....half a day.... By the end of the day they were hanging loosely and he kept scratching his ear and shaking his head. Got them all out this morning. Maybe will try again but place them differently. If that doesn't work I will try the tear mender... Or is osto bond better?

#16 ·
Just be careful with the scratching and head shaking from applying glue or any irritant...you don't want to have to deal with a hematoma.

Reactions: MineAreWorkingline
#17 ·
With our Great Dane, I bought ostomy adhesive at a local medical supply store. Cleaned inside his ear with an alcohol prep, let it dry, the painted both the inside of his ear and the outside of a large breathe rite strip. Worked very well, and lasted several days to a week.

#18 ·
We also used ostomy glue and it worked really well - like it lasted a week and we couldn't get it off, so make sure you get some adhesive remover too if you use it.
When we were going that route though we used the heavier moleskin and like someone else said, it was too heavy for his ear.

We ended up just going to the vet to have them taped (so much easier), and a couple weeks later he had had standing ears.

#20 ·
Is Torbot an ostomy glue?

I am going to hold off till after Christmas. His ear has been standing up for about 1/2 an hour or more in the morning and every now and then during the day. Maybe it will come up on its own???

I have ear forms that I ordered. This may sound like a silly question but just want to make sure...the one labeled L is for his left ear, not the ear that is on the left when I face him....?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.