I am so frustrated.... - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I am so frustrated....

I have read the other threads on here, looked at videos on line, did research and I just am unable to help Sherman's (6 month old pup) one ear stand up. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I have tried the nasal strips with tape, with glue, and they don't stick. I tried moleskin too...can't get it to stay in the ear. Every thing falls out in a minute. Of course Sherman isn't exactly cooperating either. I tried to give him a bone right after to distract him....nope....didn't work. I am ready to give up! But I love those German ears and I hate to not at least have given the one ear a little help. What the heck am I doing wrong? I am also thinking of buying forms but maybe they won't stick either. I have to say it is really hard to do by myself.....I need another set or 2 of hands.
I saw a video using dog hair gel on the outside of the ear.... Anyone ever heard of that method?
Name:  sherman one ear up one ear down.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  151.0 KB

Kathy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sherman-GSD 5/27/16
Stella-GSD 6/17/11
Ruben-Newfie/? mix 7/2003-5/25/16 a dog with a big heart, who was always there for me...miss you my old man

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 10:26 PM
Elite Member

I hear whistling in the dark helps
Try breathe right strips?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 10:31 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudpump View Post
I hear whistling in the dark helps
Try breathe right strips?
^Stop it! lol

You can try trimming the hair up and some people successfully use eye lash glue. Make sure the moleskin you are using is the light one. The thick one is too heavy.

Breathe right strips can help but need glued as well.

He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. - Thomas Jefferson

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts. - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 10:40 PM
Elite Member

Breathe rite strips + tear mender + a strong boyfriend to pin him down worked for me.

Tried mole skin and it was an absolute mess!!! Ugh.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 10:45 PM
Crowned Member

Pretty much the same advice here.....trim the fur inside the ear....buy the ear forms...they're super light....buy some Tear Mender glue...follow all the directions and the forms will stay in for days.

SuperG

Hündin 32CACT, 2334CSAT, 2016 GAA 2.85

Last edited by SuperG; 12-02-2016 at 10:52 PM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 10:55 PM
Crowned Member

Form was a bit crooked ...due to my lacking.....but once you place it....leave it.

SuperG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PC040279.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	499.5 KB
ID:	395106   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070519.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	288.2 KB
ID:	395114  

Hündin 32CACT, 2334CSAT, 2016 GAA 2.85
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thanks... I am trying to do this solo. Not so easy with a pup that wants no part of it. I will have to try and get some tear mender-I guess at a pharmacy??? Or maybe I can just try the eyelash glue again. Where do I need to place the strips if I use them?

Kathy

Sherman-GSD 5/27/16
Stella-GSD 6/17/11
Ruben-Newfie/? mix 7/2003-5/25/16 a dog with a big heart, who was always there for me...miss you my old man

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 11:02 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katdog5911 View Post
Thanks... I am trying to do this solo. Not so easy with a pup that wants no part of it. I will have to try and get some tear mender-I guess at a pharmacy??? Or maybe I can just try the eyelash glue again. Where do I need to place the strips if I use them?
I did it myself with a couple sneak attacks... I used 2 strips set together in a 'V'.

Took the dog to the park, threw the ball and let him run around like crazy... when we got home I let him nap on the couch. Half the time he slept on his back and gravity made hus ear fall in the right position. While he slept I put the strips together, coated them with glue then let it dry till tacky...

Slipped it in while he was asleep then held him down so he wouldn't shake it out till it dried enough.
Deb likes this.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 11:25 PM
Master Member

Is there an experienced vet nearby (or his breeder) who might be able to help? Gorgeous pup. Looks like that ear wants to go up!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 11:40 PM
Elite Member

How are you cleaning the ear prior to taping/gluing??? I found getting as much oil off the skin as I could REALLY helped getting stuff to stick. Should a mentioned that before. I used acne wipes for oily skin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page