I am so frustrated.... - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 05:22 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebrench View Post
Is there an experienced vet nearby (or his breeder) who might be able to help? Gorgeous pup. Looks like that ear wants to go up!
If you go with a vet, make sure that they know how to correctly set ear forms for a GSD. I've been told that the techniques used for danes or dobermans aren't quite the same and won't be as correct.

I'd almost bet that this ear will eventually go up on its own. Looks heavy but the base is firm and solid. Though correct taping won't hurt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 07:24 AM

you can get tear mender at a fabric store, like joann fabrics..I agree with clipping the fur up some, you can also look online, there is a product and I can't remember what they call it, that is made of metal like form, for inserting it's shaped like the ear , to help ears stand..Unfortunately at this age, sometimes they just don't go up because they are 'soft'. I've never had a puppy who's ears didn't stand by no later than 12 wks old, so I'm not a real expert here in how to fix them.. Maybe someone else has the info on the 'metal shaper' I talked about.

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 08:52 AM
Crowned Member

Tractor Supply also carries tear mender - or, you can order it online.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I wouldn't be as concerned about his ear till a bit later but his dad had "weak" ears, although they are up now after a little help.
Will try a sneak attack...lol.
I ordered ear forms from canis callidus so will try that if the sneak attack doesn't work.
I have been holding his ear up when he is near me....lol. And it does stay up for a little bit when I let go....

Kathy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sherman-GSD 5/27/16
Stella-GSD 6/17/11
Ruben-Newfie/? mix 7/2003-5/25/16 a dog with a big heart, who was always there for me...miss you my old man

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

So I tried the nasal strips with eye lash glue. It was great while it lasted....half a day.... By the end of the day they were hanging loosely and he kept scratching his ear and shaking his head. Got them all out this morning. Maybe will try again but place them differently. If that doesn't work I will try the tear mender... Or is osto bond better?

Kathy

Sherman-GSD 5/27/16
Stella-GSD 6/17/11
Ruben-Newfie/? mix 7/2003-5/25/16 a dog with a big heart, who was always there for me...miss you my old man

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 11:09 PM
Crowned Member

Just be careful with the scratching and head shaking from applying glue or any irritant...you don't want to have to deal with a hematoma.
MineAreWorkingline likes this.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 01:16 AM
Elite Member

With our Great Dane, I bought ostomy adhesive at a local medical supply store. Cleaned inside his ear with an alcohol prep, let it dry, the painted both the inside of his ear and the outside of a large breathe rite strip. Worked very well, and lasted several days to a week.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtmill View Post
With our Great Dane, I bought ostomy adhesive at a local medical supply store. Cleaned inside his ear with an alcohol prep, let it dry, the painted both the inside of his ear and the outside of a large breathe rite strip. Worked very well, and lasted several days to a week.
We also used ostomy glue and it worked really well - like it lasted a week and we couldn't get it off, so make sure you get some adhesive remover too if you use it.
When we were going that route though we used the heavier moleskin and like someone else said, it was too heavy for his ear.

We ended up just going to the vet to have them taped (so much easier), and a couple weeks later he had had standing ears.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 04:59 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by telavivgsd View Post
We also used ostomy glue and it worked really well - like it lasted a week and we couldn't get it off, so make sure you get some adhesive remover too if you use it.
When we were going that route though we used the heavier moleskin and like someone else said, it was too heavy for his ear.

We ended up just going to the vet to have them taped (so much easier), and a couple weeks later he had had standing ears.
Yes, I should have mentioned using the adhesive remover pledgets! The ostomy adhesive is white and rubbery. I am a nurse, and usually have all kinds of supplies on hand.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Is Torbot an ostomy glue?

I am going to hold off till after Christmas. His ear has been standing up for about 1/2 an hour or more in the morning and every now and then during the day. Maybe it will come up on its own???

I have ear forms that I ordered. This may sound like a silly question but just want to make sure...the one labeled L is for his left ear, not the ear that is on the left when I face him....?

Kathy

Sherman-GSD 5/27/16
Stella-GSD 6/17/11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page