When to give up - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

When to give up

My pup is now 29 weeks old and we have been taping his one ear for 8-9 weeks. The ear will stay up for a day and then fall back over and even when it stays up for the day it is still very weak. His other ear has been up since he was 4 months or so.

How long do we continue this? The Vet told me last week to keep taping and he thought that ear would eventually be up on it's own and the taping it up would help him be used to it standing. The pup is huge at around 70lbs and even though his teeth are in some are still small and have some growing. Any opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 03:28 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

The time to give up is when you decide to give up. He's seven months old? Do you mind if one ear flops? I had a Dobe whose one ear flopped. I looked at her one day when she was two and realized it was up. Not sure when that happened. Are you paying the vet to tape the ear?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
The time to give up is when you decide to give up. He's seven months old? Do you mind if one ear flops? I had a Dobe whose one ear flopped. I looked at her one day when she was two and realized it was up. Not sure when that happened. Are you paying the vet to tape the ear?
6 months and 21 days. I really want two pointy ears. I'm taping them myself after being shown by the VET months ago, I was just as the vet last week getting him fixed.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 03:35 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep1978 View Post
6 months and 21 days. I really want two pointy ears. I'm taping them myself after being shown by the VET months ago, I was just as the vet last week getting him fixed.

I think you answered your own question. *G* If you're not ready to give up, then you'll keep taping. Ask his breeder if he's ever had any with a floppy ear.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
I think you answered your own question. *G* If you're not ready to give up, then you'll keep taping. Ask his breeder if he's ever had any with a floppy ear.
The breeder states both parents have strong ears and both parents are from well known lines.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 03:53 PM
Crowned Member

Have you tried these:

Dog Ear Support Forms | All K-9

I am thinking of putting one in one of my girl's ears, here were up, now its down again. she is about as old as your pup, haven't taped yet. It does tell you what to use to glue them in, you buy that separately I think.

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Hepzibah
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 04:24 PM
Elite Member

Well... I didn't even START taping until 10 months old. It was on a wing and a prayer. Didn't think it would work as my guy has weak ears to boot.

Low and behold they went up. He has a little weak spot in the side because I really really suck at taping and didn't have that area properly supported. Had I been more skilled I have no doubt they would have come out perfect.

I did heavy diet supplementing too. Lots of knox gelatin. Lots of raw chicken feet. For the collagen. I even made my own "ears up" treats in the dehydrator with liver, kale, papaya, orange, cottage cheese and more gelatin as vitamins A, C and D are important for cartilage production and repair.

I wouldn't give up till closer to a year.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 04:24 PM

I would bet, from what you described, the ear will come up on its own. Big frame, teeth are not all the way in, good history. Jupiter (my GSD) is Almost 9 months and had a left ear issue. Teeth started bleeding real bad around 7 months and the next 2 or 3 days later it went up. was a little floppy while running but they are catching up with him finally. Good Luck!

Jupiter Rising!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 05:44 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep1978 View Post
I'm curious if neutering at that age will affect the ear...
Anyone know? Loss of hormones with already weak ears
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Per the vet, no.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page