I need a support group - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Red face I need a support group

Hello!

I think I need a support group! :-) I'm so bummed about my girl's ear. She will be 1 year in late December. Sadly, her one ear is not up and at this point I've about given up. I've researched and tried every supplement and method out there, nothing has helped.

I did so much research to find a good breeder but funny enough, this wasn't even something that crossed my mind!

I realize it is rather shallow to care about the ear as she happy and healthy. She has a great temperament. I'm just having a hard time accepting it as the ears are such a defining GSD characteristic.

She would be so pretty if her ear was standing. She is cute now, but........well, that darn ear!

Mace vom Weberhaus
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DBF2682D-07D6-44F2-B3C6-354BABCA5853.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	392626   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0411.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	392634  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 10:41 AM

I'm sorry. I know what you are saying. You still love her to pieces, she is still beautiful, you are so grateful she is healthy - but it's a bummer. I have no answer for you, but just wanted to say that I get that sometimes we would like to change things even with our loved ones.

Here is my grass is greener story. My pups ears have been up almost entirely since we got him at 8 weeks and sometimes I kind of wished his ears weren't up right away because it took a little bit away from the "puppy look". I am grateful that they are up, he is now 17 weeks, but I get it.

I will say that you can totally tell she is a PB GSD. Sometimes when both ears aren't up I know people think they are a mix (happened with my friends GSD) but that definitely won't be the case with your beautiful girl!!

Good luck, have fun with her and embrace her uniqueness! She is absolutely stunning!
GSDreSearching likes this.

Denise

Koda - GSD - 7/13/2016
Kinsley - GSD - 02/14/2012
Kane - GSD - at the Bridge
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 10:44 AM
Master Member

I'd be bummed about the ear too, but I'll definitely take sound temperament, good health and happy over a floppy ear! No dog or human is perfect, but I'll bet she's perfect for you!
Deb and GSDreSearching like this.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Thank you! It is nice to know people understand where I'm coming from. I am seriously disappointed. Obviously, we would never return her or anything like that but I have a hard time thinking I'll ever get used to her ear!

And yes, I hate that people ask me what her breed is. Silly, I know but yeah....
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 12:00 PM

My girl's ear does the same thing. I think it's adorable, as do most people who meet her or see her pics. Yours is adorable too imo.

GSDreSearching likes this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 12:39 PM
Crowned Member

The breed standard calls for erect ears, so we expect erect ears. I understand your disappointment, but it is better to have a soft ear than a bad hip. Sadly, sometimes these things happen. Have you spoke with the breeder?
cloudpump likes this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
The breed standard calls for erect ears, so we expect erect ears. I understand your disappointment, but it is better to have a soft ear than a bad hip. Sadly, sometimes these things happen. Have you spoke with the breeder?
I have. She said she was disappointed too. I wish the ear thing was something I had of paid more attention to. Her dam has very large ears, in the future that is something I would definitely avoid. I had thought about hips and temperament but I honestly, didn't think twice about ears. The fact that I spent so much time researching breeders and paid what I paid makes it sting even more. I know that sounds petty, but it is really hard to swallow.

ETA: I know it happens sometimes and isn't anyone's fault. Of course I'd rather a bad ear than hip, but really, I was expecting the "whole package". So this is why I need a support group. :-)

Last edited by GSDreSearching; 11-13-2016 at 01:41 PM. Reason: clarity
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 01:44 PM
Crowned Member

I am not sure, but I think it has more of a genetic component rather than the size of the ears. I have seen some really big bat eared dogs with erect ears.

I don't think you are being petty. You knew the look that you wanted among other qualities, did the leg work, paid the price and it just didn't work out for you.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, I appreciate that. I can't shake this feeling that there is a lesson here for me. I felt guilty for buying rather than adopting but I justified it to myself a million different ways. I feel like this is karma or something. I know, that is kind of silly but it feels about right.

My vet said she has heard of ears coming up after a year old, so I'm holding out a teeny tiny bit of hope.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Here she is with her ear glued up - so much prettier!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0251.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	392642  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page