I need a support group - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 06:37 PM
Knighted Member

It happens. A friend's dog got an ear infection that cause swelling and the ear never went back up again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 07:16 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

My Doberman had her ears done and I ended up with a Dobe with one up and one 'sideways' like your dogs. I disliked the look for a while and then made the decision to like her quirky look. One day when she was over two years old I was out taking pictures and suddenly stopped. Both ears were up. I don't know when that ear finally went up, but it was after she was eighteen months old as I went back and checked some old pictures. It never went back down. It just took years to go all the way up. Don't give up hope it will eventually stand.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 11:03 PM

Okay I have a mix dog but I know how you feel my little girl's ears where almost standing up and my son's dog thought it was a great place to chew when playing with her. I guess at 6 months I should just give up.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
It happens. A friend's dog got an ear infection that cause swelling and the ear never went back up again.
My girl has one ear down. I always wondered if the ear infections she's been prone to might have something to do with it. I have since pinpointed what caused her ear infection. Anytime she consumes anything with grains, she gets an ear infection within a week or two. She used to get it about once a month until I switched to a grain free food and not give her any human food with grain ingredients. I would know she has an ear infection when her ear is more droopy than normal.

I think my girl is adorable and the "broken ear" gives her character. She is the sweetest dog I've ever met. so eager to please. I wouldn't trade her even for a perfect GSD. I wouldn't love her more even if she has both ears up. With that said, I understand your frustrations. I paid for her, too. For me, it doesn't matter as long as she's happy, safe and healthy. I hope you can overcome the frustrations and love your dog for the wonderful dog she is.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 01:29 AM
Crowned Member

I had a whippet whose ears did stand and it worried me because in that breed erect ears are not the standard. When I taped them down with blue painter's tape , my young adult son told me I was crazy. I looked at her and knew he was right and I finally let go of this shallow issue (as I convinced myself). It took a while before I was over it (embarrased) but it became her trademark, she was an excellent pet and courser and we all loved that dog deeply. It really teaches you to accept the imperfect. But it sucks at first until you get over it. Thanks for being honest about it. I am sure she has accepted your imperfections. Would you have taken her home if you found her in a shelter like that? I am sure you would have, so it doesn't matter. I wish you a great life together with tons of fun

Last edited by wolfy dog; 11-14-2016 at 01:33 AM.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
My Doberman had her ears done and I ended up with a Dobe with one up and one 'sideways' like your dogs. I disliked the look for a while and then made the decision to like her quirky look. One day when she was over two years old I was out taking pictures and suddenly stopped. Both ears were up. I don't know when that ear finally went up, but it was after she was eighteen months old as I went back and checked some old pictures. It never went back down. It just took years to go all the way up. Don't give up hope it will eventually stand.
Thank you! I like reading that. My vet really seems to think it will stand eventually. Sometimes when we are out for a walk it will stand so that gives me a little hope. With that said, I more so feel it won't stand. I'm trying to become ok with it sooner rather than later.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
I had a whippet whose ears did stand and it worried me because in that breed erect ears are not the standard. When I taped them down with blue painter's tape , my young adult son told me I was crazy. I looked at her and knew he was right and I finally let go of this shallow issue (as I convinced myself). It took a while before I was over it (embarrased) but it became her trademark, she was an excellent pet and courser and we all loved that dog deeply. It really teaches you to accept the imperfect. But it sucks at first until you get over it. Thanks for being honest about it. I am sure she has accepted your imperfections. Would you have taken her home if you found her in a shelter like that? I am sure you would have, so it doesn't matter. I wish you a great life together with tons of fun
Thank you! It is a bummer but yeah, there is a lesson for me here. (Probably more than one). I need to just accept it for what it is.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 10:21 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Got pics?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page