5 Months - Getting nervous about ears - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

5 Months - Getting nervous about ears

So I've tried to remain patient, but I'm getting nervous about our boy'a ears. He was born May 10, so he was 5 months on October 10 - he's 23 weeks tomorrow. His ears have done some up and down, and one is doing pretty well thought it lays on his head most of the time. The other has gone up in the past but now it usually just flops over and has developed a fold. His canines aren't fully in, though they're more than halfway Id say, and he did lose a tooth last week.

We tried molefoam on that ear last week, but it was too heavy for the ear, and didn't really hold it up - just kind of stuck out to the side. As it was coming off, it actually held the ear down more I think. All of his siblings' ears are up, as are his parents and all ancestors we know of. He gets gelatin and lots of marrow bones. Sometimes they will both be up during play/when he wakes up.

We're not sure what to do at this point. We can't get breathe right strips here. We got a similar product, but they're shorter and not as strong. We haven't used them yet since the ear is a little red from taking the foam out. We also considered gluing the ears together.

Am I jumping the gun - should I leave them alone? Does gluing together or using the nose strips sound like a better idea? Did we mess it up even more with the mole foam? It was on for less than a week.

I'm attaching a picture showing them both up a few weeks ago when he was staying at my mother in laws (they were up most of the time he was there, maybe because he was less relaxed?) and a pic from today showing them down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Here's the photos - first is the one from my mother-in-law's house with his ears up, second is the one from today, third is from a few weeks ago just showing how his ears look most of the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-10-17 at 8.08.45 PM.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	388937   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-10-17 at 8.08.11 PM.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	388945   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-10-17 at 8.09.31 PM.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	388953  
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 03:29 PM
Crowned Member

are you feeding extra calcium?

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

No supplement - we were warned that it could settle in his joints. That said, he does get a tablespoon of yogurt every day or so.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 07:39 PM
Crowned Member

in my opinion the second picture , taken today , concerns me because the dog's right ear looks like it has been mucked up with attempts to have it erect . It looks like cartilage damage . If your sponges and strips irritate the dog he can get in to violent head shaking and ear kicking and then you are looking at damage from an ear hematoma.

you said " both up a few weeks ago when he was staying at my mother in laws (they were up most of the time he was there, maybe because he was less relaxed?)" which was opposite to how I saw the dog's expression because I saw him at his MOST relaxed in that picture and most anxious in today's shot.

I know he has had eating issues and pooping issues and nerve issues in socilizing him .

Diet wise I would make sure he has the best clean , most bioavailable protein . Previously you said raw was too expensive - so feed a raw egg and more of that yogurt or better yet kefir.

Lean doesn't mean deprived. Gather your bones and make a very dense concentrated bone broth.
Add real sources of natural vitamin C . Protein, bone broth , vitamin C are cartilage and ligament stimulating.

Then there is the dog's attitude . Stop looking at him in disappointed critical judgement . He looks to be a sensitive sort . Are the ears that important ?
Take him out get him well socialized , trained with a positive attitude and reward for his attempts at being a good boy.
Never mind the general public asking about the ears or over hearing comments questioning his being a purebred.

work on what matters.

I would leave the ears .
cliffson1, Mary Beth, Deb and 2 others like this.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 02:25 AM

He seems like a sensitive pup. He is picking up on your disappointment of him. Love him for who he is. Ears or no ears. My Samuel was very sick and malnourished when we got him. All we did was give him ear massages. Which he loved. His ears were huge and stood straight up in no time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 04:27 AM Thread Starter

Thank you both for taking the time to reply, I truly appreciate it.

Carmspack, the molefoam was only in his ear for 4 days, and he didn't notice it at all, so I'm not sure how much damage could have been done. I went back and looked at pictures right before we put it in and the ear looks pretty much exactly the same (I'm attaching before and after pictures). However, I agree that the ear does look odd, and did before the foam. He often sleeps with his ears smushed up against the side of his crate. It's a huge crate and he has plenty of room not to do this, it just seems to be his preferred way of sleeping. Do you think that could have done damage to it? If so, is there any way to prevent this?

As to the pictures, don't get me wrong, he likes being at my Mother in Laws, he just is more on edge there than at home because she has two other dogs (kept separate from him) and he spends most of the time there running around checking on what each person is doing because it's a big house - I thought that attitude might contribute to keeping his ears up. He may also look relaxed in that picture because he was a bit lethargic. When we picked him up he was sick - a full day at the vet later, he had kennel cough (from a vet visit the week before) and a stomach virus. He bounced back personality wise in a day, but he was on a special diet until a couple days ago, and he's still on antibiotics. Now that his stomach is better we will go back to doing an egg every day and continuing with the yogurt. I'll also add in the bone broth. His past eating issues went away once we switched him to Farmina. Now Fresh just didn't work for him.

In the picture from yesterday, he is a bit anxious. His past nervousness largely just went away one day just like it appeared, so I still believe it was mostly a stage that I got nervous about because our past trainer acted so dramatically about it. He's back to ignoring or playing with other dogs now and ignoring when walking past on the leash. The issue we're working on is his guarding when we're sitting in one place like a restaurant. We do it a lot now to practice, and he gets a treat when another dog walks past and he ignores them, and he's doing well with it. That said, he's still pretty alert and edgy during these times, which is why we continue to work at it, and this is when the photo was snapped. I'm really proud of his progress though.

It's funny how pictures appear, because in our home environment, and any environment he's comfortable in (like the park) he's the least sensitive dog I've ever had. He's smart and silly and playful, but I do think he photographs looking sad or sensitive, always has.

As to looking at him critically or disappointedly, this dog is like our golden child. We love every minute with him and he's the subject of almost constant praise, pets, and loving. I'm not disappointed in him because of his ears - it's not like I think he's holding his ears down purposely or something - it's out of his control. It's purely an aesthetic issue separate from my feelings about our boy himself.

Are the ears important? Kind of, yeah. Like most people, we got a GSD for a lot of reasons - trainability, intelligence, and also we like the look of a GSD. If we didn't care about these things, there are plenty of sweet shelter dogs in this city we could have gotten. That said, it's not like we would ever get rid of our boy because his ears didn't go up - they're just ears. We're just confused as to why they aren't and looking for some guidance on that, especially when his siblings' are up, and we know that there's a window of opportunity for gluing/taping. They seemed like they were going to go up a couple weeks ago, and now they don't at all. We don't want to look back and think we could have helped his ears to stand and didn't when we had he chance. There's a whole section in the forum devoted to ears going up so I don't think I'm the only one who feels like this.

I really just want to know what someone with experience with this thinks about the prospect of his ears going up at this age, when is the best time to take action (because I've seen a lot of conflicting info), and if people recommend nose strips over gluing the ears together or vice versa. If anyone can weigh in on these issues I'd be super grateful.

I will definitely add in the vitamin C and bone broth to his diet and see if I can find kefir over the yogurt, thanks for the suggestion. Csmith I'll try some ear massages too, thanks

[IMG]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161018/5869b8f8357182f10c8efd789a0eb28e.jpg

[/IMG]
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 04:28 AM Thread Starter

post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 05:06 AM

I found a picture of Samuel at 5 months he still had some floppyness. Don't loose hope. Also we massaged at the base of the ear. Vet said this helped with blood flow.

post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 05:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith4313 View Post

I found a picture of Samuel at 5 months he still had some floppyness. Don't loose hope. Also we massaged at the base of the ear. Vet said this helped with blood flow.

Aw thank you! He's such a cutie! I will definitely start with the massages!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page