5 Months - Getting nervous about ears - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 06:40 PM
Crowned Member

you say the ears don't matter but you obsess about them.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 08:41 PM
Crowned Member

Their ears also tend to fall over when pups are tired.
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 09:19 PM
Banned

Myself, I'd blame diet first of all, should be more cartilage in his diet, raw pig ears, chicken feet, etc. Judging by your photographs i have noticed that your pup has a very narrow chest. Does he run a lot in the fields, parks or woods? Chase cats or squirrels? Joking. Maybe, there's not much exciting in his life for neuroimpulse to come through.

post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Selzer - thanks, that's good to hear!

Carmspack - I said the ears do matter, just not more than the dog as a whole. Obviously the only thing I'm going to talk about on this thread is his ears.

Wolfy - he had a busy day so that makes sense!

Wembly - I'm going to ask about the chicken feet tomorrow at the butcher. No raw pig ears available in Israel I do give him the dried pig ears from time to time. He was on a bland diet for a while but now back to normal.

I notice that about his chest as well. He runs off leash at the park or beach ever day at least 45 minutes (lots of bird chasing - working on avoiding cat chasing, since Tel Aviv street cats are not creatures you want to mess with)! We also try to get in some swimming as much as possible and hiking on some weekends. This is on top of his leash walks/training/play. I'm not sure how to make his life more exciting! :/ I've noticed his muscle building in his hindquarters, but less in his chest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 07:57 AM
Crowned Member

Based on the picture of him younger, I can tell you his ears will stand. I was going to post it yesterday, but didn't like the fold in his right ear. They will stand sooner if you stop worrying about them....trust me.
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Cliffson that's so encouraging to read!
You're right - I'm just going to keep supplementing his diet, make sure he has a lot to chew on, and take him to exciting places, and then just let the ears do what they will.
I just felt that with the fold being so pronounced and his age, it might be time to help it out a little with some nasal strips, but since no one seems to think that's necessary, I think we'll forgo it.

post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 11:25 AM
Crowned Member

If he gets a good quality food you don't want to mess it up by adding supplements. They do more harm than good. I doubt that feeding him cartilage will send the cartilage to his ears .
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 01:21 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
If he gets a good quality food you don't want to mess it up by adding supplements. They do more harm than good. I doubt that feeding him cartilage will send the cartilage to his ears .
Cartilage is the source for natural chondroitin and glucosamine.

It is why we boil the heck out of bones with cartilage and condoyles - (necks and shanks)
ears , skin, snouts . making bone broth concentrations

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3171543/

real vitamin C supports collagen integrity.
Mudypoz likes this.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by carmspack; 10-20-2016 at 01:27 PM.
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

5 Months - Getting nervous about ears

We took Klaus to his first dog show here today, and we got to meet a lot of cool German Shepherd people - breeders/trainers/vets.

A few people approached us about his ears, and all of them said basically what you all have said - give him a month and lots to chew on, and it should be fine. If for some reason it was not in a couple months, we got the contact info for a vet who is experienced with ear taping for GSDs.

Ears aside, the show was a great experience, and it was amazing to see so many beautiful GSDs in one place. Klaus was a bit nervous with so many dogs barking, but he did really well, and we relaxed a lot in the shade just watching. He also got to see his mom, which was not at all the emotional reunion Disney movies lead you to believe it will be.

We got some terrible news though that his father died from a snake bite a couple weeks ago. He was a really handsome and cool GSD in our opinion (I'm attaching a couple pictures), so we're sad about that.

On a more positive note, thanks again all of you. We're just going to let time and nature do their thing

Name:  IMG_0862.JPG
Views: 118
Size:  216.0 KBName:  IMG_0863.JPG
Views: 117
Size:  36.8 KB

Deb likes this.
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

5 Months - Getting nervous about ears

So we finally gave in and took Klaus to the vet recommended at the dog show to look at his ears. He recommended that we tape them and he did it for us. Klaus doesn't seem to mind at all, no head shaking, just tried to itch once initially then let it go.

However - we've already gotten some nasty looks and a rude comment about how we're "perpetuating animal cruelty". I guess it's likely some (uninformed) people with no experience with the breed think we cropped his ears I guess, which is illegal here, but the person who made the comment kept on even after we told her they were just taped. Kind of surprised to see such a spirited reaction.

Anyways, the vet said to leave them taped for three weeks and we go back in every 5-7 days for him to check them. Gonna be a fun three weeks :/ I get to work on my getting a thicker skin I suppose!

Here's hoping it works, though!

Last edited by telavivgsd; 11-14-2016 at 03:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page