5 Months - Getting nervous about ears - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 04:52 PM
Crowned Member

I have a pair of 5 month old puppies. The one had her ears both up for a month or two and the other hand 1 up and one down until about a week ago and both are like ramrods now. Their brother still has one half up, and the other is up.
Deb likes this.

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Hepzibah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
I have a pair of 5 month old puppies. The one had her ears both up for a month or two and the other hand 1 up and one down until about a week ago and both are like ramrods now. Their brother still has one half up, and the other is up.

Ah that's encouraging thank you so much! There may be hope after all

Did the down ear look similar to ours? I feel like two weeks ago it looked like it was going to go up, and would go up occasionally, and now it looks like a lab's ear - kind of hopeless looking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 09:40 PM
Crowned Member

I was worried about her ear going up. Did it look like yours, yeah..no..maybe.

I suggest giving your dog some raw bones to work on and not worry too much about it. It will go up if it is going to. If not, it will not change his character at all. I think we have much more trouble with the ears than we should.

I do have a young male, 2 year old, with one ear up and one down. I hardly ever notice it. It makes his looks stand out a little, but not really in a negative way.

Now that both girls have theirs up, well, it's hard to tell which one is Sherry and which is Sherah. I have to look at their collars. One is lighter in the face and the other is larger in body, or is it the light in face is larger in body. Wait, Sherah has the lighter face and Sherry has the smaller body. But they are almost identical.

Heidi, RA CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Hepzibah

post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 01:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
I was worried about her ear going up. Did it look like yours, yeah..no..maybe.

I suggest giving your dog some raw bones to work on and not worry too much about it. It will go up if it is going to. If not, it will not change his character at all. I think we have much more trouble with the ears than we should.

I do have a young male, 2 year old, with one ear up and one down. I hardly ever notice it. It makes his looks stand out a little, but not really in a negative way.

Now that both girls have theirs up, well, it's hard to tell which one is Sherry and which is Sherah. I have to look at their collars. One is lighter in the face and the other is larger in body, or is it the light in face is larger in body. Wait, Sherah has the lighter face and Sherry has the smaller body. But they are almost identical.

Haha aw yeah that would be difficult! I've increased the amount of raw bones we're giving him - he wasn't getting them for a while because of a special diet but he's back to normal now
You're right, I should relax. I just see people saying that 5 months is when you should take action so I didn't want to miss the window. Thanks for responding!

post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 02:09 AM
Master Member

So I dont normally suggest rawhide, but he needs to do a lot of chewing to strengthen the ear muscles. Give him some long lasting chews like rawhide for a couple of weeks and other chew toys in his crate. Also, take him out for night time walks, they are more alert at night and like to "point" their ears at strange noises and things so it will also strengthen the ear muscles. Don't touch the ears and dont let anyone touch them. They should stand up in a month or so if you use my method every day. 6 months or so is really pushing it so I would get on with it asap.
Hope this helps
and by the way he looks like a great pup, I would take him in a heartbeat regardless of the ears standing or not. The ears are the least of my concerns when it comes to dogs.
Good luck.
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 03:52 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Julian! He is a great pup - a total weirdo sometimes (our favorite weirdo), but he cracks us up every day We truly wouldn't trade him for all the up ears in the world, but like I said, we just want to help them along if we can.

I will pick up some solid rawhide chews today and just watch him closely when he has them. Now that the sun's setting earlier many of our walks/park time are in the dark, and I'll make sure to aim for that time. It used to be that both ears would often be up during those walks, but now the weak one doesn't seem to go up almost at all, except when he first wakes up from naps during the day. It's weird.

Thanks a bunch for all the tips - we'll make sure he does a ton of chewing this month!
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 04:30 PM
Crowned Member

I am not sure about raw hide. The glue in them can be hard on a dog's stomach. Raw bones have calcium that the dog requires in the teething process and it will perfectly balance the calciumhosphorus ratio, so you don't need to worry about that.

Heidi, RA CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Hepzibah
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 05:09 PM
Crowned Member

I thought that cartilage doesn't have blood? I'd be careful with massages; you can also do damage. I would leave it alone. Did he have surgery? Based on the shaved inner leg?
carmspack likes this.
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Selzer - I'm going to keep giving him the bones each day, but he usually strips them in about half a day and then kind of loses interest, so I'm going to just give him the rawhide chew at that time. While he could chew all day, he's not that "destructive" of a chewer - he has a rawhide strip and he never actually chews any pieces off of it. I saw today that there was blood on one of his chew toys again, so I guess the teething process is still going on.
I'm also going to ask the butcher about chicken feet in the next couple days, so maybe I can start feeding those as well.

Wolfy - I've just been very gently massaging the bases a bit - I think Moms includes that in her ears up tips that she posts. No folding the ears or anything.
He had an IV last week because he was vomiting/diarrhea with a stomach bug and wound up dehydrated. He's just finishing the antibiotics from that tomorrow and goes into the vet for a follow up on Friday. The past few days he's been back to his regular diet + raw egg and yogurt.

Some good news - his soft ear was up about 1/3 of the day today - he looked like such a grownup! Back down now though before bed, and when I was petting him I noticed the fold is somewhat pronounced on the inside. I'm not sure if that means it can't go up for good, as I've seen some people say that.

Thanks everyone for all the help - really I truly appreciate it!

selzer likes this.
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 07:05 PM
Crowned Member

From that photo, it looks like it will go up.
wolfy dog likes this.

Heidi, RA CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Hepzibah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page