Ears Standing - 1 is making its way up - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Ears Standing - 1 is making its way up

Hey all,

So before the ears go up I have noticed our pups one ear move closer to the centre of his head, and the ear itself even stands from time to time. The other ear however has not started to raise at all and is facing outwards from his head. Is this something to be concerned about? I only ever see talk regarding ears going up and down, but nothing regarding the actual bases of the ears shifting inwards. See picture. 10.5 weeks. All his other litter mates are 8-12 lbs less than him at 10 weeks; I understand size can be a factor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20160823-WA0007_1471994326187.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	382297  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

I'd also like to add it seems like a week ago it was his other ear thats base was more to the centre of his head. Is it common for the base of his ears to act like this?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 04:25 AM
Elite Member

Yes, you should check out the teepee stage :')

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Megan
Lara
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(12/14/2012) CGC
Jarvan
(12/25/2015) ~IPO in training~

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys,

Can you review this video:

At what age should one be doing this? Both of my pups ears are down, however, I have been notified from the breeder that all of the other pup's ears are up. Our puppy is 11 weeks old, and was the largest out of the little, so that might have something to do with it. Also, my puppy and our Alaskan Malamute wrestle all of the time (ear nibbling here and there), so that too might be affecting it. NOTE: there is no damage and when I say ear nibbling I mean nibbling, something similar to what the puppies would do when they are wrestling in the litter.

Thanks.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 10:33 PM

IMHO, size and weight of pup has nothing to do with ears standing, especially at this age. Phoenix's ears popped up at around 12 weeks and stayed there, even through teething, and he was a bit runty. Your pup is still young, let things progress as they should. They may go up and then drop again due to teething, at the very least wait until that stage to see where you are at. On a personal note, my long haired GSD had soft ears, I tried taping and glue, I wouldn't do it again.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Why is that? Was it a nightmare?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dranseth View Post
Hey all,

So before the ears go up I have noticed our pups one ear move closer to the centre of his head, and the ear itself even stands from time to time. The other ear however has not started to raise at all and is facing outwards from his head. Is this something to be concerned about? I only ever see talk regarding ears going up and down, but nothing regarding the actual bases of the ears shifting inwards. See picture. 10.5 weeks. All his other litter mates are 8-12 lbs less than him at 10 weeks; I understand size can be a factor.
I would not worry. My pup had ears like yours, one up at 10 weeks, one down like yours. Ear went up at 13 weeks. Big puppies, in my experience, take longer for their ears to go up than smaller ones. Having an interval of weeks or even months with one ear up and one down is not abnormal for a large puppy whose ears will eventually go up after teething.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dranseth View Post
Why is that? Was it a nightmare?
This was 15 years ago, the technique that I was told to use was to glue shapes inside the ear, then prop the ears up with duct tape. Yup, sounds stupid as I write this. First, it didn't work, he just had soft ears, I don't think any technique in the end would have worked, but long term, I'm convinced that his chronic ear infections were due to me messing around with his ears. Maybe not, but I had to ask myself who I was doing it for. Just my experience. With your pup I wouldn't panic, I'm sure within the next few weeks you will see them pop right up.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Yeah. His ears are both down at the moment, but he has the ability to pop them up when he desires. From my reading I think it would be most logical to wait until at least 4 months old. I would probably avoid duct tape though lol. Thanks for the information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page