German Shepherds Forum banner

Ears Standing - 1 is making its way up

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  dranseth 
#1 ·
Hey all,

So before the ears go up I have noticed our pups one ear move closer to the centre of his head, and the ear itself even stands from time to time. The other ear however has not started to raise at all and is facing outwards from his head. Is this something to be concerned about? I only ever see talk regarding ears going up and down, but nothing regarding the actual bases of the ears shifting inwards. See picture. 10.5 weeks. All his other litter mates are 8-12 lbs less than him at 10 weeks; I understand size can be a factor.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Hey guys,

Can you review this video:

At what age should one be doing this? Both of my pups ears are down, however, I have been notified from the breeder that all of the other pup's ears are up. Our puppy is 11 weeks old, and was the largest out of the little, so that might have something to do with it. Also, my puppy and our Alaskan Malamute wrestle all of the time (ear nibbling here and there), so that too might be affecting it. NOTE: there is no damage and when I say ear nibbling I mean nibbling, something similar to what the puppies would do when they are wrestling in the litter.

Thanks.

#5 ·
IMHO, size and weight of pup has nothing to do with ears standing, especially at this age. Phoenix's ears popped up at around 12 weeks and stayed there, even through teething, and he was a bit runty. Your pup is still young, let things progress as they should. They may go up and then drop again due to teething, at the very least wait until that stage to see where you are at. On a personal note, my long haired GSD had soft ears, I tried taping and glue, I wouldn't do it again.

#8 ·
This was 15 years ago, the technique that I was told to use was to glue shapes inside the ear, then prop the ears up with duct tape. Yup, sounds stupid as I write this. First, it didn't work, he just had soft ears, I don't think any technique in the end would have worked, but long term, I'm convinced that his chronic ear infections were due to me messing around with his ears. Maybe not, but I had to ask myself who I was doing it for. Just my experience. With your pup I wouldn't panic, I'm sure within the next few weeks you will see them pop right up.

#7 ·
I would not worry. My pup had ears like yours, one up at 10 weeks, one down like yours. Ear went up at 13 weeks. Big puppies, in my experience, take longer for their ears to go up than smaller ones. Having an interval of weeks or even months with one ear up and one down is not abnormal for a large puppy whose ears will eventually go up after teething.

#9 ·
Yeah. His ears are both down at the moment, but he has the ability to pop them up when he desires. From my reading I think it would be most logical to wait until at least 4 months old. I would probably avoid duct tape though lol. Thanks for the information.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.