16 weeks and only one ear up - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

16 weeks and only one ear up

We have a 16 week old registered WGSL that we purchased at 8 weeks old and only one ear is up. The one ear that's up has been up for 2-3 weeks but the only we have only seen the other one up a couple times and that was for a minute or less. We spoke to vet and she said it will likely be up as there is no damage seen but she will glue it at 20 weeks if it's still down.

Both parents, grand parents, great grand parents, etc... have strong ears so I know it's not genetic. He has plenty to chew on and we are giving him cottage cheese and premium food. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 12:11 PM
Crowned Member

If he gets a good quality food he doesn't need cottage cheese. It will throw off the nutritional balance and it also contains a lot of salt. Maybe others can chime in with ideas. Until pups are done teething, the ears can take on many different identities. What does your breeder say?
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
If he gets a good quality food he doesn't need cottage cheese. It will throw off the nutritional balance and it also contains a lot of salt. Maybe others can chime in with ideas. Until pups are done teething, the ears can take on many different identities. What does your breeder say?
The breeder says wait until teething is done (5-6) months. What is concerning to me is that one ear has been up solid for weeks but the other has only been up 2-3 times for less than a couple of minutes. The vet wants to glue mole skin at 5 months.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 01:39 PM

Chewing is the best thing for helping the ears stand.I laughed at wolfy's comment about identities They normally are up within a week or two after teething is done.If not, let the vet glue.All of my shepherds in the past ears have gone up between 20-24 weeks.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 02:27 PM

16 weeks is too early to worry. The bigger the dog, the longer it takes for ears to come up. I know it can be a bit worrisome if one is up and the other is not. I've been there too. But it really is normal, not a defect. Even taking weeks or months while one is up and the other down is really normal. Especially if the ear has come up even for a few moments now and then, that's a very good sign. Give a nice marrowbone for chewing if you want to give the jaw muscles more of a workout, but the best thing to do is take lots of pictures of the adorable one ear up one ear down stage of puppyhood. All too soon they grow up and between one day and the next up the ear will go and you'll wonder why you worried those weeks instead of enjoying the puppy look.
jcm3 likes this.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 02:32 PM

i JUST went through this... No glue should be needed. I would think. Jupiters Left ear didn"t go up until after 19 weeks or so. NOW, he doesnt look like a puppy anymore. haha I think yall will be fine.

Jupiter Rising!
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

He is very big, the vet states that his head is huge and his ear leather is thick.
wolfy dog likes this.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 05:46 PM
Crowned Member

If he is 8 months old you will be worried about his gaits and clumsiness and possibly brattiness too. It comes with the package.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casto View Post
i JUST went through this... No glue should be needed. I would think. Jupiters Left ear didn"t go up until after 19 weeks or so. NOW, he doesnt look like a puppy anymore. haha I think yall will be fine.
So up until then the other one laid flat the whole time like mine? If so maybe there is hope.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep1978 View Post
So up until then the other one laid flat the whole time like mine? If so maybe there is hope.

lots of hope, especially if he is a big boned puppy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page