16 weeks and only one ear up - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 06:21 PM
Crowned Member

Here are a couple of things you can do to strengthen puppy’s ears.
1. Ear Exercise: Whistle or make a sound that will “perk up” the dogs’ ears. Do this about 30 times per day.
2. Give them large raw (not cooked) real bones: There are 150 muscles in the jaw that when exercised strengthen the ears due to the gnawing, tugging and chewing the bone. Introduce at short intervals as the rich marrow material or bone fragments could cause diarrhea.
3. Feed one or two skinless chicken necks daily. It has naturally occurring calcium. DO NOT use a “Calcium” supplement.
4. Gently pinch the base of the ears together and massage the base without bending the upper ear.
5. Unflavored Gelatin powder: Moisten the kibble with water and sprinkle 1 to 1 ½ Tablespoons on his/her food per feeding. A one ounce box contains 4 envelopes of Gelatin (each packet contains about 2 ½ tsp.). This is found by the “Jello” in the grocery store. It is made from animal collagen. The brand name is Knox Unflavored Gelatin or Great Lakes Unflavored Gelatin. Feed this every day for at least 4-6 weeks. Great Lakes can be bought in larger, cost efficient packages here:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KG7EDU/?tag=viglink20790-20
6. Make sure that his/her ears are not touching the top of the crate (crate pushes ears down) when sitting or standing.

Moms
Agaribay805 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2GSDs View Post
Here are a couple of things you can do to strengthen puppy’s ears.
1. Ear Exercise: Whistle or make a sound that will “perk up” the dogs’ ears. Do this about 30 times per day.
2. Give them large raw (not cooked) real bones: There are 150 muscles in the jaw that when exercised strengthen the ears due to the gnawing, tugging and chewing the bone. Introduce at short intervals as the rich marrow material or bone fragments could cause diarrhea.
3. Feed one or two skinless chicken necks daily. It has naturally occurring calcium. DO NOT use a “Calcium” supplement.
4. Gently pinch the base of the ears together and massage the base without bending the upper ear.
5. Unflavored Gelatin powder: Moisten the kibble with water and sprinkle 1 to 1 ½ Tablespoons on his/her food per feeding. A one ounce box contains 4 envelopes of Gelatin (each packet contains about 2 ½ tsp.). This is found by the “Jello” in the grocery store. It is made from animal collagen. The brand name is Knox Unflavored Gelatin or Great Lakes Unflavored Gelatin. Feed this every day for at least 4-6 weeks. Great Lakes can be bought in larger, cost efficient packages here:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KG7EDU/?tag=viglink20790-20
6. Make sure that his/her ears are not touching the top of the crate (crate pushes ears down) when sitting or standing.

Moms
Seen all of that copied and pasted many times and doing most of it already. It's helpful but I'm curious if I should wait 2-3 more weeks before taping or gluing or do it next week when he turns 20 weeks old. Thanks.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 07:02 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep1978 View Post
Seen all of that copied and pasted many times and doing most of it already. It's helpful but I'm curious if I should wait 2-3 more weeks before taping or gluing or do it next week when he turns 20 weeks old. Thanks.
I think I taped at about the 18/19 week mark (mine had thin ear leather), but everyone has different views on this subject.

Moms

Last edited by Momto2GSDs; 09-15-2016 at 07:06 PM.

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 07:04 PM
Crowned Member

I don't even think about taping until the 24 week mark.
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
I don't even think about taping until the 24 week mark.
That's not to late?
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 11:05 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep1978 View Post
That's not to late?
IME, that is about the time teething is nearly complete and if the ears aren't up, they should be up real soon. I have had too many dogs have their ears come up after six months without taping.

I have also seen where people have taped prematurely and then they wound up with crooked ears.
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
IME, that is about the time teething is nearly complete and if the ears aren't up, they should be up real soon. I have had too many dogs have their ears come up after six months without taping.

I have also seen where people have taped prematurely and then they wound up with crooked ears.
Thanks!!
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 10:44 AM
Crowned Member

I don't think there's any harm in glueing or taping them now, IMHO.
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Is it possible that a ear can be to heavy to come up or will it come up regardless as long as genetics aren't an issue?
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 03:43 AM

I was worried about my pup's ears when she was 4 months old and they didn't look like they were getting any closer.

~At that point, we started giving her gelatin in her wet food I think 3-4X/week (I forget exactly).

~She was basically getting a new bully stick every other day for a month.

~She would get a huge raw bone about 4 times a week. The package said not to give them more than 2 per week but she was a HORRIBLE nipper/chewer and I needed relief.

~We also gave her freeze dried chicken necks. (I've read you are suppose to give it to them raw).

I think all those things together helped but I believe the chewing helped the most. She felt like chewing more than usual around that time frame, lost and grew in all her incisors, and one ear went up 2 weeks later and by 5 months both were up. Its probably too soon to tape. My friends pup is 8 months old now and they just started taping one ear and it looks like its going to stay up. Give it at least another month or two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page