16 weeks and only one ear up - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
If he is 8 months old you will be worried about his gaits and clumsiness and possibly brattiness too. It comes with the package.
heck,mine is 13 weeks and I'm worried about his gaits and clumsiness and even a bit about brattiness Not *really* worried, but as you say, it's part of the package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookwoodgirl View Post
lots of hope, especially if he is a big boned puppy.

Very big boned.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 07:17 AM

Oaks had both ears up for a good two weeks at 12 wks old, at 14 wks they started taking turns flopping again. One day the right, next the left, then both are up, then both are down. I am trying my best not to worry. Although the cat has a fondness of nipping him near and on the ears when they tumble around and people who pet him love the softness of his ears. I never remember an issue with the GSDs I had growing up with their ears and we never minded any special attention to not touching them or anything so I'm going to just wait this teething phase out before I start to worry.

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 10:54 PM

With my puppy, it seems as though they want to come up, but then his ears annoy him and he vigorously shakes his head so they fall.
wolfy dog likes this.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Well today they are both down and he is teething hard. The LH side still worries me since it has only been up for a few seconds unlike the RH which was up for weeks but I guess I will have to wait and see if they both end up coming up together now.

He will be 18 weeks old on Monday and the vet wants to post the ears with glue and moleskin at 20 weeks

Last edited by shep1978; 08-31-2016 at 08:04 PM.
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep1978 View Post
Well today they are both down and he is teething hard. The LH side still worries me since it has only been up for a few seconds unlike the RH which was up for weeks but I guess I will have to wait and see if they both end up coming up together now.

He will be 18 weeks old on Monday and the vet wants to post the ears with glue and moleskin at 20 weeks
again, if teething it's not uncommon and if they have gone up, it usually means they will.
pics??
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
again, if teething it's not uncommon and if they have gone up, it usually means they will.
pics??
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 09:50 AM

he's gorgeous and though I am no expert, I think that ear will go up. I knew a shepherd whose had a broken ear, but it was "broken" on the outside fold. Yours looks like there is lift on the inside, and not a break on the outside. When the inside stiffens, the ear looks like it will go up, no "break".

Have you looked into chews to strengthen the muscle? My teething pup is crazy right now for split elk antlers (split so the marrow is accessible) and I guess it is the esophagus of cows. He likes these better than marrow bones.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
he's gorgeous and though I am no expert, I think that ear will go up. I knew a shepherd whose had a broken ear, but it was "broken" on the outside fold. Yours looks like there is lift on the inside, and not a break on the outside. When the inside stiffens, the ear looks like it will go up, no "break".

Have you looked into chews to strengthen the muscle? My teething pup is crazy right now for split elk antlers (split so the marrow is accessible) and I guess it is the esophagus of cows. He likes these better than marrow bones.
We buy him a new knuckle bone weekly and he gets pigskin rolls nightly. He chews so much he has dulled his puppy k9's
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

20 weeks is coming up in a few days and the one is back up for the most part but the flat ear is still flat even though there does appears to be some slight raise in the back. He is still teething hard also.

Think I should still wait it out a few more weeks before taping or gluing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page