7 Month Old Female Ears not up - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 06:33 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2GSDs View Post
Please do not give rawhide. It is very dangerous!
Use larger than their mouth, raw bones.

Moms
I dont normally recommend it but the dog needs to chew a lot to get those ear muscles strong. Raw bones dont make them chew. It wont harm the dog to chew on rawhide or pigs ears for a couple of weeks to get those ears up. She is at the 7 month mark and that is near or even past the deadline to get them up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 12:33 AM
Crowned Member

I use braided bully sticks and raw knuckle bones for my puppies. I would avoid rawhide. Years ago I had to pull a long strip of it out of my Dobe's throat. She was choking on it. No more rawhides.

~ Diane ~

SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't
CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
RUSSELL ..... Lauremi's Paix
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 10:34 AM
Knighted Member

Hi Julian G: We'll have to agree to disagree on this one!

Choking or blockages. Rawhide bones and other edible chews can pose a choking and blockage risk. In fact, this is a much bigger risk than contamination or digestive irritation. If your dog swallows large pieces of rawhide, the rawhide can get stuck in the esophagus or other parts of the digestive tract. Depending on its size and where it is located, a vet may be able to remove these pieces fairly easily through the throat. But sometimes, abdominal surgery is needed to remove them from the stomach or intestines. If it isn’t resolved, a blockage can lead to death. petmd

Large chunks can be swallowed whole. These are indigestible and can cause serious illness for your dog or even death. canine journal

. It can be a choking a hazard. Once your dog swallows a tiny, broken piece of rawhide, that portion can get lodged in his throat; putting him in serious danger.
· It can cause digestive blockage. Allowing your pooch to swallow a large piece of rawhide can also endanger his life. Rawhides can expand inside Fido’s stomach, putting him at risk of a fatal blockage. It can even wrap around his intestines, causing the same obstruction.
· It can cause gastrointestinal problems. If your pooch ingests too many rawhides, he may develop gastrointestinal complications. dogington post

Not to mention the toxic chemicals that are used to process the hides!
When tested: Lead, Arsenic, Mercury, Chromium salts, Formaldehyde and other toxic chemicals have been detected in raw hides. Dogs Naturally Magazine

. Some rawhides contain deadly poisons. The process of making rawhide involves chemically separating the outer layer of skin (usually of a cow) from the hide. This process leaves deadly poisons in the chew, including arsenic and formaldehyde. doggington post

Moms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page