Hi Julian G: We'll have to agree to disagree on this one!
Choking or blockages.
Rawhide bones and other edible chews can pose a choking and blockage risk.
In fact, this is a much bigger risk than contamination or digestive irritation. If your dog swallows large pieces of rawhide, the rawhide can get stuck in the esophagus or other parts of the digestive tract.
Depending on its size and where it is located, a vet may be able to remove these pieces fairly easily through the throat. But sometimes, abdominal surgery
is needed to remove them from the stomach or intestines. If it isn’t resolved, a blockage can lead to death.
Large chunks can be swallowed whole. These are indigestible and can cause serious illness
for your dog or even death
. canine journal
. It can be a choking a hazard.
Once your dog swallows a tiny, broken piece of rawhide, that portion can get lodged in his throat; putting him in serious danger.
· It can cause digestive blockage.
Allowing your pooch to swallow a large piece of rawhide can also endanger his life
. Rawhides can expand inside Fido’s stomach, putting him at risk of a fatal blockage
. It can even wrap around his intestines, causing the same obstruction.
· It can cause gastrointestinal problems.
If your pooch ingests too many rawhides, he may develop gastrointestinal complications. dogington post
Not to mention the toxic chemicals
that are used to process the hides!
Lead, Arsenic, Mercury, Chromium salts, Formaldehyde and other toxic chemicals have been detected in raw hides. Dogs Naturally Magazine
. Some rawhides contain deadly poisons.
The process of making rawhide involves chemically separating the outer layer of skin (usually of a cow) from the hide. This process leaves deadly poisons in the chew, including arsenic and formaldehyde. doggington post