ear + dirty environment suggestions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2014, 12:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default ear + dirty environment suggestions

Hi,

My dog loves to play in the dirt and sand, were always around parks deep in sandy and dirt trails.

I don't want to give up going to these types of environments for playing/ exercising time. can someone give me suggestions pls ?

Can I possibly start cutting the fur right near the ear hole so that it starts growing longer ? has anyone ever tried that ?

thanks
richardVAL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2014, 10:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hi,

Since it appears no one has responded to you, let me give it a shot.

No, cutting the fur will not make it grow longer. Going on to the original issue, can you explain why you are worried about dirt in your dogs ears? If it is because he is getting pieces of gravel or something larger than just grit, I can understand your concern and maybe just putting some cotton balls in the ears while playing would solve the problem. If your concern is more along the lines of just not liking the inside ear flaps to be dirty, my suggestion would be to let the dog be a dog and get his fill of fun. When you get home you can gently wipe out his ears with a soft cloth dampened with water or wet down the cloth with an cleaner specifically for ears like Zymox. HOME

Lynn & Traveler
Traveler's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2014, 10:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

No, cutting the hair won't do anything. These guys are pretty hardy and their ears are designed to keep stuff out/be self-cleaning. Why do you think you can't have the dog in those types of environments? Unless the dog has noticeably goopy ears or some indication of infection, it's really not something you need to worry about. If he DOES have ear crud, it's likely not due to the environments he's in.
LoveEcho is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2014, 12:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

My dog gets dust/dirt in his ears from diving after balls and (badly thrown) Frisbees. I have doggie wipes that I use periodically to gently wipe down his ears.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Russell is always getting dirt and sand in his gigantic ears. If Carly wouldn't roll him around on the ground all the time, it wouldn't happen. I have to clean them out periodically, or he'll start hanging his ears off the sides of his head like a donkey.

Carly ~ AKC Champion, GCh pointed, HIC
Sage ~ AKC Ch. pointed (13 pts - chasing that last major), HIC
Russell ~ the big boy
Mimi & Pi ~ the meezers
dogfaeries is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2014, 10:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler's Mom View Post
Hi,

Since it appears no one has responded to you, let me give it a shot.

No, cutting the fur will not make it grow longer. Going on to the original issue, can you explain why you are worried about dirt in your dogs ears? If it is because he is getting pieces of gravel or something larger than just grit, I can understand your concern and maybe just putting some cotton balls in the ears while playing would solve the problem. If your concern is more along the lines of just not liking the inside ear flaps to be dirty, my suggestion would be to let the dog be a dog and get his fill of fun. When you get home you can gently wipe out his ears with a soft cloth dampened with water or wet down the cloth with an cleaner specifically for ears like Zymox. HOME

Lynn & Traveler

hi thanks,

its because my dog has gotten two ear infections so far since i have adopted her (and shes less than 8 months * age) , the first time i had to bring her to a vet because it got REALLY nasty in the ear, and for the second which is still currently active, i have been giving this ear med i got from a pet store which is NOT working very well at all and has been there for weeks her scratching is also making it worst. ( looks mildly red and very tiny bumps not very many though )

i figured since the dog is constantly in these types of environments that it may be the case, I MOST CERTAINLY do not want to take her out of these types of envorinments because she loves it but i was asking to know if there was method to keeping their ears clean because i thought these ear infections might be common , i guess i was wrong must have had water go into her ear some how??
Old 11-04-2014, 10:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveEcho View Post
No, cutting the hair won't do anything. These guys are pretty hardy and their ears are designed to keep stuff out/be self-cleaning. Why do you think you can't have the dog in those types of environments? Unless the dog has noticeably goopy ears or some indication of infection, it's really not something you need to worry about. If he DOES have ear crud, it's likely not due to the environments he's in.
must have been water from a bath most likely.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

My sheperd had 2 ear infections this summer when he was in and out of the plastic pool during hot weather.Warmth and moisture will cause infection.Now that it's cooled off his ears still get dirt and sand in them but so far so goodHe won't let me clean his ears anymore(he hated the drops) so I am currently trying to recondition him by touching his ears gently while grooming or petting him when he's feeling mellow.The vet provided me with an anti bacterial lotion to clean them.In hindsight I wish I had made ear cleaning a daily thing to avoid the aversion he has now.
dogma13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2014, 11:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Ear infections do not come from dirty areas or water!!! This is a huge myth! If your dog is PRONE to ear infections then yes being wet a lot can make it worse, but it's not the cause! This is allergies, allergies, allergies. Whether it be to food or environmental, it is from allergies plain and simple. The ears are just an extension of skin, which is method through which dogs and cats express allergies. I will never understand why vets don't explain this. I find people all the time breeding dogs who get horrible multiple times a year ear infections and had no idea that it came from allergies which are at the very least partly genetic, then wonder why the son or daughter they kept has horrible ear infections too.
My dogs swam for 8-10 hours a day for a week on a beach vacation and no one got an ear infection (because they do not have allergies!).

https://www.acvs.org/small-animal/otitis-externa

Last edited by ugavet2012; 11-04-2014 at 11:18 PM.
ugavet2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2014, 01:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugavet2012;6208009My dogs swam for 8-10 hours a day for a week on a beach vacation and no one got an ear infection (because they do not have allergies!).

[URL
https://www.acvs.org/small-animal/otitis-externa[/URL]
My boy swims nearly daily in our pond. (*knock on wood*) He's never had an ear infection.

OP - very good chance your boy has staff. You really need to take him back to the vet.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.