Ear Cartilage Damaged? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2014, 07:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ear Cartilage Damaged?

Hello everyone Im all new to the owning of a german shepherd and just want some good advice guys

Well I own a 10 week old german shepherd puppy and have been currently concerned with one of his ears not standing erect. When I first got the pup, only one of his ears were fully erect and the other was down. I didn't think much of it until I noticed a crease fully across his ear were it flapped down, it isnt like the other ear which goes up and down occasionally. That one ear never stood up completely yet is erect on the
Polo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2014, 08:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hello everyone im all new to owning a german shepherd and just want some good advice to ease my worries

Well I own a 10 week old gsd pup and am worried about one of his ears, his left ear on the picture has a noticable crease that runs across inside the middle of his ear, the pup always had that one ear down and the other fully erect but it is starting to worry me since both bases of his ears are erect except the one ear where it appears folded in half, it especially worries me since the whole litter where I got him from had fully erect ears at 5 or 6 weeks. Could it be that the cartilage is damaged? Its only that one ear the other one is fine.I also noticed a dent on the edge of his ear. If so is there any way to assist it going up? Thank you and I appreciate all your help! Heres some pics
Attached Thumbnails
Ear Cartilage Damaged?-20140913_190831_1410653051213.jpg   Ear Cartilage Damaged?-20140913_190635_1410653072312.jpg   Ear Cartilage Damaged?-20140913_191107_1410653114758.jpg   Ear Cartilage Damaged?-20140913_191140-1_1410653148478.jpg  
Polo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2014, 08:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

It looks like his ear is uncurling. Do not worry. He is still really young and a lot of shepherds do not have one or both ears up at 10 weeks. My pups ears were not up until several months later ( after teething)
Lwilley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2014, 08:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

That's a deep crease. I only saw one dog's ears so I'm not an expert though
lalachka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2014, 01:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Keep him chewing on bones/antlers this helps to strengthen the cartilage. I wouldn't be concerned yet.Here's a picture of my dog at about 15 weeks or so and one that I took the other day.Ear Cartilage Damaged?-imageuploadedbypg-free1410715738.971981.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Ear Cartilage Damaged?-imageuploadedbypg-free1410715578.902532.jpg  
Bobby25104 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.