German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Ears Up?????? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ears-up/)
-   -   My 6 month olds, one ear is not up! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ears-up/456162-my-6-month-olds-one-ear-not-up.html)

Emerald1981 06-01-2014 06:25 PM

My 6 month olds, one ear is not up!

1 Attachment(s)
My German Shephers pup is 6 months old and his ear is not up? I've been told if they are not up by now then it's never going to come up. We had him for 3 months and his ear has never went up. Seems heavy! Has anyone had a GS and their ears go up later then 6 months? I attached a photo. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

nezzz 06-01-2014 10:21 PM

It seems a little late (all my dogs ears went up by 3.5 months) but definitely fixable. Observe for another week or so and maybe consider taping the ears.

Emerald1981 06-01-2014 11:04 PM

Thanks so much. We are considering taping but thought I would try and see others opinion. So it's appreciated :)

Emerald1981 06-02-2014 08:56 AM

Niko is 6 months old and weighs 75lbs already. The vet said he's going to be a big boy. I just wish his ear would stand. Some days it looks like it wants too, it just looks a bit heavy at this point

Maxil 06-02-2014 09:27 AM

go to the vet , he will give you some vitamines this will help your dog, also don't tap on his head makes his ear's nerves weak

Axle 06-02-2014 10:01 AM

Axle's ears went up without intervention at 7 and a half months. Good luck!

MaggieRoseLee 06-02-2014 11:07 AM

I'm moving this to the ears up section, make sure you read thru the other posts there to get a better grasp on the time frame and if it's better to tape now then wait.

What does the breeder say? Are the littermates in the same situation or are their ears up? This is a GENETIC situation so that should help calm you (or not) with the updates.

DJEtzel 06-02-2014 11:38 AM

I would be taping for sure. It might be too late, ime. My border collie got taped starting at 5 mos and one of his ears still wouldn't set properly. One did.

Emerald1981 06-02-2014 02:11 PM

Thanks to everyone for ur advice. I did not get Niko from the actual breeder, a lady couldn't not handle him, she had another female GS and she did not like Niko so she had I get rid of him. I was glad to take him :) I will get into contact with her and see if she has more info as far as the breeders go. Thanks Maggie Roselee for moving this. I'm new to the site and still learning.

mydogs 06-03-2014 04:15 PM

It's not too late. Tape now. My pups went up 7.5 months after using Ear Forms for 3 weeks. Order from canine callidus along with patexx glue or use eyelash glue the trick is keep it in for 2-3 weeks straight. Re apply glue as needed but don't take it out. Give goat cheese tablespoon with each meal

Sent from Petguide.com Free App