Losing hope - German Shepherd Dog Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
mydogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 434
Losing hope

I've been using breathe right strips for 6 weeks religiously and supplementing as my vet directed. My pup is 6.5 months now. The strips came out today they were in for 6 days. Ear flopped. It's now been up for 3 hours but as soon as he falls asleep and wakes up it's flopped at the tip and usually doesn't come back up. I'm hoping it does. I'm switching to the ear forms they're being shipped today. Until they get here I will be using moleskin if the ear flops again. Frustrated


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
mydogs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
mydogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 434
Losing hope-imageuploadedbypg-free1398111256.759883.jpg
Looks strong right? But it will flop


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
mydogs is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 04:23 PM
Member
 
pineconeforestGSD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: NE.PA.
Posts: 52
don't forget the dog is trying his best. try and make him feel better and ill bet the ears will perk right up and begin to look great.
see clearly in your minds eye the exact way you want the ears,have patience and they WILL turn out great.
just please don't give up.
best wishes :-)

Teana- black & red GSD (rescue)July 10, 2013
CHANNING American white shepherd
Ladybird-Min-Pin 1-10-01 until 2-12-14
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
pineconeforestGSD is offline  
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 04:25 PM
Crowned Member
 
Courtney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,913
Were they ever up completely on their own? Does he have any litter mates - mom/dad with soft ears?

Giving him something to safely chew on is good as well - builds those muscles up.

My boys flipped flopped - then at 6 months were up for good. I don't have any experience with taping but would keep at it.
Courtney is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
mydogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by pineconeforestGSD View Post
don't forget the dog is trying his best. try and make him feel better and ill bet the ears will perk right up and begin to look great.
see clearly in your minds eye the exact way you want the ears,have patience and they WILL turn out great.
just please don't give up.
best wishes :-)

Not giving up at all..he chews on Merrick bones and bully sticks. Going to get more now. I will see how he does overnight. It's usually when he's tired it flops midway up. I was told his great grandad Zamp thermodos had soft ears for awhile.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
mydogs is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
mydogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
Were they ever up completely on their own? Does he have any litter mates - mom/dad with soft ears?

Giving him something to safely chew on is good as well - builds those muscles up.

My boys flipped flopped - then at 6 months were up for good. I don't have any experience with taping but would keep at it.

At 4 months one was straight up one day down next then other was up. About 3 weeks ago it stayed up for 5 days I thought I was good to go


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
mydogs is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 01:55 AM
Senior Member
 
Jmoore728's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Ponca City, Oklahoma
Posts: 251
My male GSD is 7.5 months old. The breeder taped his ears when he was around 5 months old. They stayed in for about 2 weeks. His ears were up, but the tips were bent over. After the forms came out, they were still bent at times, but starting at the 7 month period, they have been up every since. The tips never flop over, but when he is running at times, they tips will bounce around. Hopefully they will eventually firm up. The breeder is wanting to tape them again, and I will let her next time I'm at her kennel.

Hang in there....it will get better.
Jmoore728 is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
mydogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmoore728 View Post
My male GSD is 7.5 months old. The breeder taped his ears when he was around 5 months old. They stayed in for about 2 weeks. His ears were up, but the tips were bent over. After the forms came out, they were still bent at times, but starting at the 7 month period, they have been up every since. The tips never flop over, but when he is running at times, they tips will bounce around. Hopefully they will eventually firm up. The breeder is wanting to tape them again, and I will let her next time I'm at her kennel.



Hang in there....it will get better.

Sent you a pm


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
mydogs is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 12:52 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mydogs View Post
Sent you a pm


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
The ears are cartilage which can be damaged easily at a young age especially because they feel so soft.

Usually by four months they're up, if not by six months probably never will be. Sorry.
Espa is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 01:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Dublin
Posts: 207
Archer's ears didn't go up until he was 6/7 months old and he still has a slight flippy tip on his right ear, which I don't give a hoot about and actually think it adds character. You can see it here in the photo. Don't get too stressed about it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140419_115825.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	202833  
Arlene/Archer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome