German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Ears Up?????? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ears-up/)
-   -   Losing hope (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ears-up/441097-losing-hope.html)

mydogs 04-21-2014 04:10 PM

Losing hope
 
I've been using breathe right strips for 6 weeks religiously and supplementing as my vet directed. My pup is 6.5 months now. The strips came out today they were in for 6 days. Ear flopped. It's now been up for 3 hours but as soon as he falls asleep and wakes up it's flopped at the tip and usually doesn't come back up. I'm hoping it does. I'm switching to the ear forms they're being shipped today. Until they get here I will be using moleskin if the ear flops again. Frustrated:(


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

mydogs 04-21-2014 04:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 202449
Looks strong right? But it will flop


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

pineconeforestGSD 04-21-2014 04:23 PM

don't forget the dog is trying his best. try and make him feel better and ill bet the ears will perk right up and begin to look great.
see clearly in your minds eye the exact way you want the ears,have patience and they WILL turn out great.
just please don't give up.
best wishes :-)

Courtney 04-21-2014 04:25 PM

Were they ever up completely on their own? Does he have any litter mates - mom/dad with soft ears?

Giving him something to safely chew on is good as well - builds those muscles up.

My boys flipped flopped - then at 6 months were up for good. I don't have any experience with taping but would keep at it.

mydogs 04-21-2014 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pineconeforestGSD (Post 5409377)
don't forget the dog is trying his best. try and make him feel better and ill bet the ears will perk right up and begin to look great.
see clearly in your minds eye the exact way you want the ears,have patience and they WILL turn out great.
just please don't give up.
best wishes :-)


Not giving up at all..he chews on Merrick bones and bully sticks. Going to get more now. I will see how he does overnight. It's usually when he's tired it flops midway up. I was told his great grandad Zamp thermodos had soft ears for awhile.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

mydogs 04-21-2014 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Courtney (Post 5409433)
Were they ever up completely on their own? Does he have any litter mates - mom/dad with soft ears?

Giving him something to safely chew on is good as well - builds those muscles up.

My boys flipped flopped - then at 6 months were up for good. I don't have any experience with taping but would keep at it.


At 4 months one was straight up one day down next then other was up. About 3 weeks ago it stayed up for 5 days I thought I was good to go


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Jmoore728 04-22-2014 01:55 AM

My male GSD is 7.5 months old. The breeder taped his ears when he was around 5 months old. They stayed in for about 2 weeks. His ears were up, but the tips were bent over. After the forms came out, they were still bent at times, but starting at the 7 month period, they have been up every since. The tips never flop over, but when he is running at times, they tips will bounce around. Hopefully they will eventually firm up. The breeder is wanting to tape them again, and I will let her next time I'm at her kennel.

Hang in there....it will get better.

mydogs 04-22-2014 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmoore728 (Post 5411977)
My male GSD is 7.5 months old. The breeder taped his ears when he was around 5 months old. They stayed in for about 2 weeks. His ears were up, but the tips were bent over. After the forms came out, they were still bent at times, but starting at the 7 month period, they have been up every since. The tips never flop over, but when he is running at times, they tips will bounce around. Hopefully they will eventually firm up. The breeder is wanting to tape them again, and I will let her next time I'm at her kennel.



Hang in there....it will get better.


Sent you a pm:)


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Espa 04-22-2014 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mydogs (Post 5412217)
Sent you a pm:)


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

The ears are cartilage which can be damaged easily at a young age especially because they feel so soft.

Usually by four months they're up, if not by six months probably never will be. Sorry. :(

Arlene/Archer 04-22-2014 01:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Archer's ears didn't go up until he was 6/7 months old and he still has a slight flippy tip on his right ear, which I don't give a hoot about and actually think it adds character. You can see it here in the photo. Don't get too stressed about it.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2