German Shepherds Forum banner

Ear question.

3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Harry and Lola 
#1 · (Edited)
My boys ear started to do the teepee for a few weeks. The vet saw it and said I need to massage his ears where there hooked to his head and up all the way to the ends. She said if I don't massage them it will end up broken and stay that way? Is this really true? What I have read is you don't want to touch their ears, it can make them weak. I have know idea what I shall do, wait tell it fixes it's self or massage them so it will stand up =/ one that was standing is now to the side. But the other one still in.

He is 11 weeks.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#2 ·
Handsome pup you have there!! :)

I have never heard a an GSD ear needing massage or else it get's broken, how experienced the vet is with GSds?? Massaging can be beneficial in certain ways i guess but the breaking thing is not true.

I am not an expert but i can say that 11 weeks is very early to ears stand on it's own. Mine started to stand when he was almost 4 months old a=or a little earlier, will need to check pics to confirm but ears not erect on 11 weeks is not an issue.

Please search ears up on the search space and you will find tons of threads :)

No need to worry much, just take a lots of pics of them ears, after few months you will not be able to see them in those positions even if you wanted to. :):)

ETA: http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ears-up/

#6 ·
I think these stages of ears are awesome. I wish people knew more about gsd. Every time I take him out, there is always someone asking "what happen to his ears?", or "poor guy he has messed up ears but he is still cute ", or they ask "how did he break them?":mad: it's like I have to explain every time that they are supposed to do that tell they are older. But they always look at me like "right" .

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#17 ·
I haven't heard of their ears breaking if you don't massage them - seems an odd thing for a Vet to say?

Ears come up and down and the rate in standing upright is different for all pups.

What I do believe is that chewing is good for helping their ears stand up, chewing things like raw marrow bones, nylabones etc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.