Damaged Ear - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2014, 05:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Damaged Ear

My puppy is just 16 weeks old. About ten days ago he was bitten on the ear by my older GSD, and I believe that's what caused one of his ears to go down. He had his vet appointment for shots last Monday and the vet said his ear is not going to come back up.

The ear doesn't look bad, just has a crease where the ear bends, and I was honestly surprised that the vet said, nope, not coming back. And it's quite low on the ear, giving him a really lopsided look. You know what I mean.

Anyway, my question is, will taping/gluing some kind of support fix an ear like this over time, or are those methods only for "weak" ears that need some support while the ear strengthens, and not for ears that sustained trauma.

If anyone thinks support will gradually heal the cartilage, is there a best method? Or is my vet right?

Thanks!
border57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2014, 06:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

16 week old pups ears go up and down. I dont think your vet knows what they are talking about.
volcano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2014, 06:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply, Volcano. I would like to believe this pup doesn't have a problem, but he did get bitten, and the ear went down very soon after. And to me it doesn't look like a "soft" ear problem.

How long do you suggest I leave the ear alone before doing some kind of tape on it? If they go up and down, how long a time do they typically stay down while this goes on? I'm pretty anxious about it, as you can imagine.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Im no expert, ive heard all kinds of stuff but it seems like wives tails. maybe feed her cottage cheese or glucosamine chondritin? My pups ears were up and down based on mood alot, so if shes timid from getting bit that may keep them down.
volcano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2014, 08:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

No, this isn't a timid dog situation. His ears were up nicely, and the ear that is down now was his first ear up. The other one was a solid week behind coming up. The other ear is still up and fine.

I'm reasonably sure the ear is down because of damage done to it. It's not a floppy top of the ear, it's down towards the base.

I'm wondering how long you let something like this go before you try a "fix".
Old 03-27-2014, 08:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

hmm I agree that the vet may not know what they're saying. you should politely email german shepherd breeders and explain what happened and ask their advice. I would guess that those who show their dogs would have more experience than most vets and most GS owners, especially about ears. since their animals are graded partially on their appearance. a show dog who had one ear go down I would imagine couldn't compete anymore unless they got it up again
Old 03-27-2014, 09:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Do you have photos?

My pup got bit on the ear when he was younger and his ear is fine. They were up at 9 weeks, then teepeed for a few weeks, then one fell sideways for a while, and now are up (he's 5 months).
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2014, 09:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Put a breathe rite strip and eyelash glue on sticky side of strip. Let it set for a minute and put it vertical in his ear where crease is. You may have to move it a few times to get it where it stands. Here's a pic Damaged Ear-imageuploadedbypg-free1395971438.619197.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
mydogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 01:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

These are photos. I took two this morning. You can see where the ear lops over, and you can see the horizontal crease where the lop over occurs about an inch above my thumb. The other picture is from three weeks ago, and you can see both ears then. Up until two weeks ago, his ears had been solidly upright until the bite occurred.

Jack looks a little concerned in this morning's picture, I've been messing with his ear and he doesn't like it. Something he's going to have to get used to, I think.

The breathe rite strip looks relatively easy, how long can it stay on? I only have two hands to do everything, and he squirms and evades pretty hard.

Is there any other recommended ways that would be better?

Thanks, everyone! This means a lot to ask and have people respond.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Yeah that looks normal to me. I'd leave it alone and worry more around 6 months if its not up by then.
Boaz von der Quellwasser - little man in training!

http://vomfeuergarten.weebly.com/
GatorDog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.