Mixed Breed.... ears? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2014, 05:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Mixed Breed.... ears?

She's a mutt.

She's my wonderful mutt, but a mutt none-the-less. This is momma (on the right):

And no picture of Dad, but he has erect ears and is mostly GSD if not fully GSD. (irresponsible owners, puppies were then rescued by my friend who is their neighbors after pups were abandoned without food or water when the owner left for 2 weeks, and I got my pup from her).

And this is Arya.

So... she's 8 weeks old tomorrow. I really don't care whether she has erect ears or not, I love her regardless of appearance... but I'm curious.

What do y'all think??
Serbrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2014, 05:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Such a cutie. It really just depends on the puppy/breed. My German shepherd puppies ears stood at 8 weeks and then flip flopped until now at 3 months they are both erect.I asked his vet about this and was informed that from birth to 1 year of age they can go up and down (this has to do with teething). So again it just depends on the dog/breed. Your pup being a mix and her mommas ears being down it is hard to say. But regardless, she looks like a doll!
The Cash Mans Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2014, 11:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks. I love her. so far, such an easy puppy. Keep with a schedule and she's golden.

Anyone else have thoughts on her ears? Or is there absolutely no way of telling for a few more months?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 02-26-2014, 11:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

No way to tell. Even with purebred. Here's some encouragement though Mixed Breed.... ears?-imageuploadedbypg-free1393471432.216039.jpgMixed Breed.... ears?-imageuploadedbypg-free1393471447.485886.jpg less than 2 months apart

Thewretched is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2014, 11:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

She's a doll! I have no idea about the ears though. I've had Zoe 4 weeks and her ears go up and down then one up one down etc...I think sometimes you just don't know until they're a little older!

ZoeD1217 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2014, 12:32 AM   #6 (permalink)

Hmmm interesting to think about, I guess it would depend on where the Australian ? Shepherd ear genes are stronger than the GSD ear genes ? Or would it just be a simple random mix opposed to one gene over powering the other?

I really want to learn more about genetics tehe.

My friend had a Golden Retriever / Husky mix and it got the golden retriever floppy ears. Still adorable regardless ! Maybe you'll get one up and one down Wouldn't that be cute!

Mocha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2014, 01:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't think there is any way to tell but here is more encouragement.

My mutt at 13 weeks.

shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2014, 03:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

Hahaha... love that all of y'all are saying she's a doll. About 5 seconds after I took this picture she jumped up and started "attacking" my hand, and then wouldn't sit or stand still at all. Such a ham for attention though. I don't take her many places, but whenever I do, she sees a human being, ears just perk up, she looks at them, and starts wagging her tail.

But yeah... thanks! I was just curious!
Old 03-04-2014, 11:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Can't tell yet. I have a German Shepherd/Golden Retriever mix. His ears went up around 4 months. My purebred German Shepherd pups ears went up fully at 7 weeks and are still up now at 13 almost 14 weeks. I kept in contact with the person I got my German Shepherd mix from. There ended up being more down than up eared dogs.

This is my German Shepherd/Golden Retriever mix Kaiser. One of the only pictures where you see his ears clearly. Most pictures he has them pinned slightly back because he's making eye contact.

Wet dog

KaiserandStella is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2014, 02:47 AM   #10 (permalink)

Well, it'll be interesting seeing the whole litter... most of which we know the owners and can keep in touch easily. So far none have ears up... but with two... possibly three... different dads, it'll be interesting. Mine and another were a German Shepherd mix/poorly bred pure, as well as maybe one or two others... and at least 3 were from a Czech bred german shepherd, and there's one that, while the coloring is the same, the build of the body just isn't quite the same... so there might be an additional dad.

Both known dads have erect ears. Mom is as you see above.

And... good news. Momma got spayed two days ago. PRAISE THE LORD. It was looking there for quite a bit that the momma wouldn't get spayed and we'd have another litter this summer.... which is far from ideal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.