German Shepherds Forum banner

14 week old puppy's ears

13K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  mydogs 
#1 ·
Liebchen will be 14 weeks old on February 4, and her ears aren't up. I know it's still early, but I was wondering if you guys might tell me what my odds are of them coming up without intervention. My other shepherd had to be taped, but that was almost ten years ago and I don't remember too much about the process.

These pics were all taken this afternoon. They aren't the greatest, but she doesn't sit still a lot. ;)

Thanks in advance for all comments.

See less See more
#2 ·
They are coming up. One is crossed over. :) Riley's ears didn't come all the way up until he was about 5 months old. I was told his would take a while to come up because they were heavy. They were very thick sturdy ears.

Usually by 6 months or when they are done teething they will be up.

#3 ·
Thanks for responding! I guess I'm most concerned about the right ear, because it stood halfway up since we got her (the pic below was taken at 10 weeks old).

Then, one morning last week, she came out of her crate and it was flopped down like a Labrador's. It's a little better now, but still nowhere near where it was. I'm paranoid she laid on it wrong and damaged it. :eek:

The left ear can stand a little bit, albeit very crookedly! I have high hopes for it. ;)

#5 ·
Taping ears are supposed to keep the ears erect, this way, the cartilage will grow into the erect ears, keeping them erect. Sometimes the ears will go up naturally, sometimes they need help. I would recommend taping if his ears don't come up after four months. I know plenty of GSD owners who taped their dogs' ears, and they went up just fine.

#10 ·
I'm in the same boat, waiting to see what my 4 month old baby's ears will do. They were standing good than one day her right ear just flopped right back over on us. Our almost 2 year old male has soft ears though and I love them so either way it doesn't matter where her ears go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.