German Shepherds Forum banner

Floppy ears on a 2 yr old...

16K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  lindadrusilla 
#1 ·
Kolby is 2 years old now and I had hope maybe his ears would go up but they haven't. I also have his sister whose ears went up right away.

Just wondering if there's any way to get his ears up at this point or if it's too late?

Dog Dog breed Canidae Mammal Nose

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

See less See more
#3 ·
I would say yes - what are they mixed with?

His genetics may have predisposed him to a "collie" ear, which is why they never stood. They don't look particularly heavy, and since both are quite even, I wouldn't say that it is due to damage.

You could try -there is no harm in it - and see what happens. But ideally you want to start this around 7-8 months.

#5 ·
Are you sure there isn't another mix in there? Since both those breeds have erect ears, especially the husky, I would say either there's another mix in there somewhere it the ears aren't up because of damage.

I read a post earlier this month that someone had ears go up at 1.5 years, so I would say try it! I believe they said they tried a strong bonding glue their vet ordered.

#7 ·
Yeah they will still look beautiful and we love them for what and who they are! Ears up or not...

However, there are benefits to ears up or for whatever reason some people prefer them to be, I used a fabric glue known as the "tear mender". Even after the ears get separated, I left the glue there and eventually it will rub off.

His ears stood almost immediately after i used it on him. He was almost a year old then. I glued it like the pic below:

Dog Mammal Vertebrate Old german shepherd dog Canidae

I suppose there's no harm trying. Hope it works for you ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.