German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Ears Up?????? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ears-up/)
-   -   Will his ears go up? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ears-up/399961-will-his-ears-go-up.html)

mydogs 01-22-2014 08:50 AM

Will his ears go up?

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 170353

He is 4 months today his right ear getting there but his left pretty flimsy. They were both up the other day when he woke up in his cage. Then after few mins back down.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Baillif 01-22-2014 08:53 AM

They'll go up

fredh 01-22-2014 12:24 PM

Our Jake only had one ear up when we got him at 4 months of age. So it shouldn't be long! Looks like he is going to be a Big Boy!

DJEtzel 01-22-2014 12:31 PM

You could always tape if you're worried. :)

mydogs 01-22-2014 02:13 PM

Thank you was just a bit worried

HarleyTheGSD 01-22-2014 02:19 PM

They may permanently go up, but as a precaution, I would definitely recommend taping now. Regular breath-right strips (make sure they are regular, other kinds won't work) and eyelash glue work well.
Apply the eyelash glue to the sticky side of the breath-right strip.
Place two strips in each ear vertically, on each of the creases.
They tend to scratch them off, so you'll have to be consistent with reapplying them.

mydogs 01-22-2014 04:14 PM

Thank you!!

Donovan514 01-22-2014 06:32 PM

My breeder told me that its perfectly normal for ears to not be until the pup hits 6 months, then they recommend tape. He said long coats take a little longer because of the hair behind the ears. I certainly wouldn't worry at 4 months.

DJEtzel 01-22-2014 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donovan514 (Post 4885730)
My breeder told me that its perfectly normal for ears to not be until the pup hits 6 months, then they recommend tape. He said long coats take a little longer because of the hair behind the ears. I certainly wouldn't worry at 4 months.

Taping after 5/6 mos will not do anything. I taped my puppy's ears just past 5 mos and one did not take still. He's a little floppy. XD

Ideal time to do it is 3-4 mos. And there's no harm in doing it as a precaution if you want them up. I sure would/did. I had a border collie, with long hair as well. You will want to shave the inside fully and the outside of the back will help to take weight off.

I used tongue depressors, breathe right strips, and tear mender.

GSDAlphaMom 01-22-2014 07:02 PM

I agree with DJ. My bogey is 4.5 months. If they aren't up by then I use forms. Yes they can still go up on their own but the chances decrease after 5-6 months. Best results are to provide support by 5 months if they are not up and if it is important to you.

His right ear is well on it's way, I would be more concerned with the left ear.