opinion on puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2014, 01:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default opinion on puppy

OK guys i need some opinions on my puppy ears and development.First they have never been up yet... They have been always 3/4 up till now (17 weeks) always one of the ears was higher than the other one... So how do you think is there a chance, and when i shoud consider taping ? Also i have contacted with my breeder and the guy said that there`s no point of worrying and the ears will stand .. Ok now the other thing, i think that my puppy development is too slow, i dont know i have browsed gsd wich are 4 months old and all of them are bigger than mine , i feed him with Royal Canin maxi junior , and because of my stupidity i made the measurement on eye , and i started to measure the food ot electronic scale since i got my worries (since 4th month).The dog is bought from quality breeder and have a pedigree here is the father => http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/germ...html?id=701786 , thank you for your opinions i appreciated them a lot !

and one older picture

Last edited by sony92; 01-18-2014 at 01:05 PM.
sony92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2014, 01:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think you are worrying to much :P. Dogs will grow at their own pace, as long as he is on a good quality food eating and pooping normal I would not worry. The ears at 17 weeks I wouldn't worry either if they are not up by 6-7 months then worry. It looks like they are working on coming up slowly lol.
Melly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2014, 01:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

If I was betting money I'd say they go up
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2014, 02:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Don't worry too much about it. Every dog grows at it's own pace just like everything else. I'd say enjoy those puppy days while they last because before you know it, they'll be giants.

The ears will go up eventually. My girl's ears didn't go up until she was 6 months and my boy's ears went up at 14 weeks. Both didn't need any type of support.
GSDkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2014, 02:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

They look like they'll go up to me, too - they look strong at the base. He's probably just starting teething, which can make ears that were already up, go up and down, so it's too soon to worry. If they're not up after he's done teething, that's when you should consider taping, but that's a couple of months from now.

Feeding him more will not make him larger, that's determined by his genetics, it will only make him fat. Puppies do not all grow at the same rate, just like humans. Considering there's a 22 pound range in the standard for adult GSDs, it only makes sense that there will be various "normal" weights at every stage of development.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 04:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

yep he have just start teething , about week and a half ago. And what about his size ? Is the growth rate varies on each dog ? Is it possible that my dog develop slowly till 4 month and then start to grow more quickly? Actually till what time gsd`s grow rapidly ?
Thank you for your feedback
sony92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 12:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

I had a female Shepherd at 6 months she was 35 lbs I really thought her growth was messed up.... at 1 year she had matured to a decent 55 lbs now at 3 she is 72-75. I have another that was 55 lbs at 6 months and only 65 lbs at 19 months, they all do their own thing.
Melly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 01:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sony92 View Post
Is it possible that my dog develop slowly till 4 month and then start to grow more quickly? Actually till what time gsd`s grow rapidly ?
Absolutely, and it depends on the dog. Generally speaking, the rapid growth of puppyhood has begun to slow down by 6 months or so. Baby puppies can put on as much as 10-12 pounds in a month, but obviously that doesn't keep up forever. Our Dena at 6 months old outweighed her half brother Keefer by 7 pounds when he was the same age, but his adult weight was 8-10 pounds more than hers, so they grew at different rates even though they were related.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 01:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

my last GSD ears stood at 6 months old. the dog i
have now ears stood at 5 months. both dogs ears
did the dance "one ear up one ear down both ears
round and round".

don't worry about the size of your dog. all of them grow
differently and at their natural pace.

Last edited by doggiedad; 01-19-2014 at 01:41 PM.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 03:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Just as a precaution, I would start taping now. My younger male's ears stood up for a good 2 weeks, then fell down during teething. It's been deciding what it wants to do ever since. One of his ears is completely erect, while the other has a tiny crease. I started taping at six months. Look at the photos of Varick now on my profile page. The ear isn't floppy, but it's not completely erect.

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
DDR/West German Show Line
HarleyTheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.