German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Ears Up?????? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ears-up/)
-   -   Cheap solution to fix broken ears in an ADULT GSDs. (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ears-up/390506-cheap-solution-fix-broken-ears-adult-gsds.html)

Mickeynads 01-03-2014 09:47 AM

Cheap solution to fix broken ears in an ADULT GSDs.

3 Attachment(s)
Hi All,

We already asked before about a solution to fix our girl's broken ear and everyone said it was impossible :(

Just a reminder. Our girl had her ears up since she was a pup. Then by 6-7 months, one of the ears started to go up and down till about 14 months, it was completely down and never up. We tried everything (so we thought): chewing bones and toys, glucosamine and chondroitine tablets, cheese, yoghourt, rubbing her ears, and you name it and nothing worked. Our girl had a visible deep crease in her ear from where the ear was down for so long. Since cartilages are like bones and need to be held in place to be fixed, we decided to think of something that would hold the ear straight and remove the crease. So I came up with this very simple cheap way that perfectly worked for us and the crease has completely gone :D
After a while, I did some research and found that some vet in the States has brought out a similar technique but charges nearly $300 or so for it!!!
In reality, this technique would cost you about $5-15 at max for 3-4 months of treating the ears!! Here is a video I've made for you guys and I really hope it helps and really sorry for the video quality, it's my very first upload :)

Also, here are some pics of before the fix, during the fix and after. As you can see, our girl's ear is perfectly fixed and standing on its own for months now yet we started really late when she was about 14 months and she's now 20 months. We still keep applying it even though the ear is standing perfectly just to make sure the cartilage gets stronger and stronger.

I recommend doing it as long as possible, specially if your dog is not a pup anymore, at least minimum 8-12 months.
This technique is very suitable for puppies as well since it's very light for the ear. This may also work in other breeds too since the principle is the same for broken cartilages.

Good luck and really really hope this helps you with your dog's ears. Let us know :)

MaggieRoseLee 01-03-2014 10:00 AM

Thanks for making a video, hopefully this can help some other dogs.

Mickeynads 01-03-2014 10:05 AM

Your very welcome :) Really hope it helps out a lot of people like it did for us :)

Msmaria 01-03-2014 10:10 AM

Great video, this will defintely be able to help others here with the same issues. Did your dogs teeth ever grow in? I have a dog also missing teeth.

Mickeynads 01-03-2014 10:15 AM

Thanks a lot Msmaria :) Unfortunately Enakai has still 2 missing teeth (P1 teeth). I've read in another post someone had their dogs P1 teeth growing after 2 years of age, so I'll wait and see with fingers crossed :)

mkelley2 01-03-2014 10:16 AM

Thank you for the video very.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

mkelley2 01-03-2014 10:17 AM

Helpful

Eiros 01-03-2014 10:18 AM

Sounds a lot like the problem we have with our pup... Ear flipping up and down constantly with no change from 6-8 months... Might give this a try! Thank you!

Mickeynads 01-03-2014 01:15 PM

Your welcome all :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eiros (Post 4765170)
Sounds a lot like the problem we have with our pup... Ear flipping up and down constantly with no change from 6-8 months... Might give this a try! Thank you!

I think the sooner you start fixing your pup's ear, the better it is. We thought at the same age that the floppy ear would still stand on its own and instead it got worse and once it was fully down, it never went up again and we were told it never will.. At least your pup's ear is still going up so you should definitively start doing something now before the crease in its ear gets deeper (if it has one now), this will make things a lot easier for you guys, rather than waiting like we did. I really hope it helps you if you try it :)

LynnPritchard 01-04-2014 09:44 AM

This is wonderful. Thanks for taking the time to make and post the video! I'm doing the pipe insulation and paper surgical tape method now, with apparent success. However, if that ultimately fails, I'm going to try your plan next! Thanks!