Cheap solution to fix broken ears in an ADULT GSDs. - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 07:44 PM

You've probably found most of the same things I have on this site, but I found this from several years ago this AM:

You don't need to buy fancy forms to do the ears, I use pipe insulating foam. You can get it at most hardware stores in the plumbing aisle, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, etc. You will also need Johnson's Sports Tape, you can purchase it at Walgreens, make sure you use Johnson's, I have tried other brands and gotten skin reactions, never with Johnson's. If you intend to glue, you will need to purchase a can of skin bond, or I believe it's called "Osto Bond" now, you can usually find that at any medical supply store, some pharmacies also carry it, but you won't find it at the drug store (like Walgreens or CVS). You'll also want to have an exacto knife available. So, to begin with , you will want to take the foam and cut a piece the length of your dog's ear, making sure you cut it long enough to fit down into the base all the way to the tip of the ear. Coat the back of the foam with the skin bond, also coat the inside of the ear with the glue. Firmly press the foam into the ear, making sure you get it all the way into the base, smooth the ear around the foam. Now the tricky part, you'll want to cut the foam with the exacto knife to the shape of the ear, so when you're done, the dog will just have a piece of foam glued to the shape of his ear, not a big round piece hanging in there. (wish I had some pictures!!) Next, use the sports tape and wrap it around the ear to secure the foam, it will be itchy while the glue is setting, the tape will help secure it for a couple of days. I always like to do the other ear as well, even if it's standing, them brace them together while the glue sets up. So for the good ear, you can use the foam, cut an appropriate length, use the sports tape and run it down the foam, then turn the tape so it's sticky side out and wrap it back up the other way. Place that in the dog's good ear and wrap the ear with tape. Now you need to cut a longer length of tape, start at the base of one ear with it, go accross the top of the head and wrap the base of the other ear, back accross the top of the head to the 1st ear, this braces the ears together. Make sure you are careful with the set of the ears while bracing, don't pull them too tight together so they'll be overset, try and get them in a natural position. You can also add another strip of tape on top of the 1st piece that's at the base, just to make sure it holds. I will usually keep the tape on for a couple days, just to make sure the glue is set. You can then remove the tape and form from the good ear and the tape that you have around the bad ear, the foam will remain glued in the bad ear for several weeks. Just watch that he's holding the ear properly on the head, if he starts hanging the ear, you will want to brace them together again. Also, try and have someone available to help you, you will definitely need the extra set of hands!!! Good luck, I have been taping ears this way for over 20 years with good success.

I've been running around like a chicken with its head cut off, buying every product which sounds promising. Tape didn't come today. Will let you know.

I tried the Breathe Rite strips early on with no success, because Trappe's ears are so large and heavy. However, I didn't think to glue them in or to use multiplex in X patterns or whatever. I may also revisit that, perhaps in combination with the Dr. Scholl's molefoam padding, if the other doesn't work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 10:11 AM
Master Member

Haha I feel the same way, running around like crazy. I dont feel like I can do the foam pipe with tape goalposts because he goes to daycare 3-4x a week!! So thats a no go... Im not sure how to balance taping the ear and getting him to daycare... he wont be able to play with other dogs with a crazy ear setup.

I used to cut the breathe-rite strips in half and place each piece in the ear side by side along the crease. It would last overnight and then in the morning I'd take them off and he'd come home after daycare and I'd put new ones in.

Ward's ear STANDS, but not all the time. It's up when he's training, walking, (unless he's pinning them back) chewing, etc. If he's at rest in any way, down it goes, and down it stays!! If I dont reinforce the ear at night, I have a heck of time getting the ear to come back up in the morning.

I've been doing moleskin with card on top, and more moleskin to cover the card. Then I tape over the whole thing, with the tape being larger than the bottom moleskin layer. So the tape covers more ear and yet isnt so stiff and heavy that he scratches it out, but holds the moleskin-card rig in place. So far only doing this at night and all the time on weekends.

I'm honestly not sure what else to do because of his daycare schedule. Going to see what the vet says too.

SIGH!

Warden - Sable GSD 4/23/2013
Blackjack - Black and tan GSD 4/23/11-6/1/2012
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 10:45 AM

It's so hard when you're either not with the dog all the time OR if he has to be in a crate at night. Whenever Trappe is in his crate, he comes out in the AM with insulation and tape and ears flying every which way, which cannot be helpful. Fortunately, he seldom has to sleep in the crate anymore. In thinking this through, I imagine that were the insulation and goal posts a more "fixed" arrangement (such that it didn't come down quite so frequently and easily), it might be as good as any other method for holding the ears up. I can get the whole contraption nicely in place with good ear set. The "glued in" plans seem good, but the whole glue thing makes me nervous, for fear I'll do it wrong and be stuck with whatever I did (no pun intended). I also worry about ear set: when I briefly tried the tape and card, his ear sort of went out to the side, which is not a good look. It seems I'd have to do the card/tape along with some sort of lateral support for proper set.

My email is lynn@lynnpritchard.com, and my cell is 804-241-3053. If you can send me your email, I'll send you a photo I found of a tape or moleskin/foam with Breathe Rite strips AND lateral support. I don't know how to send it through this website. Or, I can try harder to figure that out, too! Looks like a good plan, if I could make it work. I think that I'd set it up so that the strings could be tied in the middle to adjust ear set.

LORD....all of this is too complicated and stressful! And I can just see other dogs diving with glee for this contraption at doggy daycare. Can your "handlers" keep that from happening??

I'm attaching a photo of Trappe with his insulation and goalposts. Probably sent earlier, but just to be sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131215_105143_929.jpg
Views:	792
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	164610  

post #34 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 10:50 AM

I figured out how to attach the other photo. This is NOT Trappe but is from something I found while searching this site for earlier posts. It is my understanding that this person used the Breathe Rite strips sandwiched within the tape or foam or whatever it is. She (or he) also sandwiched the string as well. Seems very labor intensive but may work! Boy, if it falls out, another few hours shot to ****!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Shepherd with tape, Breathe Rite, and lateral support.jpg
Views:	1949
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	164634  
post #35 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Hello everyone,

I have to apologize first for the delay in replying to you all about the tape i use (you can all give me an ear bashing if you want )
Here is a pic of the tape I'm using: it's called "Medipore Soft Cloth Surgical Tape on Liner". It's a very soft, light tape that will not irritate your dog's ear but in some cases, you might want to remove some of the hair inside your dog's ear to make sure it sticks good enough.
Here's a pic of my dog today (without the tape ) and as you can see, her ear is perfectly standing nice and firm.
Also, we've been taking her to the river to swim, she's been completely soaked from head to toe and the weight of the water on the ear didn't make it drop down so we're really happy about it.
Please let me know if you need any more info and we'll try to reply ASAP.
Good luck all
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC07723.jpg
Views:	743
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	195577   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07625.jpg
Views:	738
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	195585  

Kailash, GSD, DOB-02/13/10
Enakai, GSD, DOB-04/07/12
Topaz, Birman, 04/17/10 - 07/16/11
Oilly, Street cat, 12/01/14 - 10/25/16
Luna, Grace & Nala, Street cats, DOB~05/01/11

A dog will never break your heart until it dies...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #36 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 01:43 PM

I just posted a reply without logging in, so you may see it or you may not. In any case, another woman on the site and I have been madly corresponding via email and phone and have tried a number of variations on your theme. We have generally been successful, and you sent us in the right direction. We actually ended up going the glue route, as we couldn't identify a tape which would hold consistently. We watched your video endlessly trying to identify the type of tape you were using. I ended up using foam pipe insulation cut into the appropriate length, wrapped with adhesive tape, and glued into the ears using a surgical glue. It worked well for the most part. Both ears are up, though one is weaker than the other, and both "bounce" at the tips when he runs. But, they're UP! My friend's dog had one ear down, and she has used your method to success and for the most part has the ear up. We'll keep you posted!
post #37 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 01:43 PM

And great news on your girl's ears being up!! Well done!
post #38 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Lynn so glad you found a way to get them stuck up and again i am really sorry for the late reply. So happy for your friend as well make sure you tell her to keep it in and never let the ear go back down for a min 6 / 7 months. We have just stopped using it now and that's been about 8 months never leaving it out and its bouncing around when she runs as well, but she's been swimming jumping in and out the water and it never went down once and that's been 2 / 3 times i've took her down the river and i think the more time its up the more stronger it will get. Congrats to you as well getting yours up. :-)

Kailash, GSD, DOB-02/13/10
Enakai, GSD, DOB-04/07/12
Topaz, Birman, 04/17/10 - 07/16/11
Oilly, Street cat, 12/01/14 - 10/25/16
Luna, Grace & Nala, Street cats, DOB~05/01/11

A dog will never break your heart until it dies...
post #39 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeynads View Post
Hello everyone,

I have to apologize first for the delay in replying to you all about the tape i use (you can all give me an ear bashing if you want )

Here is a pic of the tape I'm using: it's called "Medipore Soft Cloth Surgical Tape on Liner". It's a very soft, light tape that will not irritate your dog's ear but in some cases, you might want to remove some of the hair inside your dog's ear to make sure it sticks good enough.

Here's a pic of my dog today (without the tape ) and as you can see, her ear is perfectly standing nice and firm.

Also, we've been taking her to the river to swim, she's been completely soaked from head to toe and the weight of the water on the ear didn't make it drop down so we're really happy about it.

Please let me know if you need any more info and we'll try to reply ASAP.

Good luck all
How long total did it take taping? My pup is just 6 months and I'm using breathe right strips on his left ear for about a month now. It fell out last tues ear was up for 2 days then tip flopped again. So strips back in. He's still teething as well. Thanks!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #40 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 02:24 PM
Master Member

Hi Mickey, I'm Lynn's friend! Thanks for posting the tape info and for messaging it to me as well! It's been a long road with these ears! The cartilage in the "bad" ear is still soft compared to the other, but the inserts have helped because the ear stays up at night, when it used to crease badly and fall. Here are some pics for comparison! I used your method, and gluing. The last one was taken just yesterday, and you can see the crease is not visible sandy more! The ear is still soft, and I've since put the insert back in.

Cheap solution to fix broken ears in an ADULT GSDs.-imageuploadedbypg-free1396203661.125422.jpg

Cheap solution to fix broken ears in an ADULT GSDs.-imageuploadedbypg-free1396203711.784208.jpg

Cheap solution to fix broken ears in an ADULT GSDs.-imageuploadedbypg-free1396203740.074535.jpg

Cheap solution to fix broken ears in an ADULT GSDs.-imageuploadedbypg-free1396203780.807006.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Warden - Sable GSD 4/23/2013
Blackjack - Black and tan GSD 4/23/11-6/1/2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page