Cheap solution to fix broken ears in an ADULT GSDs. - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 10:16 AM

I just ordered some self-stick tape called Mefix (4" wide and 11' long roll), which I believe may be what the gentleman in France used in his video with the tape and card. Good luck with the moleskin! Which moleskin product exactly are you using?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 10:30 AM

By the way, I found this particular tape, Mefix Self-Adhesive Fabric Tape - 4" x 11 yds. - Molnlycke 311099, by talking to a medical supply business and describing the tape as best I found. She thought it might be this product, which comes in several different widths. I ordered it yesterday from Amazon.com. I'll let you know if it appears to be the right thing. Amazon says that it has been shipped.
post #23 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 10:47 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnPritchard View Post
By the way, I found this particular tape, Mefix Self-Adhesive Fabric Tape - 4" x 11 yds. - Molnlycke 311099, by talking to a medical supply business and describing the tape as best I found. She thought it might be this product, which comes in several different widths. I ordered it yesterday from Amazon.com. I'll let you know if it appears to be the right thing. Amazon says that it has been shipped.
Oh great! Very anxious to hear! The moleskin is just dr scholls, it comes in sheets so it's easy to cut. I got it bc I'm a runner and use it because it sticks well. Basically the stickiness is my biggest hurdle so far... Nothing seems to stay very long! The moleskin is ok but is a felt material on one side so taping the card to it doesn't seem to be working that well. Hoping you have good luck w the tape!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Warden - Sable GSD 4/23/2013
Blackjack - Black and tan GSD 4/23/11-6/1/2012
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 04:35 PM

I'll let you know for sure. I just grabbed some of the moleskin. Might we be able to "layer" the moleskin with the card in between? Maybe even with three layers of moleskin, stuck to itself? I'm going to see if that would work while I await the Mefix tape.
post #25 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 05:02 PM
Master Member

Quote:
I'll let you know for sure. I just grabbed some of the moleskin. Might we be able to "layer" the moleskin with the card in between? Maybe even with three layers of moleskin, stuck to itself? I'm going to see if that would work while I await the Mefix tape.
That might work?! Try it out and see if it's too stiff... I just changed the insert because the card fell off and the moleskin was lifting at the bottom a little... Plus I wanted to try making it smaller. But two layers of moleskin sounds like it might work, because the edges around the card would be flexible but the card would still hold the ear straight!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #26 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 04:35 PM

Well, that was a bust for me! The moleskin didn't stick to Trappe's ear! I expect to receive the Mefix tape this week, so I'll give it a try and let you know. Will take a photo, too. Trappe is still teething and will be 6 mo old tomorrow, so I'm still praying that I'm unnecessarily worried and that this will sort itself out.....but we'll see. Tired of worrying about ears!!

Good luck at your end!
post #27 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 04:39 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Well, that was a bust for me! The moleskin didn't stick to Trappe's ear! I expect to receive the Mefix tape this week, so I'll give it a try and let you know. Will take a photo, too. Trappe is still teething and will be 6 mo old tomorrow, so I'm still praying that I'm unnecessarily worried and that this will sort itself out.....but we'll see. Tired of worrying about ears!!

Good luck at your end!
You've got a lot more hope than I do... Mine is 8 months! Odd about the moleskin, mine sticks no problem as long as I clean the ear first!
Let me know about the tape!!

post #28 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 04:50 PM

Well, the man in France whose process we're chasing around, had success considerably after your 8 mo, so don't despair!
post #29 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 04:55 PM

And I don't know why my moleskin didn't stick. I cleaned his ear ( as directed by the video!). I wasn't sure about the set of his ear after I got one in, as the piece sort of made his ear stick out to the side a bit. So, I had decided to go back to my pipe insulation with the "goalposts", which keep everything in perfect alignment. When I got ready to remove the moleskin, it came right out very easily, so I don't think it would have held up. Did you use the moleskin "padding" or some other version? Maybe I had the wrong thing.
post #30 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 03:28 PM
Master Member

Quote:
And I don't know why my moleskin didn't stick. I cleaned his ear ( as directed by the video!). I wasn't sure about the set of his ear after I got one in, as the piece sort of made his ear stick out to the side a bit. So, I had decided to go back to my pipe insulation with the "goalposts", which keep everything in perfect alignment. When I got ready to remove the moleskin, it came right out very easily, so I don't think it would have held up. Did you use the moleskin "padding" or some other version? Maybe I had the wrong thing.
Yeah it was the moleskin padding I think... it feels like a felt. It's Meijer brand... you might not have Meijer where you are. Im really hoping the tape works for you, my pup also has a vet visit to see if there's anything else that would work better. The moleskin is ok but when I go to peel it off, some areas are really "stuck" and I dont want to irritate his ears. I peel off the support when changing it, when one area "pops" off or creases due to his crazy ear movements, or when he goes to daycare, because I need to talk to the owner about letting him play with it on.

SIGH! Such ear drama

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page