Cheap solution to fix broken ears in an ADULT GSDs. - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 11:43 AM

Thanks!

Thanks for this video! We'll have to try this. We've tried everything too. Our Odin had both ears up before teething, then both ears down while teething, then only one came up. Looks just like your girl - and he's a long coated too. We've shaved his ears, tried breath right, we've done Tee pee method (which has worked for him, but his ear falls down in 1-2 days after). Even cardboard glued into his ear. We think he smooshed it while sleeping since he ALWAYS sleeps on his left side. He's 8 mo. right now - and we've been trying off and on since 6 mo. My husband, trainers, friends are adament that we don't mess with him anymore. It's "character". He's from a 30yr. old show breeder...and looks like a mutt (especially since he's long coated) at the end of the day I don't really care because he is a goof and it fit him, but still - he just looks so good when both are up and alert.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (39).jpg
Views:	1400
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	160242   Click image for larger version

Name:	odie.jpg
Views:	1615
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	160250   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5771[1].jpg
Views:	1389
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	160258  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 11:54 AM

Ears!

Harriet, he's ADORABLE! But, I'd be right with you in wanting that ear up. I pray that our puppy's will be okay. He'll be 6 months on the 13th of this month. We're doing the pipe insulation and tape route from the Leerburg site, and it appears to be helping. But, he knocks it all down at night and then his ears tend to be back down. So stressful. I'll bet that you've still go a real shot at 8 months. I'm going to try the method from the video if we don't have good result by 6.5 months, I think.

I attached a photo of our current efforts. Trappe is a large pup (69 lbs at 5.5 months) with huge, heavy, soft ears.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131215_105143_929.jpg
Views:	1354
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	160266  
post #13 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 12:02 PM
Master Member

Will look for the supplies for this in the next few days... We've been putting strips in the ear at night because it falls when he's resting, tired, or asleep and the strips keep the ear up all night long but don't seem to flatten the crease enough to make a difference the next day. Been doing this for a few weeks and his ear seems floppier than ever! It also flops all around when he walks and plays... It's just so soft. :-(

Cheap solution to fix broken ears in an ADULT GSDs.-imageuploadedbypg-free1389113829.534101.jpg

Cheap solution to fix broken ears in an ADULT GSDs.-imageuploadedbypg-free1389113925.884941.jpg

Cheap solution to fix broken ears in an ADULT GSDs.-imageuploadedbypg-free1389113941.651667.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Warden - Sable GSD 4/23/2013
Blackjack - Black and tan GSD 4/23/11-6/1/2012
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 12:11 PM

It's so hard to know what's going to happen! How old is your pup? SO cute!
post #15 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 12:20 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnPritchard View Post
It's so hard to know what's going to happen! How old is your pup? SO cute!
He is a little over 8 months! A sweet and cute boy but just so handsome with standing ears! I'm hoping if this method flattens the crease enough and stays in long enough, the ear can start to harden in the "up" position. When I go to put the strips in, he sits calmly but always folds his ear back, thus it's hard for me flatten the crease completely.

Never gone through this much trouble for ears before!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 01:09 PM

It sounds a though you may need to pull out the stops and do everything you can at this point, since I've seen "7-8 months" as the outside time for having success. However, the person with the video seems to have achieved success well after that time. I'm totally with you....we have to get these ears right; they're too handsome to have floppy ears. Trappe is my fourth shepherd, and we've never had "ear issues" before. Nothing is ever easy, is it?? Have you read the ear article on the Leerburg.com site? It has some good information, and that's where I got the pipe insulation and surgical tape method. Breathe Rite wasn't even close: ears too heavy. Anyway, I'm going to try the video method if my current efforts don't work. He typically gets his ears mostly up for an entire day but then either one or both drops again.
post #17 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Hi everyone,
Well we tried the pipe insulation and tape trick but it seemed to be really bugging and irritating for our girl. She would not leave it alone and kept on pulling it off and we also tried the nose strips but she got a rash from them. With the technic of the card and medical tape, it seems like it never irritated our girl's ear and it's not bugging her neither or make her scratch her hear since it's quite light and very easy to remove yet it keeps the ear straight and nice. Also it's very discrete.
It's taken a while to get the ear up on our girl and the crease to completely disappear. I've been keeping the card and tape in for 2 days max or if i see it's coming apart a bit i'll change it and i've done this for a few months non stop. Also try a thicker and wider bit of card for the first few weeks or if your dog's ears are heavy then move to a thinner piece after a month min. Make sure that you keep the crease straight. The card REALLY needs to stay in there all the time, take it off only to change it and put a new one straight away. Try not to let the ear fall back down (pre-make the change). With our girl we thought it was not going to work at first as after about 2 weeks we left it out to see how it was looking. It was staying up for about 2 / 3 hours then falling down, so i started to read up a bit about cartilage and healing times, from what i read cartilages take a real long time to heal due to having a deprived blood supply, which means that nutrients that help in healing are not readily obtainable. So once i read that, i was more determined to keep at it and get her ear up. It's been about 4-5 months I've been doing it and i am still doing it now even though the ear never falls down when i remove the card (even after a day without the tape) and the deep crease has completely gone. I keep on doing it because i want to make sure its healed up really good, just like a leg break or arm you have to keep it in place for a prolonged period for it to work.
Really really hope which ever technic you try, it works for you
post #18 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 05:39 PM

So cute. it's those **** BIG ears!! Odin is the same. Just huge ears + hair. It was a travesty for me to cut a lot of his hair off around his ear. My breeder was happy, but I was sobbing. I like his fluffy, crimpy hair around his ears.
post #19 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 04:54 PM

Mickey, you're wonderful! What would we do without help from our online friends? Many, many thanks for the additional information and your terrific encouragement. I continue to think that Trappe's ears may yet just be coming up on their own, but I don't dare take the chance and miss our window for getting them right. I think that I'll make up a stack of the cards in advance and have them at the ready.

What was the brand/width of the tape you used in the video?

Thanks!!
post #20 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 09:50 AM
Master Member

Here's Warden's ear using this fix. It's been in since last night. Will use this method for the next few months and go from there... Yesterday his ear would hardly stand!

Cheap solution to fix broken ears in an ADULT GSDs.-imageuploadedbypg-free1389451661.946312.jpg

Cheap solution to fix broken ears in an ADULT GSDs.-imageuploadedbypg-free1389451678.164536.jpg

Cheap solution to fix broken ears in an ADULT GSDs.-imageuploadedbypg-free1389451598.300521.jpg

I wasn't able to find the tape in the video though, even after contacting 3M (which looked like the brand) so I used moleskin. So far it's holding.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page