German Shepherds Forum banner

9 month old female gsd ears doesnt stand all the time? Is this normal?

5K views 28 replies 9 participants last post by  OnyxGSD 
#1 ·
I have a female gsd 9 months old. Her ears do not remain erect all the time instead they lean sideways in erect position or drop backwards sometimes. Is this normal? Is it necessary for gsd ears to be straight up all the time?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum! Just go back thru other posts in this 'Ears Up' Section to get hints and tips. She's definitely getting a bit older so you may have to step in, but read thru the past posts to be sure.

:)

#3 ·
I would be helping the ears at this point. By 9 months, the ears should be standing without issue. If you can catch it prior to a year, you can definitely get them up. But it will take taping or gluing and sooner than later. The sooner you get on it, the better your chances will be:) Best of luck!

#4 ·
Her ears do not remain erect all the time instead they lean sideways in erect position or drop backwards sometimes. Is this normal?
It sounds like they are stiff, and just moving to different positions. Do you have the impression that she is in control of this, or do they just flop?

I couldn't find a better chart about body language and ears than this one in a short time...

#11 · (Edited)
That doesn't look to me like a reason to tape the ears. Working the jaw muscles more (e.g. chewing) might help give the dog more control. Or it might not.

We have had a pure-bred and titled GSD that could do that to his ears when he was relaxed, or when you were petting the top of his head. We called that position "donkey ears" and teasingly called him Eeyore when he did it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.