German Shepherds Forum banner

Help with my Doberman..

5K views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  GusGus 
#1 ·
So we have been taping his ears for several weeks now and when we took the tape off they were soft but standing. Then him and Gus started playing roughly which we try to stop asap til his ears are up. Well, we took the tape off and one of them just completely limped over.

What can we do now? Or will it ever stand by itself.

#7 ·
We got our dobermans ears cut to make them stand up straight, because they are naturally floppy. They won't stand with surgery alone so you have to tape them up in the position you want them.

#13 ·
Well if it's only been a month since the crop was done I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep taping them. I read it can take months for some. That's one of the reasons I couldn't get a Dobie... taping for so long just sounds so tedious and I don't like the natural look as much.

#14 ·
It is a tad obnoxious, but to actually own a Doberman its worth it. I just really want his ears to stand, plus Vitamin C is probably good for him anyway. I heard it can help with the prevention of pano.

#18 ·
If he is four months old I'm not surprised the ears aren't standing. You will likely be tapping until he is at least 8 months old. Some people have to tape until after a year. One month post surgery is not enough time for the ears to stand for good unless you got a pit bull length crop.

#20 ·
I think I had to tape my Dobe's ears until she was 7-8 months old. I took them down every few days and re-taped them. She was amazingly good about it, which was a bonus. :)

Sent from Petguide.com App

#21 ·
#22 ·
I've been creeping around there for a while now and reading all I can about ears. Lol. My fiance has had two prior dobermans and hes only taped the ears for about a month..he said there's no way he would tape for much longer. Sigh. Men are stubborn sometimes. That's why I was wondering.

#27 ·
Gorgeous but the tips need work. A month is VERY short for posting especially since it was a late crop, keep at it though :) IMO I would want it to be PERFECT so I would post as long as needed.

BTW, dobermans my favorite breed :)

#29 ·
Do you have posts in the ears?Years ago I had two Dobie pups of mine ears cropped and I used the tubes that tampons come in as posts I used the cardboard type . I changed them when they got rough looking and taped then I taped across the top from ear to ear so they stood together.It did not take a year for them to stand! Their ears turned out beautiful!

Sent from Petguide.com App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.