Ears go up when playing or on a walk. Hope? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 10:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ears go up when playing or on a walk. Hope?

We're quickly nearing the 6 month mark and I really don't want to tape our girl's ears. They are flopped flying nun style when she's hanging around the house or sleeping but go up randomly throughout the day (usually one or the other) and both stand during walks or during intense playing.

I know the rule is to start taping at 6 months but she's not done teething yet. I'll probably contact the breeder at the 6 month mark but are her ears fully standing randomly during the day and on walks a good sign that they'll probably come up in time? Or are they just standing because of the teething process and will need help?
PorkandBeans is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

sounds like they are on their way up! give it time. Some don't stand up til 8 or 9 months. Some even longer. I don't believe in taping ears. Seems barbaric to me.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My boys ears didn't stand fully till he was 9 months old. They did flop around some, but normally just hound dogged it. I did try helping them stand, but I don't think it did any good as they'd just fall when removed. I finally gave up and figured I had what I had. Then one morning I pulled him out of his kennel and they were both up!
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 12:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWHillbilly View Post
sounds like they are on their way up! give it time. Some don't stand up til 8 or 9 months. Some even longer. I don't believe in taping ears. Seems barbaric to me.
I don't think taping/gluing is even an option for us honestly. She is NOT the type of puppy that would stay still long enough for us to do anything like that and even if she did I guarantee she would destroy our work within minutes afterwards.

It's just frustrating seeing them up at times during the day and then flop back down. They're pretty big ears so I'm not sure of our chances.

Bad picture but you can see how large her ears are...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
My boys ears didn't stand fully till he was 9 months old. They did flop around some, but normally just hound dogged it. I did try helping them stand, but I don't think it did any good as they'd just fall when removed. I finally gave up and figured I had what I had. Then one morning I pulled him out of his kennel and they were both up!
I would love to just roll over one morning and see her ears standing full up in her crate. I have a feeling that IF they ever come up for good it's going to be a very gradual process.

Last edited by PorkandBeans; 02-13-2013 at 01:04 PM.
PorkandBeans is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.