Crate training and ears up? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2012, 09:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Crate training and ears up?

Our breeder stated that if a puppy is kept in a crate during the day, night, or both it can affect their ears going up. She said that dogs don't put their ears up often in a crate so if they spend time in a crate while were at work or while sleeping at night it can cause issues? Any thoughts?

If this is true we'll need to come up with an alternative restricted area with no top at least while we are going during the day.
MN GSD Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 09:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN GSD Fan View Post
Our breeder stated that if a puppy is kept in a crate during the day, night, or both it can affect their ears going up. She said that dogs don't put their ears up often in a crate so if they spend time in a crate while were at work or while sleeping at night it can cause issues? Any thoughts?

If this is true we'll need to come up with an alternative restricted area with no top at least while we are going during the day.

Both my boys ears were down when I got him and now their both up and he is crated for the most part. What did I do? I keep him chewing on something constantly. If we're not training, walking, playing or sleeping (he sleeps more than me obviously), I have something in his mouth that he wants to chew on... worked for me... ymmv. Hope that helps!
Old 12-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thats good to hear. Yes we are trying to keep him chewing as well. We were just worried because we planned to crate him while we were gone and at night.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

When we leave and are asleep the dogs crated, never affected her ears going up. Had her toys in their with her so she chewd ( dont know if that really affected it or not) but Iv never had an issue with ears. My one shepherd had floppy/weak ears, but that was most likely genetic because she was prone to oth.er ear problems
TommyB681 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 06:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

i don't think what your breeder said has any merit. people
wouldn't crate if a crate affected the ears.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 10:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

If a dog sleeps anywhere and they have their ears wedged up against something it can prolong the standing up process crates included!
So the breeder was not wrong, but making sure they have plenty to chew on, enough room to sit, stand or lay down without ears being crammed up against a crate wall is important.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
VanBuren shepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 12:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanBuren shepherds View Post
If a dog sleeps anywhere and they have their ears wedged up against something it can prolong the standing up process crates included!
So the breeder was not wrong, but making sure they have plenty to chew on, enough room to sit, stand or lay down without ears being crammed up against a crate wall is important.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
I have to agree with this, if I see my boy's ears in a crammed or awkward position i make sure to fix them, even if I disturb his nap lol. Not much you can do if your not home though.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yes we have plenty for him to chew on and his crate is "HUGE" so he has tons of room to stand and move around as much as he wants. His crate is dang near as long as our bed so unless he becomes a giant he'll be fine. Our female GSD is extremely tall and has no problem in it.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

That may be why my 9 week old puppy's ears came up at 8 weeks because of the constant chewing. That is literally all he wants to do is chew. We have given him all sorts of toys and bones and he goes to town on them. He loves to play tug of war and fetching also. He is in an extra large crate during the work day with chew toys and in a large pop up dog tent at night by my bed. Both of his ears actually came up during the day while he was crated.
Jericho2007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.