So the Ears Up?????? forum has terrified me. - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #41 (permalink)

Default So the Ears Up?????? forum has terrified me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkandBeans View Post
Were the ears of that dog ever up at any point? Even for a short while? Or were they always floppy?

Because my girl's ears do come up but only when she's on walks or doing some high energy playing like being chased around the yard. The tops of them are a bit wobbly but they do stay up on their own. It's just the rest of the time when she's relaxed where only one is up or both are completely flopped.

So I don't know if it's a waiting game and they'll eventually go up more and more often til they've up for good or if she just won't have strong enough cartilage to ever make them stand all the time.
Yes, the ears went up on there own and came back down during the teething process. They only came up occasionally after that, but they were always weak and stayed most of the time in the flying nun position. He had tall thin Showline ears.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
VanBuren shepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanBuren shepherds View Post
Yes, the ears went up on there own and came back down during the teething process. They only came up occasionally after that, but they were always weak and stayed most of the time in the flying nun position. He had tall thin Showline ears.
Ah, so the whole "If they ever come up they'll eventually go up again" rule is just another myth?

That's too bad because our pup's ears feel weak and are in the flying nun position most of the time too.
PorkandBeans is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Ah, so the whole "If they ever come up they'll eventually go up again" rule is just another myth?

That's too bad because our pup's ears feel weak and are in the flying nun position most of the time too.
It really depends on the situation. Other dogs pulling on the ears, the ear can be damaged by being wedged into a crate, etc. the one I have now I've been working with for about 3 months and no real progress.
But at least I have found a method of gluing that works for me and him. It last for weeks, its not cumbersome, and his ears look great with them glued. They have a natural appearance to them. He's 10 months now I'm just hoping they will come up late. His went up and down quite a few times before and after teething, but are at Least 90% of the time down at the moment.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:03 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanBuren shepherds View Post
It really depends on the situation. Other dogs pulling on the ears, the ear can be damaged by being wedged into a crate, etc. the one I have now I've been working with for about 3 months and no real progress.
But at least I have found a method of gluing that works for me and him. It last for weeks, its not cumbersome, and his ears look great with them glued. They have a natural appearance to them. He's 10 months now I'm just hoping they will come up late. His went up and down quite a few times before and after teething, but are at Least 90% of the time down at the moment.
Well she does smash her head against walls or the corner of her crate when she sleeps sometimes but it's impossible to watch her 24/7 since I have to go to work and sleep. If that can really damage the ears then I had no idea this breed was so sensitive and prone to damaged ears.

I'll keep hope that they'll stand on their own but at this point I don't see it happening. Her ears are big and flimsy. Two things that really count against her at this point.

I told myself I wouldn't put her through any gluing or taping because it seems kind of cruel plus I don't think there's any way she won't screw with them. But I'll wait a couple more months and see what we're dealing with then.
PorkandBeans is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 05:12 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Well she does smash her head against walls or the corner of her crate when she sleeps sometimes but it's impossible to watch her 24/7 since I have to go to work and sleep. If that can really damage the ears then I had no idea this breed was so sensitive and prone to damaged ears.

I'll keep hope that they'll stand on their own but at this point I don't see it happening. Her ears are big and flimsy. Two things that really count against her at this point.

I told myself I wouldn't put her through any gluing or taping because it seems kind of cruel plus I don't think there's any way she won't screw with them. But I'll wait a couple more months and see what we're dealing with then.
Understood completely! Not every German shepherd will have this problem, but many of them do. Taping is something every professional breeder will tell you do if the ears are not standing up by six months. But I agree with waiting. It's always best to let them do it on their own. Let me guess she is a black and red West German Show line? If she is it will take a little longer for her ears because of the size of them. Taping early can do damage that would have never taken place if the ears were left alone, but not assisting them early enough can cause a crease to form that will never be able to be corrected.
What ever turns out just make sure you love that girl for what she is. One of the best breeds a person can own. Looks don't make for a great GSD. Character, temperament, and health are the most important. Great looks just comes naturally with a GSD. Even one with floppy ears!

Old 02-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #46 (permalink)

Hi my pup Max is 7 1/2 months old and one ear comes and goes, one day up one day the tip is down, he also has pano and eats raw food he is a long coat So the Ears Up?????? forum has terrified me.-imageuploadedbypg-free1359756085.203371.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Poppinfizz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 06:13 PM   #47 (permalink)

Sorry hit send too soon, what I was wondering is does the fact that he has pano affect his ears at all? And what about diet, we had GSD long time ago but they were both adults never had a puppy GSD and we also have a 10 year old golden , what a difference in their breeds, Max is so smart, our golden is a sweetheart but not real smart just wants pets and food... Max is on exercise restriction because of his pano so he is bored and gets into so much trouble, keeps me on my toes, so glad we have him

Poppinfizz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2013, 11:49 PM   #48 (permalink)

I understand your concern, but that ear gives him some character and being a long haired GSD it looks pretty cool and to be honest it's not as bad as I've seen and those ears came up so don't give up!!!!

Good luck!

tacticalseries is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2013, 10:41 AM   #49 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Is it really this common for adult GSDs to have ears that never stand?

I had no idea this breed needed so much help to get their ears up, or the fact that there's a very real possibility they'll never come up at all. Now I'm concerned because our 3 month old who is just starting to teethe still has floppy ears that haven't even shown a hint of wanting to stand since we got her. I really don't want her to have to put up with any taping/gluing so I plan to let things just run their course.

But now I freak when I see her sleeping on her back with her ears smashed against the floor (which I used to laugh at, now I panic) or when people pet her head thinking her ear progression is constantly being set back. I think I need to stop reading this particular forum.
My girls didn't stand til almost 5 months!So the Ears Up?????? forum has terrified me.-imageuploadedbypg-free1364823678.386218.jpg

EmeryGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.