So the Ears Up?????? forum has terrified me. - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #31 (permalink)

[QUOTE=PorkandBeans;2651672]Is it really this common for adult GSDs to have ears that never stand?

I had no idea this breed needed so much help to get their ears up, or the fact that there's a very real possibility they'll never come up at all. QUOTE]

I think what is really very common is puppy owners worrying about those ears coming up. LOL I was one of those worried puppy owners, her ears didn't stand until late, 5 to 6 months, almost the cut off point where people said I could worry, LOL. I don't think it's real common for them not to stand at all. Some very good advice from other posters, I really don't have any added advice. As was already mentioned in a previous post, I was told that if they stand ever, then go down, the likely hood of them standing again is excellent. I would bet if you search the threads on puppy ears on this board near 100% have happy endings. Enjoy this adorable puppy stage!
GSD2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 04:35 PM   #32 (permalink)

Default Ears....GSD Lovers Nightmare

Hi, i have suffered from this nightmare...day in and day out round the clock i would check on junior if he had made his ear up....i started to get sick. A friend asked me to check on rest of the liter? OK all had done their job less another one..to my horror a week later he also stood his ears...then i was told to make Junior drink egg in Milk after every 2 days...surprisingly..within 4 days his ear was up it was 8th week perhaps or more
Best of luck to those who suffer from this trauma
Lazawal09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 10:51 PM   #33 (permalink)

It is possible for them not too stand up , some say if they haven't after 5 months old then there's a greater chance they won't come up entirely. Taping and gluing I hear alot of, its not as bad as it sounds, try tape first.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
tacticalseries is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 04:38 PM   #34 (permalink)

So at 4 months old we're seeing some progress. Over the past couple weeks the ear dance has been in full swing. We've seen just about every stage of it and the most exciting part is that sometimes they stand all the way up, but its only on walks or intense play time. I know we're not out of the woods yet but it's nice to see some progress and gives me a bit more hope that they'll eventually stand at all times.

This is from our walk today. She looks like a completely different dog when they're up.

PorkandBeans is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 05:28 PM   #35 (permalink)

My guy was weird as his were up at 5 weeks. I unfortunately got him at not even 4 weeks old, and he was very sick. I put him on raw and magically, they were up at 5 weeks lol. His left one went floppy for about 2 days and then never again.

Point being, ALL DOGS ARE DIFFERENT. Although I heard feeding raw helps? Maybe it's just another ear rumor though lol.
sjackson310 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 12:39 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkandBeans View Post

So if her ears stand while on a walk (like in the pic above) but are floppy or combed over when she's at home/relaxed is there a decent chance they'll stand for good at some point?
Old 01-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #37 (permalink)

So we're nearing 4.5 months and one ear or the other will keep going up randomly throughout the day but are still down most of the time. It seems like the only time we can get them both to stand is on walks.

I refuse to tape/glue so at this point I'm just expecting them to pretty much remain floppy. And I'll just have to get used to people asking what mix she is.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:42 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkandBeans View Post
So we're nearing 4.5 months and one ear or the other will keep going up randomly throughout the day but are still down most of the time. It seems like the only time we can get them both to stand is on walks.

I refuse to tape/glue so at this point I'm just expecting them to pretty much remain floppy. And I'll just have to get used to people asking what mix she is.
I would not worry about it. Reno (who has passed over to the summerland) her ears remained floppy until she turned 8-9 months old. She had one ear that would always be floppy at times and it finally straightened out when she turned 1 year and 4-6 months old. Kaylee's ears (she is almost 9 months old) are up majority of the time but they have their floppy moments when she is relaxed. When she was 4-6 months they were both really floppy, lol. She eventually grew into them and seem pretty straight and up right now.
KayleeGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #39 (permalink)

Default So the Ears Up?????? forum has terrified me.

Wait until she is done teething. The teething process will almost always bring out the floppy ears. When she is done and you don't see any progress don't wait to long before you try to assist her. Some GSD ears come up on their own as late as a year, but some will never come up. I have had one that I waited to long to assist, and at they never came up. If its done right the dog won't even know its in the ear. Usually a GSD with an ear infection or irritated ears will not stand completely erect either, but you should be able to tell the difference between that and an ear that just simply has weak cartilage. Hope you the best!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
VanBuren shepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 12:27 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanBuren shepherds View Post
Wait until she is done teething. The teething process will almost always bring out the floppy ears. When she is done and you don't see any progress don't wait to long before you try to assist her. Some GSD ears come up on their own as late as a year, but some will never come up. I have had one that I waited to long to assist, and at they never came up. If its done right the dog won't even know its in the ear. Usually a GSD with an ear infection or irritated ears will not stand completely erect either, but you should be able to tell the difference between that and an ear that just simply has weak cartilage. Hope you the best!
Were the ears of that dog ever up at any point? Even for a short while? Or were they always floppy?

Because my girl's ears do come up but only when she's on walks or doing some high energy playing like being chased around the yard. The tops of them are a bit wobbly but they do stay up on their own. It's just the rest of the time when she's relaxed where only one is up or both are completely flopped.

So I don't know if it's a waiting game and they'll eventually go up more and more often til they've up for good or if she just won't have strong enough cartilage to ever make them stand all the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.