Any hope for these ears. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Any hope for these ears.

Nala is nine months next week. I am starting to lose all hope. Just retaped yesterday. They have been taped or glued with forms since mid September.
Attached Thumbnails
Any hope for these ears.-image.jpg  
m1953 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 05:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm sorry I can't help, but I just wanted to say that she is probably the cutest floppy eared girl I have ever seen.
Boaz von der Quellwasser - little man in training!

http://vomfeuergarten.weebly.com/
GatorDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 06:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDog View Post
I'm sorry I can't help, but I just wanted to say that she is probably the cutest floppy eared girl I have ever seen.
Thanks
Old 12-09-2012, 06:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Don't give up! Sometimes it takes up to a year or longer for the ears to come up all the way. I have a male with the exact same problem. Persistence is the key, but when they are past 7 months it is a lot harder. Maybe she's just a late developer. If not and the ears stay like that, you still have a very beautiful German Shepherd. I just glued my pups ears again today. It's time consuming and frustrating at times, but if it works I will be very pleased. I have had a GSD who's ears came up past nine months and they were very strong ears after that. Yes, I did glue them also. It does work sometimes! Were her ears ever up? If so they will most Likely come up again.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
VanBuren shepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 08:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanBuren shepherds View Post
Don't give up! Sometimes it takes up to a year or longer for the ears to come up all the way. I have a male with the exact same problem. Persistence is the key, but when they are past 7 months it is a lot harder. Maybe she's just a late developer. If not and the ears stay like that, you still have a very beautiful German Shepherd. I just glued my pups ears again today. It's time consuming and frustrating at times, but if it works I will be very pleased. I have had a GSD who's ears came up past nine months and they were very strong ears after that. Yes, I did glue them also. It does work sometimes! Were her ears ever up? If so they will most Likely come up again.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Thanks very much. I appreciate the input. They have been up only for very brief times and rarely both at the same time. They have either had the glue in ear forms or taped since just before she was six months old in September.. When the forms or tape came undone they would stay up a few days and flop again. They where just retaped yesterday after falling out earlier in the week.

Last edited by m1953; 12-09-2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Any hope for these ears.-imageuploadedbypg-free1355112127.309292.jpg
Here's a picture of my 8 month old male. Foam inserts glued in the ear. I'm having the same trouble you are right now. When the ears come down they look just like your picture. The problem with mine is I have an 8 month old female also and they both pull on each others ears. I think I might have to separate them until the ears are strong enough to stand with out assistance. He's a Showline from west Germany and she's a working line from Czech blood lines. Two different types of ears and both having trouble due too the excessive playing with the ears.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

He is a great looking dog. I will keep Nala's taped up for a few more months if needed. The tape doesn't seem to bother her. I may order another set of forms because they are easier to glue in than taping. I am just frustrated because I paid show quality prices for Nala. Will keep my fingers crossed for you. Let me know how it goes and I will do the same.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Will do!
Old 12-09-2012, 11:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

If you paid show quality prices, your breeder should have had an ear guarantee.
FirstTimeGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 11:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

She is only 9 months not even past a year, and like you said they were up before and they stood up for a few days after taping, Im 95% they will be up, just make sure you are doing the taping/gluing correctely, because if you aren't you can do more damage than good, my pup is 7 months and her ears went down after spay now I am in the same boat as you are. They come up very rarely but I am pretty sure that if you do the taping right and she has the right genes your dog will be fine. I was just at the dog park yesterday and 2 people told me that their GSD's ears came up around 1 year old so you have a lot of hope. She is VERY pretty. Good luck.
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.