Any hope for these ears. - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2012, 12:29 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie87 View Post
They will be up you will see!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
. Thanks
m1953 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 03:11 AM   #32 (permalink)

Okay, so I finally tried using moleskin glued into the ears for the first time. It seems to be the most comfortable thing I've ever used to assist with the ears, and without really paying attention you would not even notice they were in there. They seem to hold up real well also. They don't fall apart like pipe insulation does. Here is what I did:
1) Purchased mole skin with adhesive backing from a pharmacy.
2) Purchased Torbot skin bond offline.
3) Purchased large breathe right strips from a pharmacy.
4) I cleaned out the ears real well with an ear cleaning solution. Inspected the ears for any irritations or infections and allowed ears to dry completly.
5) I then cut the moleskin to the shape of the inside of the ear. Kind of like a teardrop. Making sure it was small enough to have 1/4" all around the moleskin.
6) Next I removed the backing off the mole skin and applied a thin layer of Torbot to it. Allowed the glue to dry for about a minute.
7) I had an assistant hold the ear open to where I could easily fit the moleskin into the ear as centered best I could... making sure it was covering the crease in the bottom of the ear.
8) I inspected the moleskin for any loose spots and touched up the edges with Torbot to make sure it was secure.
9) Last I decided where the weakest parts of the ear was and I placed the breathe right strips over it vertically to help the ear stand correct. I ended up using two strips per ear and they stick really well to the moleskin.

I noticed it still allows for a full range of motion of the ears and when they are erect they are perfect and not heavy like with pipe insulation. It also does not restrict any blood flow or have to be removed so the ears can breathe like with taping the ears.
I thought I would pass this along so you could try it. Even if the ears never stand perfectly on their own this is a technique that can assist them to be erect without being cumbersome. They have been in the ears for four days now with no signs of coming loose.

VanBuren shepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 08:38 PM   #33 (permalink)

Here is my Bella at almost 9 months.

I wish they were perfectly straight.....maybe as her head widens a bit it will correct itself.

Any hope for these ears.-imageuploadedbypg-free1358300296.768505.jpg

0pusX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 09:39 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0pusX View Post
Here is my Bella at almost 9 months.

I wish they were perfectly straight.....maybe as her head widens a bit it will correct itself.

Attachment 28378

I really think they will. She is really adorable
m1953 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 11:12 PM   #35 (permalink)

My pup is 14 weeks. One ear has been up for a week. The other flops. When should I consider taping that 2nd ear?

Haggardphunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 12:06 AM   #36 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggardphunk View Post
My pup is 14 weeks. One ear has been up for a week. The other flops. When should I consider taping that 2nd ear?

Nope, not until at least 5 months old, research the proper way of taping
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 04:56 AM   #37 (permalink)

Everyone once in awhile it'll go up for a few minutes at a time. I think it will go upon its own

Haggardphunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 10:55 PM   #38 (permalink)

Default Any hope for these ears.

Moleskin works perfectly!Any hope for these ears.-imageuploadedbypg-free1360468526.183770.jpg
Any hope for these ears.-imageuploadedbypg-free1360468542.211200.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
VanBuren shepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 12:17 AM   #39 (permalink)
Crowned Member

What I have heard is, if they have been up but come down they Are likely to go up and stay up eventually.
Bianca's ears apparently bounced around, I didn't own her as a puppy but her prev owner sent photos and her ears went through all the goofy positions (except teepee, at least not in the photos). I had one when she was a year old where she had one up and one down. When I got her as an adult she had both up and strong (and hers were very tall/big ears).

Last edited by Chicagocanine; 02-10-2013 at 12:23 AM.
Chicagocanine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #40 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanBuren shepherds View Post
Okay, so I finally tried using moleskin glued into the ears for the first time. It seems to be the most comfortable thing I've ever used to assist with the ears, and without really paying attention you would not even notice they were in there. They seem to hold up real well also. They don't fall apart like pipe insulation does. Here is what I did:
1) Purchased mole skin with adhesive backing from a pharmacy.
2) Purchased Torbot skin bond offline.
3) Purchased large breathe right strips from a pharmacy.
4) I cleaned out the ears real well with an ear cleaning solution. Inspected the ears for any irritations or infections and allowed ears to dry completly.
5) I then cut the moleskin to the shape of the inside of the ear. Kind of like a teardrop. Making sure it was small enough to have 1/4" all around the moleskin.
6) Next I removed the backing off the mole skin and applied a thin layer of Torbot to it. Allowed the glue to dry for about a minute.
7) I had an assistant hold the ear open to where I could easily fit the moleskin into the ear as centered best I could... making sure it was covering the crease in the bottom of the ear.
8) I inspected the moleskin for any loose spots and touched up the edges with Torbot to make sure it was secure.
9) Last I decided where the weakest parts of the ear was and I placed the breathe right strips over it vertically to help the ear stand correct. I ended up using two strips per ear and they stick really well to the moleskin.

I noticed it still allows for a full range of motion of the ears and when they are erect they are perfect and not heavy like with pipe insulation. It also does not restrict any blood flow or have to be removed so the ears can breathe like with taping the ears.
I thought I would pass this along so you could try it. Even if the ears never stand perfectly on their own this is a technique that can assist them to be erect without being cumbersome. They have been in the ears for four days now with no signs of coming loose.

This is the correct way....i had to do this to one of mine and it worked perfectly. Good luck!
Kassie 6/1/08 kitty
Zorro VomTraumhof-1/3/11-gsd,Ob101,CGC,RN,RA
Ryker 2/20/10-gsd "Poseidon VomTraumhof"
VP5 3-6 mo. confm.VP16-9 mo.confrm.
AKC S.T.A.R pup,Obed.101, CGC.
koda00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.