Any hope for these ears. - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 11:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

Cutie! Has your breeder offered support in any form? Many will tape/glue for you.
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 11:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Try bully sticks, raw trachea, ligament, anything with lots of chondroitin and cartilage to help the ears. But I think these ears will not go up. I have said it before, but if you paid for show pup, you should have a conversation with the breeder about the condition of her ears. She cannot show or breed with those ears.
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 12:05 AM   #13 (permalink)

My contact says I can return her for another pup, but that is never going to happen. I couldn't return her in a million years. I contacted him a few times, and he told me don't worry they will go up.
The trainer I use who was a breeder for many years is taping them for me so I am fairly confident in her that she knows what she is doing..
Thanks everyone for your input.
m1953 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 12:12 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbchottu View Post
Try bully sticks, raw trachea, ligament, anything with lots of chondroitin and cartilage to help the ears. But I think these ears will not go up. I have said it before, but if you paid for show pup, you should have a conversation with the breeder about the condition of her ears. She cannot show or breed with those ears.
She chews one to two 12 inch bully sticks a day. Gets gelatin, glucosamean (sp), fish oil, a can of sardines a day for extra calcium.
I finally got a response from the breeder who says he will give me a partial refund if not up by a year old since I don't want to return her for another pup. Will see if he carries through with this but I am still trying to hang on to some hope they will go up.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:21 AM   #15 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1953 View Post
She chews one to two 12 inch bully sticks a day. Gets gelatin, glucosamean (sp), fish oil, a can of sardines a day for extra calcium.
I finally got a response from the breeder who says he will give me a partial refund if not up by a year old since I don't want to return her for another pup. Will see if he carries through with this but I am still trying to hang on to some hope they will go up.
Sounds like you are doing everything you can.

Just some more things for you to consider, which I came upon my research when my pup was younger (6 months), and had a floppy tip:

-take dog to new and exciting places that stimulate the ears to stand up. I know when I walk by a bush with singing birds, my dog is tilting her head and listening intently

-raw knuckle bones for some variety of chewing. I find my dog has to work harder on these than the bully sticks

-extra large crate. I've deducted that my floppy tip was due to the crate height. So i got a super large one that doesn't restrict her in any way.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:22 AM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I will be very surprised if they go up - they really do seem to be lacking in cartilage and strength. Glad to hear about your refund - hope they follow through
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 12:43 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbchottu View Post
I will be very surprised if they go up - they really do seem to be lacking in cartilage and strength. Glad to hear about your refund - hope they follow through
Yea deep down I feel the same way but will hold on for that little bit of hope till she one year old . In any case she is still my dog and best bud. Ears up or not.

Again thanks too everyone for taking the time to look and for your suggestions
Old 12-10-2012, 01:38 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master Member

I really do hope the trainer knows the proper way of taping because if she doesn't she can cause permanent damage to the ears do a search on google for correct ear taping, if you don't know how to do it you can put weight of the tape/insert in wrong spots/wrong way and it can pull the ears down instead of up even though it may look right to you. Keep us updated with pictures please.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 10:20 AM   #19 (permalink)

Here is a picture with her ears taped.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Any hope for these ears.-image.jpg  
Old 12-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #20 (permalink)

That looks fine to me! Did you make sure that the fold on the inside of the ears was tucked back when the tape was applied?
VanBuren shepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.