German Shepherds Forum banner

Please take a look at my pictures and tell me your opinion

17K views 93 replies 25 participants last post by  julie87 
#1 ·
Arexa is now almost 7 months old and I am really beginning to panic, seems like her ears are getting worse instead of better :( her most current photo shows like ears almost gave up. On picture where she is 5 moths old her ears would be like that every time in the car while driving, now not even that. Sometimes she will pick them up and they will be criss-cross, but mostly floppy. I have tryed taping 2 weeks ago for a few days it helped a little but as soon as the tape came off so did her ears :( I have tried tender mender glue for a few days got worse results than after tape. Today I put some breath strips in her ears with tender mender glue, I just don't know what to do anymore I hope I am just worried for nothing, she is my first GSD and I don't have much experience. It very important that her ears are up! Please tell me what I should do I am thinking of taking her to a professional to tape ears...

See less See more
#8 ·
why does the dog have a shaved area on his right forearm?
whatever is going on may be a stress response .
also what are you feeding ? thought I saw red yellow and green kibble (if so that can't be good) -- and the dog does not appear to have any muscle , seems to look like he is missing energy and animation , a little less as each month goes by .

let's see if nutrition will help.

#11 ·
The arm is shaved because she had spay surgery. I feed her Royal Canine/raw. That different color kibble you see is some natural food by Rachel Ray I bought when there was no big bags of her regular food at Pets Mart either way what does color have to do with it? Which picture are you referring to where the dog doesn't have muscle lol? I was actually thinking she might be just a little overweight. She has crazy energy very shiny coat and she is healthy everyone always asks what I feed her. And stress response? The dog is super happy and our home is any dog's dream, I don't work so she is with me all the time, going on trips, that dog is never alone she is the queen of the house the only stress she has is when the cat steals her food :)

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#9 ·
Personally, I would leave the ears alone and let them do whatever they want to do. If your dog is healthy, I wouldn't be concerned about the ears.

#13 ·
Usually, if the ears go up once, they'll go up again. Looks like they were up a couple months ago, so I wouldn't worry too much, but it's unusual for them to come up at 5 months and go down again at 7.

A pup's ears will flop when the pup is tired, or simply very relaxed. But stress could cause it also, I might hazard a guess that her spay surgery was very recent and she is still recovering. Even though a dog might not show signs of stress, anesthesia and surgery is always a big deal to a dog's system, so while her body is busy healing, it may not be putting much effort into making her ears stand.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that leaving the ears alone is the best thing you can do. I had a pup whose ears wouldn't stand, and I tried taping them (back then we used foam hair curlers) but I think I just made it worse. The ears never did stand.

#18 ·
Thank you you saying that if they were up before they will come back up again. Her ears started coming up at 3 months. Her spay was a month ago and her ears were criss-cross after that, and only a week ago it started being floppy but if she is outside they go cross cross again. Yesterday I put some breathe strips and tender mender here is a pic Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed German shepherd dog

#14 ·
Generally if her ears are doing all the funny flip flop stages and were up at one point or another they will be up by 1 yr al the time. Some dogs go up fast,quick and stay up while others take a while. Just love your dog having her ears up or down wont change how much she loves you.

#15 ·
I like Rachel Ray, like her recipes, like her cooking show , but dog food ? . Opening "working with a team of pet food experts" most likely means she was approached for permission to use her marketable image , celebrity "food" status to help market an average kibble . I don't see it as any great shakes
Chicken, Chicken Meal, Ground Rice, Corn Meal, Soybean Meal, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Corn Gluten Meal, Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Natural Flavor, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Dehydrated Alfalfa, Dried Peas, Dried Carrots, Dried Tomatoes, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Olive Oil, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Oxide, Dried Parsley, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Mixed Tocopherols, Niacin, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of vitamin K activity), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Sulfate, Folic Acid. "

Actually lots and lots of grains. I asked about the colours in the kibble because there are a lot of low ranked kibbles with coloured bits and pieces.
Royal Canin also ranks low .
That the arm is shaved because of a spay surgery has lots of meaning , because the dogs ears were better set in the before pictures. THIS is her stress response. She is a young dog in a growth phase . Surgery , recovery, even the anaesthetic is a physical stress. The anaesthethic will slow down digestion and takes a while to totally clear out of the system , which the liver plays an active part in doing. I wasn't suggesting the home wasn't caring and loving . I don't see her as being over weight at all , but I don't see her muscled either .
There are many ways to help cartilage and ligament through diet .

#20 ·
Like I previously mentioned I bought a small bag until petsmart gets Royal Canine back in stock. She is on half kibble and half raw, also I asked about ears not diet advise. I don't find your comments helpful at all seems like you are suggesting my dog is malnourished unhappy and has poor diet. Like I said she gets cottage cheese for extra calcium and plenty of chews and bones. If anyone else thinks my dog is underweight please say so because like I said She is my first GSD and I am trying to do whats best for her.

#19 ·
it is not important for ears to come up at all unless you want a show dog but showing dogs is not important either so it's not a problem.

you dog will still hear the same as any other dog so it's just looks.

do you like yr dog or just like a certain look?

nice looking pup - some other posters mentioned some other things you might want to consider, forget the ears unless you are hung up on appearance.

my dog had flying nun's ears until 12mo. they went up and down several times - i could not care less how they would have ended up.

#21 ·
I love those perky GSD ears, and it is important to have her ears stand up it helps avoid ear infections and it makes their hearing better. IMO GSD must have perky ears they look absolutely stunning :) but obviously her health is #1 priority I love my gorgeous girl just those floppy ears ruining her look. I do love floppy ears while they are small puppies though :)

#23 ·
Julie87

You are absolutely right, erect ears are the breed standard and flopped ears is a major fault.. Flopped ear shepherds can be more prone to ear infections.. I have researched this subject to death cause Nala is now eight months old has not had her ears stand on their own without ear forms or taping. .
Your pup looks like she has very good ear bases and also the fact they stood before, it really looks like they will stand again.
She is a great looking pup..

#31 ·
If you haven't used tear mender, then try that with a cone so the dog can't separate them. Leave on for about 2 weeks. During that time, use bully bones to get some chewing action going on. I didn't give up on my bitch, either. Sure, if all fails and you have a floppy eared shepherd, then that's what you have. However, I agree with you that there's no reason not to try. My female was really at the 'window closing' point before I got hers up. Hers had never been up, either. She was a heavy dog with thick ears, though. I think you have a better chance.

Carmen- I feed Innova right now because of the low protein. My understanding was that not only does the CA and Phos. need to be watched, but also super high protein. The protein in regular meat (like you and I would eat) isn't as high as the protein content in say Orijen. If I could get this answered, I'd consider switching to Orijen. My concerns are that Grim seems thin and short. Although I know his growth should come slowly for his joints... he's a high energy dog. I can get him to scarf his canned food or cooked meats, but the kibble he doesn't seem to have the attention span for. I've started feeding him kibble in his kennel to minimize distractions. If you can explain to me how that high of protein is helpful and non-harmful, I may switch him over. The stuff listed on your link about Innova isn't a good enough reason for me to change, and has nothing to do with why I'm even considering it. I am concerned with the risk of Pano from a high protein food, though. I'd appreciate your input on this. Thanks! :)

#34 ·
Julie 87
Her ears, mainly the right has only stood on a few occasions. I am really not sure what I will do if the taping fails. Since tape is not bothering her, and she is eight months old, I will keep taping until she is a year..if they don't stand she is still my dog and best friend and always will be even if I am disappointed that she doesn't have the GSD standards I paid the breeder for.

#35 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep
Read what Carmen wrote again. There is no way she is implying your dog is "malnourished unhappy and has a poor diet".

Diet can have a lot to do with ears, but I don't think she is lacking in calcium or anything else. The fact is, your pup is healing from surgery and she is growing fast, so the demands on her body are heavy at the moment. Pointy ears are the least important thing from the body's perspective, but they will almost certainly stand again when her body comes into equilibrium. I wouldn't mess with her ears at this point. They will stand when they're good and ready. :)

He or she was implying that in her other posts you must have missed,made me look like I'm a bad owner for no reason, anyway doesn't matter what I noticed is people on this forum don't post profile pictures on purpose to be able to make rude comments I know that diet is a huge deal in dogs health and I don't need a lecture about it I just wanted to get some opinions based on my dog's pictures.

Okey Dokey. What ever are you talking about . I am SHE,
I don't have a profile picture because 1) I don't know how to do it 2) I don't have a single favourite dog - feel the world about many of them - all having a special place, Asta, Chella, Tetley, Kilo, Simon, Bambi, Sumo -- but I constantly post links or pictures of my dogs and parse their pedigrees .
You got opinions on the pictures you presented. The dog looked like some of the energy seen in the first picture was dissapating. There was a point at which the ears which had been up, fell. So what is the reason . Look for clues in the pictures.
you say "And Carmen started saying that her paw is shaved does that mean I torchure my dog" seriously???

I NOTICED that her arm had a shave mark which indicates some medical/veterinary intervention either an illness and need for IV or as you said a spay operation. Look. The dog is what , 7 months . She has had a bushel full of things to contend with - removal from litter , new home, I don't know your vaccination protocol but taking a stab at it , I would guess that she has had the full complement as per vet prescribed schedule and rabies -- and that is a lot , and growth period , and then the spay -- and not so good food - because I would not rate Royal Canin highly , (dog food ratings report -- Royal Canin Medium Dog Food | Review and Rating Ingredients: Chicken meal, brown rice, rice, oat, chicken fat, corn gluten meal, natural chicken flavor, dried beet pulp, anchovy oil (source of EPA/DHA), dried brewers yeast, soya oil, potassium chloride, salt, calcium carbonate, dried brewers yeast extract (source of mannan-oligosaccharides), dried egg product, choline chloride, vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), biotin, D-calcium pantothenate, vitamin A acetate, niacin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), riboflavin (vitamin B2), folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement], trace minerals [zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, zinc proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite], L-carnitine, preserved with natural mixed tocopherols (source of Vitamin E) and citric acid, rosemary extract ) .
Muscle is built from protein. Ears are made of cartilage and collagen is an important / essential component , and collagen is a form of protein (forming cables) . Because the dog is growing, building , and is repairing from surgery a greater good quality protein is required. There are foods which assist the formation and integrity of collagen and ligaments. A "old-wives" remedy is to provide gelatin , as in Knox gelatin -- made from bones/connective tissue , skin. There are plant sources very rich in silica which benefit ligament, cartilage, connective tissue , / arteries, skin, hair, and bone . One plant source is vegetal-silica (horsetail/shavegrass) . Others would be barley grass , wheat grass , oatgrass, stinging nettle, dandelion leaf (and root) . Or there is always Silicea, or Biosil .
Vitamin C !! is essential for the development and maintenance of cartilage. British sailors soon found out to bring along cabbage and fruit to fight scurvy which was a degeneration of cartilage due to vitamin C deficiency. They were named "limeys" because of the reliance on C rich fruit .
For additonal protein add a heaping spoon of greek yogurt on to the food .

#36 ·
Jag -- I feed raw diet, have been doing so for almost 30 years. I don't see rapid growth spurts and have been lucky to only have the maybe 3 cases with pano, one litter two brothers both with pano to knock them flat and out of commission. Because there is a genetic proponent to pano, their sire and the two young males , as great as they were in other regards , were removed from my breeding program. When feeding raw , or the meat we would eat from the butcher has moisture content which changes the protein ratio . Kibble does not have that .
Dogs that go out to homes where raw feeding is not chosen are fed Orijen , and no problems reported.
Since pano is an inflammatory process I would make sure the dog got a good source of omega 3's, and whole-food rich in antioxidants and Vitamin C .

#37 · (Edited)
Jag - found this for you "Canine Orthopedics by Robert Brooks, DVM, M.S. He defines pano as a spontaneous, self-limiting inflammatory disease of the long bones that commonly appears in young, fast-growing dogs. Prognosis is excellent, but lameness may shift to other limbs and be intermittent for several months. He lists contributory causes: transient vascular abnormalities, allergies, metabolic disorders, stress, autoimmune reactions following viral or bacterial infections, first estrus in females, and it has been associated with von Willebrand's disease. "
Just the things that a strong immune system would resist . A strong immune system is helped along by good bioavailable sources of clean protein (hormone/anti biotic free) and by anti oxidants , anti inflammatories, omega 3 , and a good digestive system.

And this "Ok several mentioned that perhaps a too high protein diet may contribute to Pano, which Kai now has. Kai has been on Orijen LBP which is 42% protein and 16% fat. I know that there is still controversy on whether high protein contributes to the Pano so I am unsure if I should continue Kai on the Orijen LBP. Some studies indicate Calcium and Phosphorous levels are more of a contributing factor in rapid growth. When we started Kai on Orijen we too were cautious about the high protein so we emailed the company and got this response.
We believe the concern for large breed puppies isn't protein; it is the common byproduct of high protein diets which is ash and calcium and phosphorous. With dry dog foods, higher protein is generated through greater inclusions of meat meals and the meals are high in ash, which is a rich source of calcium and phosphorous. While science doesn't prove one way or the other, there is much debate over whether elevated calcium and phosphorous cause developmental problems in large breeds, by affecting the rate of development of the skeleton. Orijen uses special 'low ash' chicken ingredients to produce higher protein with moderate ash generating calcium and phosphorous levels that are suitable for large breed puppies. While there also used to be concern over higher protein levels affecting the growth of large breed puppies, this has really been debunked in recent years, although pet food producers with low protein foods will still argue the point.
Kind Regards from Canada,
Peter
Champion Foods

#38 ·
I want to make a comment regarding "taping can't damage her". In my limited experience, I want to say it CAN.

My puppy went through a phase where her ears went crazy. It was because I didn't notice her crate was too small for non-travel purposes, I think...not scientific, just a hunch. It was important for ME how her ears looked, like it is important for you, for various reasons. My breeder sent foam supports to be used with surgical glue on her. It worked really really well, and to be extra sure, I wanted to keep it in longer. One day, I posted a picture, and my breeder QUICKLY told me to take out her forms because they were dragging her ears down the way they were applied. Her ears did stand, because they stood on their own before. In addition to forms, I also fed the gelatin, gave TONS of chews from fresh bones to bully sticks, and fed a HIGH quality diet (Orijen LBP). My pup also had tons of exercise and walks in busy places so she was listening and alert. I share this not because I think you're a bad owner or whatever, I think your dog is lucky to have you home a lot. I share because this is what worked for me, and hopefully it'll help you.

Carmen is a tremendous help to all forum members, and her advice should be considered.

#41 · (Edited)
I want to make a comment regarding "taping can't damage her". In my limited experience, I want to say it CAN.

My puppy went through a phase where her ears went crazy. It was because I didn't notice her crate was too small for non-travel purposes, I think...not scientific, just a hunch. It was important for ME how her ears looked, like it is important for you, for various reasons. My breeder sent foam supports to be used with surgical glue on her. It worked really really well, and to be extra sure, I wanted to keep it in longer. One day, I posted a picture, and my breeder QUICKLY told me to take out her forms because they were dragging her ears down the way they were applied. Her ears did stand, because they stood on their own before. In addition to forms, I also fed the gelatin, gave TONS of chews from fresh bones to bully sticks, and fed a HIGH quality diet (Orijen LBP). My pup also had tons of exercise and walks in busy places so she was listening and alert. I share this not because I think you're a bad owner or whatever, I think your dog is lucky to have you home a lot. I share because this is what worked for me, and hopefully it'll help you.

Carmen is a tremendous help to all forum members, and her advice should be considered.

I taped her ears before but later on the foarm insert (for hair) started coming out of her ears like all the way on the top, so I took it off gave her 2 day break and then glued them using breathe strips and tender mender, so far its been 2 days her ears are standing and they are extra perky while on a walk. I will look into Orijen as soon as she is finished with her current bag. As far as bully sticks... well one time I went to the store in search of new chew for my girl I got her the bully stick, not realizing what it was I was excited to give it to her...after 2 hours passes my hubby says' you gave her bully stick do you even know what it is?" I was like "no" and he told me its dry bull penus. I didn't believe him so i did a google search, after I saw the results I RAN to get the that stick out of her mouth,NOPE sorry I will not give that to my dog and then kiss her face. I was very disturbed that day lol

#43 ·
Baron had a floppy right ear at just under five months and I took qbchottu's advise and handed him his first bully stick. Ear went up the next day and has stayed there. Hope things work out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.