Please take a look at my pictures and tell me your opinion - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 05:27 PM   #51 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
" stuffed raw hides she is busy for hours lol"

I would never give raw hide . Know too many incidents where dogs have run into serious, meaning fataly serious problems . Not only do many of them have preservatives which "embalm" them , or come from off-shore with who knows what else , but they come off in chunks and absorb moisture in the gut . There they begin to swell like a sponge taking up water . Indigestible , they saponify , get soapy-slimy. They act as a dam preventing food from going through the digestive system. Put pressure on tissue. They spoil in the gut creating bacterial havoc , tissue dies , necrotizes and then you have emergency surgery .
One of my high levels competition dogs spoiled by his loving owner was on the operating table and when it was evident how much damage had been done and how much of the intestine was dead , necrotic tissue, the owner and vet humanely kept him under the anaesthetic and helped him pass on to his next journey .
When the vet phoned the supplier / importer of these raw hide products they were lightning fast to respond with cash , compensation - without questions at all - so not unfamiliar with the problem .
Wow I didn't know that thank you for sharing there is a lot I still don't know she is my first GSD I will remove all the rawhides and tell all my friends who have dogs to discontinue these evil treats. Any other treats I should be aware of? I usually don't even buy her treats often chews yes but not treats. I give her boiled chicken breast when training her.. And other boiled meat sometimes... Oh and beef jerky rarely. Is beef jerky safe for dogs?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #52 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I , personally would pass on jerky treats . You have to read the package . Lots of salt, sugar, some with BHA or Nitrites , one had onion powder , colourants , then whatever chemicals some may have to make it smell (or taste) smoked .
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 07:06 PM   #53 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie87 View Post
Wow I didn't know that thank you for sharing there is a lot I still don't know she is my first GSD I will remove all the rawhides and tell all my friends who have dogs to discontinue these evil treats. Any other treats I should be aware of? I usually don't even buy her treats often chews yes but not treats. I give her boiled chicken breast when training her.. And other boiled meat sometimes... Oh and beef jerky rarely. Is beef jerky safe for dogs?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
For training treats, I also generally use fresh human ingredients, like boiled chicken. I sometimes also do an egg or kefir/yogurt and green tripe mixed with her kibble. I try to stick as close to natural training treats as possible so not to put too much junk in her as I do feed ALOT of training treats.

In terms of chews, I do give bully sticks (you can also get dried trachea, tendon, or something else more appealing to you). My dog also likes antlers. If you feed these, introduce them with the half sliced ones. She wasn't very interested in the full sized ones.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:18 AM   #54 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
I , personally would pass on jerky treats . You have to read the package . Lots of salt, sugar, some with BHA or Nitrites , one had onion powder , colourants , then whatever chemicals some may have to make it smell (or taste) smoked .
I ment the the beef jerky that humans eat, is that bad as well?
Old 11-24-2012, 11:17 AM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoplite6 View Post
Baron had a floppy right ear at just under five months and I took qbchottu's advise and handed him his first bully stick. Ear went up the next day and has stayed there. Hope things work out.
I have a same problem right now whith my lovely Lisa

She had 2 ears up and a week ago the right ear start flopy. I want to know if is to late or to early to do something

She is 5 months old
Sokoli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 11:19 AM   #56 (permalink)

Sokoli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 01:54 AM   #57 (permalink)
Master Member

I thought I would update everyone, Arexa is now 7 months old, I removed the glue and breathe strips 2 days ago. Her ears are still now up! That spay really messed her up because they were up before then now its been 2 months and her ears are a mess! Here is updated picture of her
Old 12-01-2012, 02:01 AM   #58 (permalink)
Crowned Member

could you post a picture of her standing ?
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 02:02 AM   #59 (permalink)
Master Member

yep,hang on
Old 12-01-2012, 02:05 AM   #60 (permalink)
Master Member

Here we go
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.