Please take a look at my pictures and tell me your opinion - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 05:37 AM   #41 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshies View Post
I want to make a comment regarding "taping can't damage her". In my limited experience, I want to say it CAN.

My puppy went through a phase where her ears went crazy. It was because I didn't notice her crate was too small for non-travel purposes, I think...not scientific, just a hunch. It was important for ME how her ears looked, like it is important for you, for various reasons. My breeder sent foam supports to be used with surgical glue on her. It worked really really well, and to be extra sure, I wanted to keep it in longer. One day, I posted a picture, and my breeder QUICKLY told me to take out her forms because they were dragging her ears down the way they were applied. Her ears did stand, because they stood on their own before. In addition to forms, I also fed the gelatin, gave TONS of chews from fresh bones to bully sticks, and fed a HIGH quality diet (Orijen LBP). My pup also had tons of exercise and walks in busy places so she was listening and alert. I share this not because I think you're a bad owner or whatever, I think your dog is lucky to have you home a lot. I share because this is what worked for me, and hopefully it'll help you.

Carmen is a tremendous help to all forum members, and her advice should be considered.

I taped her ears before but later on the foarm insert (for hair) started coming out of her ears like all the way on the top, so I took it off gave her 2 day break and then glued them using breathe strips and tender mender, so far its been 2 days her ears are standing and they are extra perky while on a walk. I will look into Orijen as soon as she is finished with her current bag. As far as bully sticks... well one time I went to the store in search of new chew for my girl I got her the bully stick, not realizing what it was I was excited to give it to her...after 2 hours passes my hubby says' you gave her bully stick do you even know what it is?" I was like "no" and he told me its dry bull penus. I didn't believe him so i did a google search, after I saw the results I RAN to get the that stick out of her mouth,NOPE sorry I will not give that to my dog and then kiss her face. I was very disturbed that day lol

Last edited by julie87; 11-18-2012 at 05:41 AM.
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 05:39 AM   #42 (permalink)
Master Member

OH and another thing I forgot to add, I have noticed that ever since i glued her ears she wants to chew A LOT more... I don't know if it has anything to do with her ears being glued but I was just in shock how much she wanted to chew. Also gluing is so much better than taping it is a million times easier to apply and it doesn't bother my girl, she only tried to scratch it once right when i put it on her.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:54 AM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbchottu View Post
7 months and both are still down? I think there is little chance now they will be completely up and normal. You can try taping or using inserts. Try giving raw chicken drumsticks or backs. Raw knuckle bones. Try bully sticks also. Hope for the best!
Baron had a floppy right ear at just under five months and I took qbchottu's advise and handed him his first bully stick. Ear went up the next day and has stayed there. Hope things work out.

Riley (GSD)
Baron (GSD)
Logan (GSD) - At the bridge
Caleb (GSD) - At the bridge
hoplite6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 08:50 AM   #44 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie87 View Post
I taped her ears before but later on the foarm insert (for hair) started coming out of her ears like all the way on the top, so I took it off gave her 2 day break and then glued them using breathe strips and tender mender, so far its been 2 days her ears are standing and they are extra perky while on a walk. I will look into Orijen as soon as she is finished with her current bag. As far as bully sticks... well one time I went to the store in search of new chew for my girl I got her the bully stick, not realizing what it was I was excited to give it to her...after 2 hours passes my hubby says' you gave her bully stick do you even know what it is?" I was like "no" and he told me its dry bull penus. I didn't believe him so i did a google search, after I saw the results I RAN to get the that stick out of her mouth,NOPE sorry I will not give that to my dog and then kiss her face. I was very disturbed that day lol
I didn't use hair rollers, but the foam is similar. Mine were cut out to fit the exact shape of the inside of her ears so there wasn't any extra weight. I used surgical cement. I also took it off as soon as the sides were coming loose since then parts of the ear may be dragged down by the foam and glue.

I also gave fresh knuckle bones, deer antlers, and frozen carrots I think.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:56 AM   #45 (permalink)
Crowned Member

the bully sticks are effective not because of the chewing action, because most dogs can practically inhale them, but because they are a source of collagen and chondroitin . You must be careful when buying this and make very sure that it is not a product from China as so many "treats" are . Buy only natural , no colour, no preservative, no flavouring , no "smoke" , plain dehydrated . Trachea will provide the same benefits. -- same chemistry as gelatin .
I have a raw pet boutique two roads over that buys boxes full of fresh raw pizzles and then dehydrates them . I can buy them fresh and floppy or dried . She also buys
boxes of trachea with the organs still on . If you are close to an Asian or West Indian grocer you can buy cow skin -- an excellent source of collagen . Or cow's feet which you can boil and have all that gelatin release. Or get yourself chicken carcass with the keel on and either give them these or make a bone broth , essentially making your own gelatin. Cow lips are good .
At this point you could go into a study of bone development. A fetus' skeleton is basically collagen , ossification takes time . This is why hip x rays show differently as the dog ages because the growth plates are cartilage , which can be damaged ! and will show as a gap on the x ray . Bone is ever changing, living , dynamic , responding to nutrition and physcial stresses - weight physical activity . Very interesting research being done in this area to prepare human-kind for living outside of the Earth's gravity on space stations where there is no gravity. Bone will lose its ossification .

So collagen is beneficial to bones , being the material which creates the scaffold for ossification .
Your dogs ears were up so the genetics are there . They fell because the dog had high demands but on his body . By mucking around with the ears you could create a problem by damaging the tissue. Feed well , and wait.
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 12:44 PM   #46 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie87 View Post
...after 2 hours passes my hubby says' you gave her bully stick do you even know what it is?" I was like "no" and he told me its dry bull penus. I didn't believe him so i did a google search, after I saw the results I RAN to get the that stick out of her mouth,NOPE sorry I will not give that to my dog and then kiss her face. I was very disturbed that day lol

So, is it more important for her ears to stand, or is it more important to protect yourself from the deadly "bull penus[sic]"?

Not that it matters, her ears will stand regardless.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 06:52 PM   #47 (permalink)
Master Member

Yes I think them will she has plenty of things to chew one of her favorites is stuffed femur bones and stuffed raw hides she is busy for hours lol

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 11-19-2012, 11:35 AM   #48 (permalink)
Crowned Member

" stuffed raw hides she is busy for hours lol"

I would never give raw hide . Know too many incidents where dogs have run into serious, meaning fataly serious problems . Not only do many of them have preservatives which "embalm" them , or come from off-shore with who knows what else , but they come off in chunks and absorb moisture in the gut . There they begin to swell like a sponge taking up water . Indigestible , they saponify , get soapy-slimy. They act as a dam preventing food from going through the digestive system. Put pressure on tissue. They spoil in the gut creating bacterial havoc , tissue dies , necrotizes and then you have emergency surgery .
One of my high levels competition dogs spoiled by his loving owner was on the operating table and when it was evident how much damage had been done and how much of the intestine was dead , necrotic tissue, the owner and vet humanely kept him under the anaesthetic and helped him pass on to his next journey .
When the vet phoned the supplier / importer of these raw hide products they were lightning fast to respond with cash , compensation - without questions at all - so not unfamiliar with the problem .
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 11:37 AM   #49 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Yeah, seriously, ditch the rawhide and stick with real bones.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 11:43 AM   #50 (permalink)
Banned

We never use rawhides here. Sometimes we get donations and they are in them, we just throw them away.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.