Please take a look at my pictures and tell me your opinion - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 08:46 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master Member
 
julie87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by x11 View Post
it is not important for ears to come up at all unless you want a show dog but showing dogs is not important either so it's not a problem.

you dog will still hear the same as any other dog so it's just looks.

do you like yr dog or just like a certain look?

nice looking pup - some other posters mentioned some other things you might want to consider, forget the ears unless you are hung up on appearance.

my dog had flying nun's ears until 12mo. they went up and down several times - i could not care less how they would have ended up.
I love those perky GSD ears, and it is important to have her ears stand up it helps avoid ear infections and it makes their hearing better. IMO GSD must have perky ears they look absolutely stunning but obviously her health is #1 priority I love my gorgeous girl just those floppy ears ruining her look. I do love floppy ears while they are small puppies though


Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-16-2012, 08:58 PM   #22 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Freestep's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern California
Posts: 6,116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie87 View Post
I asked about ears not diet advise. I don't find your comments helpful at all seems like you are suggesting my dog is malnourished unhappy and has poor diet. Like I said she gets cottage cheese for extra calcium and plenty of chews and bones. If anyone else thinks my dog is underweight please say so because like I said She is my first GSD and I am trying to do whats best for her.
Read what Carmen wrote again. There is no way she is implying your dog is "malnourished unhappy and has a poor diet".

Diet can have a lot to do with ears, but I don't think she is lacking in calcium or anything else. The fact is, your pup is healing from surgery and she is growing fast, so the demands on her body are heavy at the moment. Pointy ears are the least important thing from the body's perspective, but they will almost certainly stand again when her body comes into equilibrium. I wouldn't mess with her ears at this point. They will stand when they're good and ready.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 10:10 PM   #23 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 479
Default

Julie87


You are absolutely right, erect ears are the breed standard and flopped ears is a major fault.. Flopped ear shepherds can be more prone to ear infections.. I have researched this subject to death cause Nala is now eight months old has not had her ears stand on their own without ear forms or taping. .
Your pup looks like she has very good ear bases and also the fact they stood before, it really looks like they will stand again.
She is a great looking pup..
m1953 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 10:17 PM   #24 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northeastern Connecticut
Posts: 3,582
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1953 View Post
Your pup looks like she has very good ear bases and also the fact they stood before, it really looks like they will stand again.
I was thinking the same thing. Give her some time.
Whiteshepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 10:54 PM   #25 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: ontario -
Posts: 8,758
Default

calcium has nothing to do with ear cartilage or ligament .
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 12:19 AM   #26 (permalink)
Master Member
 
julie87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
Read what Carmen wrote again. There is no way she is implying your dog is "malnourished unhappy and has a poor diet".

Diet can have a lot to do with ears, but I don't think she is lacking in calcium or anything else. The fact is, your pup is healing from surgery and she is growing fast, so the demands on her body are heavy at the moment. Pointy ears are the least important thing from the body's perspective, but they will almost certainly stand again when her body comes into equilibrium. I wouldn't mess with her ears at this point. They will stand when they're good and ready.
He or she was implying that in her other posts you must have missed,made me look like I'm a bad owner for no reason, anyway doesn't matter what I noticed is people on this forum don't post profile pictures on purpose to be able to make rude comments I know that diet is a huge deal in dogs health and I don't need a lecture about it I just wanted to get some opinions based on my dog's pictures.


Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 12:24 AM   #27 (permalink)
Master Member
 
julie87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteshepherds View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Give her some time.
Thank you guys I'm glad you guys understand the importance of perky ears I will post more pictures later to see if there is progress


Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 12:25 AM   #28 (permalink)
Master Member
 
julie87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1953 View Post
Julie87


You are absolutely right, erect ears are the breed standard and flopped ears is a major fault.. Flopped ear shepherds can be more prone to ear infections.. I have researched this subject to death cause Nala is now eight months old has not had her ears stand on their own without ear forms or taping. .
Your pup looks like she has very good ear bases and also the fact they stood before, it really looks like they will stand again.
She is a great looking pup..
Did her ears ever stood before? What r ur plans if taping fails?


Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 12:31 AM   #29 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
PatchonGSD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,514
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie87 View Post
He or she was implying that in her other posts you must have missed,made me look like I'm a bad owner for no reason, anyway doesn't matter what I noticed is people on this forum don't post profile pictures on purpose to be able to make rude comments I know that diet is a huge deal in dogs health and I don't need a lecture about it I just wanted to get some opinions based on my dog's pictures.


Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Carmen wasnt trying to make you look like a bad owner. Nutrition is very important for proper development. She was just trying to give you helpful information. Carmen doesnt *not* have a profile picture so she can make rude comments. She is a well known and well respected breeder. Everyone knows who she is. If there was one person I would listen to about diet and nutrition-it would be Carmen.

I agree with the others though, let her ears be.
__________________
Balen Patchon Adopted 8-28-12

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1275860

Failure *is* success, if you learn from it.
PatchonGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 01:30 AM   #30 (permalink)
Master Member
 
julie87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchonGSD View Post
Carmen wasnt trying to make you look like a bad owner. Nutrition is very important for proper development. She was just trying to give you helpful information. Carmen doesnt *not* have a profile picture so she can make rude comments. She is a well known and well respected breeder. Everyone knows who she is. If there was one person I would listen to about diet and nutrition-it would be Carmen.

I agree with the others though, let her ears be.
I don't want to let her ears just do their thing, why? Because she is going to be 7 months old on 11/26 what should I wait for? It doesn't hurt her to have her ears taped/glued. Im afraid if I wait they won't ever be up again and then she will be floppy GSD all her life, my goal was to find out from other members here based on my pictures to see if her ears are they way they are now if they will ever be up on their own.

And Carmen started saying that her paw is shaved does that mean I torchure my dog? And dog doesn't have ANY muscle? Seriously Carmen you are a breeder and you say she has NO muscle? Did she not see my pictures what is her definition of "musculant" dog....I really don't want to make this into a drama thread so lets just leave it at that. I dont mean to be rude to anyone and please lets just move on. Carmen, thank you for your concern about nutrition I understand that it is very important because it affects her whole health and her life span not just her ears.
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:37 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com